The Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

+++ HARLEY-DAVIDSON RIDERS CLUB GREAT BRITAIN - ESTABLISHED 1949 +++

Go Back   The Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain > Technical > Evo Sportsters
©2000-2012 Harley-Davidson Riders Club

Evo Sportsters
For Ironhead please post in
Vintage & Classic Section

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2008, 08:08 PM
Rodders

SE Ignition Module Fitted

Thanks to Hobbit I have now fitted a SE ignition module to my sporty. I take it it only adjusts the rev limit but it feel much more fun.

Tried the limiter in First

55mph at 7K
80mph in second
100mph in third

Much more fun. Hope I don't blow it up. Need to learn a whole new set of gear change limits.

It was a strange sequence learning the new codes but went well in the end.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:31 PM
Hobbit

Re: SE Ignition Module Fitted

glad its all worked out and yes it only alters the limit and slight alteration to the curve at high rpm
Old 11-03-2008, 10:51 PM
Sportsterboy1974

Remind me not to buy your bike off you if you come to sell it!

I run a Crane Hi4 with high intensity coil that will allow the engine to rev to 9000rpm but i have it set at 7000rpm and rarely go above 5500rpm. 883 valves are said to stop producing much power above 5500rpm with peak horsepower at about 5100rpm. Running it at 7000rpm won't be doing the engine much good. But it's fun now and again hey
Old 12-03-2008, 07:09 AM
Non Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsterboy1974 View Post
Remind me not to buy your bike off you if you come to sell it!

I run a Crane Hi4 with high intensity coil that will allow the engine to rev to 9000rpm

I had something like that, it was called a box of bits
Old 12-03-2008, 07:23 AM
Rodders

I am assuming as its a genuine HD product 7K is ok to rev the sporty up to during a moment of madness. In bike terms 7K is still low.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:18 PM

7k still low for a Harley?

So why do the MoCo fit a rev limiter? To spoil our fun?

JohnT
Old 12-03-2008, 10:22 PM
Rodders

Don't get you John. Its a MOCO street SE limiter.

Why do the fit standard pipes and air filters and sprockets. To spoil our fun.

It a genuine HD 883 sportster SE module. I have a free air filter and exhaust so why not open up the limit.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:27 PM
Hobbit

the 883 and the 1200 will rev to 7K without detrement it just wont make much more power and torque than it already does at the old limit, the real kick is for those that go further than stage 1 and start fitting Cams,roller rockers and porting and polishing the heads.
With stock components - cams,lifters,rockers,valves,springs the max limit of the motor is 7K.
once you fit cams and the likes you then start to have to improve the top end to stop the valves binding like new valve springs and new rods and roller rockers but your limit will still be 7K as the crank just wont rev that fast as its to heavy, a Buell motor which is more or less identical revs harder and has the 7K limit or more as stock so the motors are good for it the difference is the heads/pistons/crank (the biggy) and cams, the crank is balanced and lighter than the HD part
Old 12-03-2008, 10:31 PM
Hobbit

when i finally tear in to the motor of my 1200 it will get high comp pistons, se heads, valves, springs, roller rockers, bigger injectors if they make them and a set of monster cams with all the ancillaries i will also be looking for an adjustable ECM that does not do just fuelling but will cover timing as well and a 2-1 pipe to get the best from the motor and i would hope to see the motor run past 7K and be almost 90hp
Old 12-03-2008, 10:33 PM
Rodders

Thanks for that mate. I feel like I had much more fun with the new limiter and the sound is awesome. I will have my Z1000 tomorrow for serious speed. (125 bhp and 75 FT/LB)

Just don't want to blow the hog up with my comma oil and 7K workout. Still if I do I can put a buell head on it.