PDA

View Full Version : Road Tested 2019 FXDR

Rick
28-12-2018, 04:03 PM
Over the festive period I had the loan from my local dealer of a 2019 FXDR. Anyone else ridden one or even bought one? The bike in my opinion is very much aimed at the sports bike rider, it's aggressive styling, relatively low handlebars and overall looks are not unlike the old V Rod.
1.Wheels - very smart with solid billet at rear, with massive tyre to match.
2. Excellent brakes, twin up front.
3. Front brake reservoir has at last a view glass!
4. Multifunctional display unit, very neat, but for me a bit too small.
5. Great engine performance from the 114ci M8 lump.
6. Fully adjustable suspension back and front.
7. Good trip from Michelin Commanders.
8. No vibration on tick over - mirrors remain clear!
9.Excellent LED lighting.
10. No ignition switch - just carry fob and press starter!
11. Improved steering lock.
12. Great handling.
13. Upside down front forks.
14. Throttle by wire, very responsive.
15. Nice exhaust note, complimented by the heavy breather air filter.

Dislikes
1. Uncomfortable riding position, low bars and feet forward, for me a complete non starter!
2. Small foot pegs that would need replacing.
3. Small rear brake pedal with no rubber grip, just painted steel.
4. Small side stand that is awkward to use.
5. Tiny front plastic mudguard.
6. Extensive use of plastic on rear mudguard, belt guard, lighting cluster, indicators, panels etc.
7. Mirrors are the same as on my 5 year old Dyna!
8. Air filter box sticks out too much, difficult to operate rear break.
9. Overall look, you either love of hate, I'm not in either camp, I quite like the aggressive style, but it's not a look I could permanently live with.
10. No real touring capability.
11. Overall quality of components seems to have dropped.
12. H-D lettering on tank quite faint.

Would I buy one - no, I still prefer my twin cam 103 Fat Bob, despite it's inferiority in so many areas compared to the New FXDR, it still makes me smile when riding it, is comfortable and has more than enough pulling power for most riders. But each to their own, I'd be interested to hear what others think of the New FXDR?

patrick
28-12-2018, 05:52 PM
FUGLY overpriced Underpowered Diavel wannabee [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Fast Lane
28-12-2018, 06:10 PM
Good review - you covered everything that matters. I've seen the photos and the looks are that far against the grain for me that I haven't even bothered to look at one in the flesh. I can see that they would appeal to riders that are brand new to HD ...

kiwidave
29-12-2018, 03:50 AM
I've seen one in the flesh and you are right, all that plastic at the back, and with the air intake, are a major stylistic turnoff. It's not as aesthetically tidy as the V-Rod.

Not that I would ever be in the market for either.

Dazzlin
18-01-2019, 07:31 AM
Having seen this bike in the showroom, my initial impression was not great with it's plastic car like air filter housing and overall look, but just seen this bike by Thunderbike Harley Davidson (https://www.thunderbike.com/)and it is a transformation to something I would actually ride. Thoughts?

ss2
18-01-2019, 12:54 PM
Phwooaaar!

Gizmo
18-01-2019, 01:17 PM
When it came the the rear bodywork it seems like they just gave up and chopped the surplus of. What were they thinking?

Acres of plastic and not one single detail line flows into another.

I am not a fan of keyless systems unless there is a lock button on the fob that disables the function as you get on car systems.