The Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

+++ HARLEY-DAVIDSON RIDERS CLUB GREAT BRITAIN - ESTABLISHED 1949 +++

Go Back   The Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain > Technical > Custom Zone
©2000-2012 Harley-Davidson Riders Club

Custom Zone Custom Bikes, Chops, Builds and Winter Projects

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15-02-2010, 09:21 PM
Club Member

Re: foot clutch....how many of you?

I've ran a foot clutch for the past thirty years, once you've been out on the road it becomes second nature.
But the rocker pedal set up is better in todays traffic.

Old 15-02-2010, 10:32 PM
right charlie

wow, you guys are hard core, good luck to you all.
i dont think im a good enough rider to be able to master it, and im going to convert it back to "normal"
Old 15-02-2010, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by right charlie View Post
wow, you guys are hard core, good luck to you all.
i dont think im a good enough rider to be able to master it, and im going to convert it back to "normal"
Charlie, up till the mid 1950's EVERY Harley rider was good enough to manage it 'cos that's all there was!

It really isn't as difficult as it looks, though a genuine "suicide" is a fair bit less forgiving than the rocker pedal set-up.

It has one other advantage BTW; puts casual thieves off riding your pride and joy away.

A properly set-up 45 not only has a hand change and foot clutch, it also has the front brake lever on the left, where you'd expect the clutch to be. Causes endless amusement when watching hapless MOT testers try and figure it out!
Old 16-02-2010, 05:19 AM
Club Member

I was just about to make the same remark.

there is nothing ''wow, hardcore!!'' about it. It was standard operating procedure for every motorcycle rider once upon a time. Check out the vintage pix of the ladies shifting gear.....

I do think it LOOKS COOL, though. So that's why i did it. If you want to master it, you will. Easily.
Old 16-02-2010, 07:57 PM
Non Member

I put a suicide clutch and jockey shift on my bike,- basically just because I like "back to basics riding" same as I hate automatic motors.
It took a few days to get used to on open roads it's really easy a dab of clutch and a quick shove on the stick. Riding about town takes a bit of practice,- you have to keep your clutch foot on the peddle so your other foot is on the floor at stop,- no back brake at lights etc. Turning left from stop takes practice with no steadying foot,- you just get used to giving it a handful. The main thing is having confidence if you hesitate or f**k about you fall off,- simple.
Original suicide set up on my Evo...

I had a big off (not on this) & decided I had to make riding it easier. I fitted a semi automatic clutch on the suicide set up. See here,- http://www.harley-davidson-hangout.c...to-clutch.html - It means that in first gear the bike works like a twist and go when the revs fall below an (adjustable) set level the clutch will disengage,- meaning that bike will sit at stop in gear and engage the clutch when you open the throttle. To change gear you still have to give it a dab of clutch but it is extremely light.
Old 17-02-2010, 08:45 PM
right charlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidave View Post
I was just about to make the same remark.

there is nothing ''wow, hardcore!!'' about it. It was standard operating procedure for every motorcycle rider once upon a time. Check out the vintage pix of the ladies shifting gear.....

I do think it LOOKS COOL, though. So that's why i did it. If you want to master it, you will. Easily.
the "wow" remark was for "today", and i still think its hardcore,dont forget we all used to use leaded fuel (4 star) we dont do that anymore either.

ill get my coat
Old 19-02-2010, 11:10 AM
Non Member

Foot clutch nae bother all you need is an extra wheel.

Last edited by vor; 02-07-2010 at 06:59 PM.
Old 19-02-2010, 11:57 AM

Quote:
the "wow" remark was for "today", and i still think its hardcore,dont forget we all used to use leaded fuel (4 star) we dont do that anymore either.
You don't use leaded fuel? bloody lightweight!
Old 23-02-2010, 01:36 PM
Non Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgyloner View Post

I'm trying to convince myself that if I treat the left hand side of me as a car and the right hand side as a normal bike it will all be ok...........
That's a good way to look at it. I have a ratchet top on my tranny, but have rigged up a tank-side shift lever (rather than jockey shift, under my left buttock, which i didn't much like!), and designed the linkage so that you pull it back towards you to change up a gear and push it forwards to change down, analogous to shifting up or down between gears in the same gate in a car (1 & 2, or 3 & 4).

Another point worth mentioning is that it's important to get the relationship right between the clutch pedal and whatever it is that you rest your left foot on.
If it's just a footpeg then the pedal needs to be placed such that to operate it you're simply rotating your foot around the peg, using your ankle joint; if you have to lift your foot off the peg to use the clutch (and i've seen a few of them!) then you're asking for trouble!
But much better is to stick with footboards: aside from being much nicer on long runs, it's ideal to be able to rest your heel on the footboard (wherever it feels right) whilst operating the clutch pedal - just like in a car!

Last edited by MONTY; 23-02-2010 at 01:42 PM.
Old 23-02-2010, 05:31 PM
right charlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Steve View Post
You don't use leaded fuel? bloody lightweight!

can you still get leded fuel? or do you have to add a suppliment to unleded?
because im told there are still some philastines roaming around our isle