The Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

+++ HARLEY-DAVIDSON RIDERS CLUB GREAT BRITAIN - ESTABLISHED 1949 +++

Go Back   The Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain > Technical > Custom Zone
©2000-2012 Harley-Davidson Riders Club

Custom Zone Custom Bikes, Chops, Builds and Winter Projects

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26-06-2012, 10:37 AM
Non Member

Extra fuel capacity on my Forty Eight:- Any Ideas

Hi I have a Forty Eight which I love to bits, Peanut Tank and all!! But... it is driving me mad!!!!! Having to work out where the petrol stations are on a long journey is NOT FUN!! Some bright spark gave me the idea of fabricating an extra tank somewhere on the bike and connecting it to the main tank by way of a pipe and incorporating a fuel pump.

I know that there must be someone out there who has either done something like, or is an idea's genius, so, please, can you put your thinking caps on and come up with a way of doing this? Just to stop me having to spoil the look of the bike by putting on a larger tank, I don't really want to do this. I have also thought of just getting a bigger tank for the longer journeys, but I don't want the hassel on having to change the tank over everytime.

Last edited by Metalika; 26-06-2012 at 10:40 AM.
Old 26-06-2012, 10:53 AM

Re: Extra fuel capacity on my Forty Eight:- Any Ideas

On my 05 xl I changed to the Custom Tank 17Lts. The seat had to be changed as the tank is longer but the tank bolts on without any messing. It makes the Sportster a 1st class tourer. My RK is easier on packing quickly but not as much fun.
Old 26-06-2012, 11:19 AM
Club Member

I had the problem on my Nightster. I got a Zodiac tank fitted plus new seat. If you like the peanut shape and don't want to get a new seat, talk to a customiser, they suggested I get my tank spliced & stretched to add capacity.

Only go to a good 'un as you don't want to bugger up the steering lock when turning.
Old 26-06-2012, 11:58 AM
Club Member

I looked at one for my glide it held about two gallons and fitted to the rack behind the sissy bar, it was linked to the main tank with a pump that. Of be switched on once you were down about 1/4 tank , it pumped the two gallons up front whilst on the move. It was expensive and in the states and probably ruin the look of a forty eight. How about a single side swing arm bag in black leather seemingly quite cool on a forty eight and you could carry some probably 3 1 litre alloy fuel containers , you'd need to stop to top up though:439
Old 26-06-2012, 12:13 PM
Club Member

Try here Auxillary Fuel Tank. Seems its a four gallon unit that could get you a fair distance
Old 26-06-2012, 01:22 PM
Club Member

A larger tank would seem to be the best option.

I like Berts idea.

That tank would make a helluva beer barrel
Old 26-06-2012, 01:36 PM

If you like the look of your bike,lashing extra tanks on,seems to defeat the object.
What's the range of your tank,90 miles? There's not many places in this country where you go 90 miles without seeing a garage,reset the trip counter and fill up as and when.If you spent the money on a half decent sat nav,you can press a button anytime,to find the nearest fuel.
On a carb bike,you need the hoses and valves/taps.On an injection bike,you need to get a boss welded into the tank.
Also take into account,the insurance implications,and if you'd be excluded from Chunnel/Ferries.
At the end of the day,your choice,comfort or heels.
Old 26-06-2012, 01:43 PM
Club Member

04-UP LaRosa Harley Sportster Right Side Saddle Bag on eBay!

is the side bag I refer to and

Trangia 1L Fuel Bottle | GO Outdoors

the said bottles , defo the cheapest option and looks cool as well hope this helps ............ Bert.
Old 26-06-2012, 01:52 PM
Club Member

If you want to go touring, buy a touring bike, I can get well over 200 miles per tank on mine

Stealth Glide

www.morduebrewery.com
Area 51
Old 26-06-2012, 02:09 PM
Club Member

Gary , I heark back to our Stuarties run out to the Gaerloch last year in our very own Highlands where the fuel stops are few and far between , our very own Commander Zero on his 883 sporty was spotted lagging behind by myself so I stopped to see all was well , when he stopped I found out that he was running on fumes with almost 15 miles to go and we hadnt ridden past any fuel stops since Fort William , so there are areas of the UK still with few stations where a Sporty rider could find themselves stranded by the roadside for the sake of a few litres of go juice.

The side bag with a litre or two in approved fuel cannisters could be a lifesaver or at least peace of mind whilst waiting on your reserve light coming on ..... Bert.