The Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

+++ HARLEY-DAVIDSON RIDERS CLUB GREAT BRITAIN - ESTABLISHED 1949 +++

Go Back   The Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain > Technical > Evo Big Twins
©2000-2012 Harley-Davidson Riders Club

Evo Big Twins
Evolution Big Twin 1984 -1999

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29-09-2011, 02:38 PM
mrjoe2u

Conversion Electra into Road King front

Hi, My ride is an FLHS 1988. I want to convert the front into a Road King front, changing nacelle, gas tank, instruments in the tank. Several years ago I bought a copy of Hot Bike (could be Hot Rod Bikes) with an article that described this conversion with pictures. The mechanic who performed the conversion was called "the doctor". I lost that copy. Maybe someone remembers that article and still owns a copy. If you would be willing to sell the mag or sell me a copy of that article, I'll but it.

thank's

Hein

the Netherlands
Old 29-09-2011, 03:46 PM
Club Member

Re: Conversion Electra into Road King front

This has come up in the forum a couple of times in the past. You will need to search the forum for the info.

The only thing i would say is that there may be some issues with the fork yokes (trees) as electras have the fork tubes behind the headstock.

happy hunting
Old 29-09-2011, 04:33 PM
mrjoe2u

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiemac View Post
This has come up in the forum a couple of times in the past. You will need to search the forum for the info.

The only thing i would say is that there may be some issues with the fork yokes (trees) as electras have the fork tubes behind the headstock.

happy hunting

I did and I can't find any threads that deal with the technical issues
Old 29-09-2011, 05:43 PM
Club Member

Converting Electra Glide to Road King - Harley Davidson Forums

general view is its too much like hard work and very expensive! cheaper and better to sell glide and buy RK!.....
Old 29-09-2011, 05:52 PM
mrjoe2u

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twizzle View Post
Converting Electra Glide to Road King - Harley Davidson Forums

general view is its too much like hard work and very expensive! cheaper and better to sell glide and buy RK!.....

I bought allready about 95% of the parts on e-Bay. Keeping the costs down and I don't want to part from my electra. riding this bike since 1990 on.
Old 29-09-2011, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiemac View Post

happy hunting
All the touring models do. The RKs are just tarted up FLHSs. Original is best!

I looked into fitting a batwing to mine, which required relocating the speedo etc. It proved too daunting for my liking. One of the problems is that there are no wiring diagrams available for the International spec FLHSs of that era, which are significantly different to US spec. So a decent knowledge of electrics is required to do a competent job.
Old 29-09-2011, 06:26 PM
Club Member

I did a similar thing with a Twin cam, I bought a 2003 full spec ultra that had been crashed, and not wanting a full dress glide went down this road.

I repaired and kept the same tank so my main problem was how to get the massive amount of wiring from inside the ultra's batwing to fit inside a road king nacelle (which went straight on but was never a good fit untill I did some minor re-fabricting).

Luckily I found a very good electrics man locally who set about the wiring and cut it back to the minimum that we needed, and it was still a tight squeeze.

Other hurdles have mainly been getting the nacelle, which I think was a slack arsed effort to start with, to fit tight and snug as i dont have a switch etc in the usual place, and relocating the speedo.

The quality and finish of modern parts being the main let down, Hope this helps.
Old 30-09-2011, 09:59 AM
mrjoe2u

thank's, but this does not solve my problem. the triple tree should ne altered/chenged ia some way, to prevent an ugly gap between the RK gastank and the triple tree. the problem is that I cannot find out what changes have to be made. also there is indeed the aspect of wiring and I'd like to keep the air regulated shocks.
Old 30-09-2011, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjoe2u View Post
thank's, but this does not solve my problem. the triple tree should ne altered/chenged ia some way, to prevent an ugly gap between the RK gastank and the triple tree. the problem is that I cannot find out what changes have to be made. also there is indeed the aspect of wiring and I'd like to keep the air regulated shocks.
Take a look at Ronnies Harley website in the USA, where you will be able to see the parts lists for your bike and an RK, which should help you identify any differences between the two.

There is nothing ugly about an FLHS, so it is the RK that is at fault.....
Old 30-09-2011, 12:34 PM

I think you will have that gap whatever tank you use.
This is a 1981 FLHS

This is a 1989

You could keep your tank,fit the Revcounter housing that fits to the fork cover,and put a speedo in it.
Most Glides I've seen converted have a small speedo clamped to the bars.

Last edited by Limey_Dave; 30-09-2011 at 12:40 PM.