The Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

+++ HARLEY-DAVIDSON RIDERS CLUB GREAT BRITAIN - ESTABLISHED 1949 +++

Go Back   The Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain > Technical > Evo Sportsters
©2000-2012 Harley-Davidson Riders Club

Evo Sportsters
For Ironhead please post in
Vintage & Classic Section

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13-10-2006, 09:20 PM
petevmax

dynojet kits

hi all,has anybody fitted a dynojet kit on thier sporty them selves?,im about to do this myself and fit a k&n filter will this make much difference to the power or not?

cheers pete
Old 14-10-2006, 08:45 AM
Club Member

Re: dynojet kits

Extremely easy, if you have the peanut tank you will most likely not even have to remove it or the carb and cables if it is a rubber mounted model.
The hardest part is getting the screws out the carb to remove the float bowl.

See below
http://www.harley-davidson-hangout.c...hlight=dynojet

Old 15-10-2006, 01:13 AM
Folkie

Just as a matter of interest, why are you thinking of using the Dynojet kit? You only really need a new jet or two, which costs only a few quid. Is yours a rubber mount? If so you may not even need to change a jet (don't know about the older bikes). The main jet is rich in stock tune and should be fine as it is; unless you're taking off cat mufflers, in which case you may want the jet fitted to non cat bikes. The slow jet is lean, but you may only need the idle mixture turned out a bit. These days the needle is fine; it may (or not) benefit from shimming. Every bike is different.

I know some folks like to just fit the Dynojet kit, but some people don't think it's a good idea to drill the slide (over responds and rises too quickly), And I think most feel the Dynojet spring isn't good (too weak).

You may be interested in this and this.
Old 16-10-2006, 08:13 AM
S.T.Chapman

the dynojet kit is'nt just a jet.
a selection of jets, and emulsion tube, lighter spring, adjustable needle, shims and drill bit of the correct size.
with a full set of instructions.
I've fitted one in the distant past to correct a very sever problem created by the fitting of some other kit which ostensibiley looked the same as, but it wasnt.
the result was very satisfactory
Old 16-10-2006, 09:58 AM
Folkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.T.Chapman View Post
the dynojet kit is'nt just a jet
Yep, I know that. I mentioned the needle, the spring, and drilling the slide. My point is that some people think that all you really need is just one jet, maybe not even that. If one jet is all you actually need, it's a lot cheaper than a Dynojet kit. A 45 slow jet (27170-89) is 4.18 from Guernsey, 4.91 from the dealer (or 2.65 (inc VAT) from Zanotti if you're ordering other stuff at the same time!).

If you're taking off catalyst mufflers you may need to change the stock 165 main jet for the 175 (27090-89) fitted to the same bike in the states without cats? This is on an 883, not sure about 1200s offhand as I haven't got the parts manual with me here. That'd be 1.18 - 6.98 depending where you get it.

The needle may benefit from being shimmed. The H-D shim washer (6048W) is about 50p (19p from Zanotti!) but you can use any M4 washer.
Old 17-10-2006, 09:23 AM
Club Member

I fitted the thunderslide kit to mine. The instructions are easy to follow and the lighter slide with the thunderslide makes a better throttle response. well pleased with it.
Alan B