+++ HARLEY-DAVIDSON RIDERS CLUB GREAT BRITAIN - ESTABLISHED 1949 +++

Go Back   The Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain > Rowdy > Beer Tent
©2000-2012 Harley-Davidson Riders Club

Beer Tent Chatter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2014, 08:05 PM
Club Member

Smile new harleys 750/500

Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on the new Harleys that are to be introduced in 2015(I think) to me it sounds like a good way of getting the younger kids into Harleys ,although Im not really sure about the water cooling.
On the other hand I suppose that's the going to be the future for most bikes due to ever tougher noise regulations etc.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:45 PM
Club Member

Re: new harleys 750/500

introduction models for the younger ones, ahhh .... and getting the die hards ready for huge rads on water cooled Sporties and Dynas ect that as sure as eggs is eggs will one day grace the show rooms.
not for me.. good job there will be plenty of old air cooled HD's around for years to come.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:33 PM
Club Member

Big pile of shite, HD dumbing down and big mistake by the MoCo IMHO

Stealth Glide

www.morduebrewery.com
Area 51
Old 08-01-2014, 10:33 PM
Non Member

If harley want to get young blood on there bikes then they need a small cc bike. A scooter would be a good idea. They could call it a topper after charly sheens role in hot shots.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:53 PM
Club Member

I agree with Bryan. HD have been dumbing down for years - what other motorcycle do you have to spend 1k plus on as soon as it comes off the showroom floor, just make it run and sound like it should!!

New blood is welcome in my book. The whole Harley scene is so busy looking back at the past with rose tinted glasses that it can't see what's in the future.

And another thing!!! Who here rides a completely stock bike anyway?! People will have the option to make these new bikes exactly what they want them to be - just like we do.

Old 08-01-2014, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucker View Post
I agree with Bryan. HD have been dumbing down for years - what other motorcycle do you have to spend 1k plus on as soon as it comes off the showroom floor, just make it run and sound like it should!!

New blood is welcome in my book. The whole Harley scene is so busy looking back at the past with rose tinted glasses that it can't see what's in the future.

And another thing!!! Who here rides a completely stock bike anyway?! People will have the option to make these new bikes exactly what they want them to be - just like we do.

Despite liking my own Harleys old, oily and traditional, from the point of view of new bike sales I think you're right. Harley have woken up to the inescapable fact that liquid-cooled cruisers are only sneered at these days by the people who wouldn't be seen dead in an H-D showroom anyway; they'll also keep the aftermarket business (servicing and goodies) far easier on the new bikes because the independents won't be geared up for it.

There will of course always be a market for the air-cooled bikes, even if H-D stop making them; my guess is that in ten years time California will have legislated them out of existence anyway. Once that happens, air-cooled Harleys will go the same way as the VW Beetle; built in another country (possibly India) whilst there's sufficient worldwide demand on a much smaller scale but probably with a higher profit margin. Alternatively, if they can no longer sell them new in the USA they might not bother at all.
Old 09-01-2014, 01:52 PM
Wise Man/Hon. Life memb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironmike953 View Post
If harley want to get young blood on there bikes then they need a small cc bike. A scooter would be a good idea. They could call it a topper after charly sheens role in hot shots.
..oh like that could ever happen....
Old 09-01-2014, 01:57 PM
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanp View Post
Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on the new Harleys that are to be introduced in 2015(I think) to me it sounds like a good way of getting the younger kids into Harleys ,although Im not really sure about the water cooling.
On the other hand I suppose that's the going to be the future for most bikes due to ever tougher noise regulations etc.

They come with their own detailing kit...

The only Buell in the village!
Old 09-01-2014, 04:39 PM
Treasurer

I will reserve judgement. In order to get input from an experienced rider of their products, It is possible that the MoCo will approach me for my opinion in the fairly near future. I anticipate that they will provide me with a bike so that I can thrash the living day lights out of it and then give a brief report of what's wrong with it for their edification. Sadly, when this happens I will probably be sworn to secrecy.
Old 09-01-2014, 05:46 PM
Club Member

I saw a video which had people customize 3 bikes which made me think they look better. Quite like the first one and also the last one. Video is here.

That being said, someone who buys one of these will probably buy it because they want a new HD and can't afford 10K for the 48 or whatever. Then they probably won't be able to spend 100s-1000s on all these mods that make it look decent. Will be interesting to see what some people who aren't tied to HD do with them in terms of customization though.

If these were out when I was looking for a bike I'd have rather spent 4K on an older XL than what... 6K on a brand new Harley street.