The Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

+++ HARLEY-DAVIDSON RIDERS CLUB GREAT BRITAIN - ESTABLISHED 1949 +++

Go Back   The Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain > Technical > Evo Sportsters
©2000-2012 Harley-Davidson Riders Club

Evo Sportsters
For Ironhead please post in
Vintage & Classic Section

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2007, 07:40 AM
Non Member

Misfire grrrrr

Dragged my bike out to go to work on a bright sunny morning, off we went no problems. Got to the top of the road and it felt 'funny', opened it up a little and there was a pop and a bang. Got to the main road and accelerated away and the misfire was real bad, like a shot gun going off.

It seem to coincide with me putting the lights on. I turned around and went in the car, I was not happy i can tell you, a wasted of a sunny morning.

Anyway that night checked the voltage, battery was 12.8v, started bike all lights indicators going and got 13.6v, cant see a problem there. Tested it no misfire .

next morning set off again done about three miles the misfire is back. Turned around and rode back slowly only to fine no misfire, opened her up still no misfire. Took the car just in case, did not want the baby to break down lol.

That night changed the plugs but still not right.

I am sure it is electrical due to the loud and sudden misfire, a fuel problem would not be that instant plus it only affects one cylinder though both are warm the rear being slightly cooler.

Tonight will be checking the HT leads are not shorting, loose connections, rubbed through wire along the frame.

I am looking for some other things to look at so any suggestion greatly accepted.

I will also be checking the coil and HT lead resistance though this is doubtful i think.

I want to ride it this weekend !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-04-2007, 07:07 PM
Non Member

Re: Misfire grrrrr

Just to make sure had the float bowl off tonight, clean as a whistle. Fill with fresh petrol still the same. Cut all the cable ties holding the HT leads and wires in place, can not see any extra sparks when running. Will look later when it is dark i think.

Looking more like the ignition, a bit hastie in my previous statement
Old 04-04-2007, 08:59 PM
Club Member

Evo XL`s are very prone to their ignition unit in the cam cover going out. The very same symptoms that you have posted.
Take the cover off, heat the unit up with a hairdryer or heat gun while it is idling, see if it starts cutting out.
Old 06-04-2007, 09:15 PM
Non Member

I just bit the bullet and fitted a Daytona Twin Tech unit i had bought a short time ago. Installation was easy, hard bit was doing the timing with the strobe.
Got drenched in oil mist lol.

Bike runs a sweet as a nut now, no misfire and pulls like a train
Old 15-04-2007, 04:30 PM
Non Member

Thought i would keep you up to date with my problem.

I tried another ignition system (with the kind help of Three Counties Customs) sorry for the plag but Phillipe really did help me out.

Installed and and hit the starter tit...................nothing. Just the same as before !!!!.

Checked the wireinf diagram and traced the white wire from the bars into the headlight. Gave everything a tweak and it all sprung back to life.

Seems i had a bad joint in there. Something so damm major was caused buy something so small.

All now working ok..................big smile on my face a i rode around in the sun.
Old 15-04-2007, 09:42 PM
sportyc

Could you put the details of you Daytona Twin Tech Unit on here please?
or could you p.m. them to me.
Interested in one but dont know what to get?
Thought i'd weigh up the options.
Going to U.S. in three weeks (with work), could be a bit of shopping for accessories in the offing, if i get chance.

Cheers
Old 16-04-2007, 08:51 PM
sportyc

Thanks for the p.m. Hawkeye.
Much Appreciated.
Cheers