The Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

+++ HARLEY-DAVIDSON RIDERS CLUB GREAT BRITAIN - ESTABLISHED 1949 +++

Go Back   The Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain > Technical > Evo Sportsters
©2000-2012 Harley-Davidson Riders Club

Evo Sportsters
For Ironhead please post in
Vintage & Classic Section

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2006, 08:56 PM
Riffter

Question Aarrghh!! Condensation!!!

DOOM

I've had my Sporty a couple of weeks, and since all this savage rain, my Hog has been dripping with condensation in my shed .

The shed is a large double-door wooden number, and it's always housed my bikes with no trouble, but it's started to get rather damp. I'm thinking about forking out on one of those metal garages/sheds and demolishing the wooden one - has anyone got one of the metal numbers, and if so, how have you found them??

I kinda figured I'd get a concrete floor in, and it'd be nigh-on hermetically sealed compared to my present shed, which has gaps galore. But then again, perhaps the metal ones would still leave my Hog covered in the wet stuff Whaddya reckon??

Cheers,

Riffter
Old 10-03-2006, 09:25 PM
Secretary

Re: Aarrghh!! Condensation!!!

I have a biike safe for my sporty.
No condensation - whatever the weather.

and still eating corners for breakfast.
Old 10-03-2006, 10:39 PM
Non Member

Had a metal shed which was well sealed, condensation all winter, most of the damp comes from the floor. Added base and damp proof menbrane, insulated roof and walls. Then added vents for air circulation, no more wet stuff.

http://www.readersheds.co.uk/readers...?showtopic=378
Old 10-03-2006, 11:51 PM
P.R.Howler

Steel sheds are OK if they are well vented, how warm is the bike when you put it in the shed, might be causing its own condensation.
Putting a warm/hot bike into a STEEL shed then closing it will cause this.
Old 13-03-2006, 10:44 AM
Non Member

Sue

What is a bike safe

Ta!

Magick
Old 13-03-2006, 11:27 AM
Fubar

Magick have a look here http://www.motoeurope.com/bikesafe.html

A mate of mine who lives in a flat has one. Manages to get is big BMW in there with no problems. He has not mentioned any problems with condensation and he bung it in there when the bike is still warm when he gets home from work. Even got a discount on his insurance as before it was just chained to a post in his garden.

Fubar
Old 13-03-2006, 01:19 PM
Non Member

Thanks Fubar

they look just the job - my bike is currently under a bike cover and under a garden gazebo but I like the look of the proper shelters
Old 13-03-2006, 10:37 PM
Riffter

Llew -

I think I'm gonna tread your path, my friend. My shed is buggered - lots of damp and big holes. Has been alright for old nails, but my Sporty deserves more!!

So, I'm gonna invest in a metal shed/garage, then insulate it. I'm not insanely over-protective over my Hog - I'm an all weather rider after all (although I try to avoid salt whenever possible) - but I give it a wash down after work most nights and blow dry it off.

Im just so alarmed at the condensation when I get her out the next day - she's literally been dripping some days - and no I don't put her in warm. I'm in Stoke-on-Trent, and we do have thick clay underneath us, which is a bugger for damp. However, I'm sure that this method will keep most of it out.

My main prob is laying a foundation for the shed/garage (don't know which size to go for yet) to go on. My drive is tarmac, so I was thinking about digging down, then concreting. Or I could flag it. Any ideas which would be the best method folks, as I'm definitely no expert when it comes to such things!!

Cheers,

Riffton
Old 13-03-2006, 10:39 PM
Secretary

We just put the bike safe direct on the concrete. It lives beside our garage.
been there almost 3 years with no problem.

and still eating corners for breakfast.
Old 15-03-2006, 05:07 PM
Club Member

I've concrete in my garage and then put offcuts of carpet over it. I have a high up opening to allow a draught of air through, burner for the boiler is in there and the metal garage door is painted black on the outside to get the sun which keeps a degree of heat on any sunny day, even in winter.