PDA

View Full Version : Inbox Empty

Limey_Dave
29-01-2009, 08:22 PM
When I got home from work this morning I clicked on email and apart from 3 that had just downloaded,the inbox was empty.
"sent" and sub folders are ok.

Xp Pro + Outlook Express.

Am I right in thinking that these were stored in cyberspace somewhere,not on my computer?
Was thinking of trying a restore point to see if they showed up.

Floyd
29-01-2009, 09:30 PM
Hmmm..... not in cyberspace.
Usually stored in a file C:\Documents and Settings\Floyd\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{D70FACBD-6423-4F22-87FB-CF62B3DA8C76}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

..or similar.

Have you tried a send and receive?
Do you have a backup of any sort?
Check Tools Options, maintenance tab, to see if it is set to delete messages after a few days.
Have you done any recent microsoft updates?
Restore point would be a last option.

Mrs T
29-01-2009, 11:05 PM
:p :p :D
When I got home from work this morning I clicked on email and apart from 3 that had just downloaded,the inbox was empty.

Am I right in thinking that these were stored in cyberspace somewhere,not on my computer?

That's cos you are unwanted, and unloved
:D :D :D

Roger
30-01-2009, 08:35 AM

It's unlikely that a restore point will do any good, unless the location of the message store has been corrupted in the registry. But worth a try.

Your best bet is to do a search for the message store.

There's a useful article here (http://www.mindspring.com/%7Eoe_oh/recovering_a_lost_message_store.htm)

HogHog
30-01-2009, 07:33 PM

Hi - had the same thing happen to me about 9 months ago - and everybody I told looked at me with a disbelieving look, so although I'm sorry for you - it makes me feel better.

I never did find them, but luckily had them downloaded on another computer and they were still there, so the fault was obviously within my own PC. I doubt if you're going to be able to retrieve them from within your PC, as the computer engineer that looked at mine (£45 per hour + VAT) couldn't.

However - If you have set your mail account to say "Leave Copy on Server" then you can get them back I think, but most people don't set it that way.

And yes - it was just the Inbox that disappeared