The Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

+++ HARLEY-DAVIDSON RIDERS CLUB GREAT BRITAIN - ESTABLISHED 1949 +++

Go Back   The Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain > Technical > Evo Big Twins
©2000-2012 Harley-Davidson Riders Club

Evo Big Twins
Evolution Big Twin 1984 -1999

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18-05-2009, 10:57 PM
Club Member

Fork oil change

98 FXD ...can anyone tell me do I have to slacken off the pinchbolts on the yolks before undoing top nuts....dont have to on my WG and cant remember if I did (tho dont think so) on my FXD.....

6 out of 7 dwarfs...are not happy
Old 18-05-2009, 11:38 PM

Re: Fork oil change

I would guess that if you do that the legs will turn in the yokes when you try to undo the nuts, so I think not!

As a point of interest (some) Harley mechanics drain the old oil then refill from the drain hole with some sort of syringe. So they don't remove the top nuts. Sneaky or what?!
Old 18-05-2009, 11:43 PM
Membership Secretary

Quote:
Originally Posted by grbrown View Post
I would guess that if you do that the legs will turn in the yokes when you try to undo the nuts, so I think not!

As a point of interest (some) Harley mechanics drain the old oil then refill from the drain hole with some sort of syringe. So they don't remove the top nuts. Sneaky or what?!
Like this syringe on ebay? Okay, I sell these syringes. How they're used I couldn't tell you, but I know peeps buy them for forks & brake bleeding.
Sir Thomas Beecham is reported to have said to a female cellist who was having a particularly poor rehearsal, "Madam, you have between your legs an instrument capable of giving pleasure to thousands, and all you can do is scratch it!".

大麻

Peter Cook said "I have learned from my mistakes, and I am sure I can repeat them exactly".

Old 19-05-2009, 02:41 AM
Club Member

Quote:
That would depend if you want to remove the forks or not Chris. Always loosen the top nut before anything else. If it has quite a few thousand miles, it is a good time & pretty simple job to strip them down , clean & inspect all the parts. Fork bushings are cheap, & it is always good to clean out all the old oil & sludge.

Quote:
Good sneaky trick, but only possible with air suspension. Drain the old oil, put the correct refill amount into a jar. Jam one end of a clear rubber hose (which has to fit tight) into the fork drain hole, & the other into the jar.

Hook up a vacuum brake bleeder onto the suspension air valve (remembering to take the air valve centre out) & suck the fork oil up into the forks. Remove vacuum & install the drain plug as soon as the jar empties.

If you don`t have air forks, remove the top nut, drill a hole in the middle & install a metal tyre valve stem.

You can put a little air in to beef up the suspension, & it makes fork oil changing nice & easy.
Old 19-05-2009, 08:53 AM
Club Member

OK thanks for the replies guys...think I'l do it the conventional way,didnt think I touched those pinchbolts.

6 out of 7 dwarfs...are not happy