The Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

+++ HARLEY-DAVIDSON RIDERS CLUB GREAT BRITAIN - ESTABLISHED 1949 +++

Go Back   The Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain > Technical > Evo Sportsters
©2000-2012 Harley-Davidson Riders Club

Evo Sportsters
For Ironhead please post in
Vintage & Classic Section

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2006, 05:06 PM
ian

wont start

my mate has a 1999 1200 problem is that it will start and he can ride it down the road and it will be fine.Turn it off then try to restart it,it will not go,just turns over or back fires.I have had a look at it to day and some times it will start first press of the button then next time nothing.When it wont start there is no spark or very weak spark.When there is no spark the ignition pick up is flashing red so i know it is working but still very weak spark or no spark.leave it 30 seconds press the button and it fires up straight away.If you turn it off some times it will fire up straight away or not,check spark very weak or no spark.Also when there is no spark there is still feed to coil.
Iam not sure where it is coil or I think there is a tilt switch behind battery box if that is the problem.Has any body had similar problem.
Old 11-12-2006, 12:26 AM
Non Member

Cool Re: wont start

I should check all of the earths. Clean 'em all up an check the actual wiring to them!
If not, do you know anybody that could lend you a coil so that you could rule that out of the equasion?

TD
Old 11-12-2006, 04:55 AM
Club Member

Re: wont start

These things have an ignition pick up in the cam cover. They are quite prone to breaking down when hot, & restarting when cooled down again.
Have the owner take off the cover & heat the pick up with a heat gun or hair dryer while it is running. My bet is that it will start to falter & die.
Replace the pick up. The Screaming eagle is cheaper than the stock.
32978-98A for the SE ignition. $119.95 here.
Old 11-12-2006, 08:09 AM
Club Member

My 1999 883 had a problem where it would fine for a bit then die for no apparrent reason. leave it switched off for 5 mins and it would start again. Finally tracked it down to the tilt switch behind the battery carrier. The MoCo had trapped two wires behind the carrier and they had finally worn through. The other place to look is the positive lead from the battery to the starter prone to corrosion on the sporties giving intermittent problems.
Alan B
Old 11-12-2006, 06:54 PM
Club Member

Has your friend also had trouble with his indicators, ie staying on and not flashing? If so this would point to a bad earth. If it is the igniton module you'll find that the bike will just stop, as if you had hit the kill switch. If it is the coil it's more likely to pop and bang. Also check the HT leads as these could be 'worn out'. You can check for resistance on the leads by using a volt meter.