The Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

+++ HARLEY-DAVIDSON RIDERS CLUB GREAT BRITAIN - ESTABLISHED 1949 +++

Go Back   The Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain > Technical > Evo Sportsters
©2000-2012 Harley-Davidson Riders Club

Evo Sportsters
For Ironhead please post in
Vintage & Classic Section

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13-01-2009, 12:16 PM
Club Member

883-1200 Ignition Timing

On the American XL-Forum; there's a Dutch chap, who has been stripping his top-end down to find out what was causing a severe noise. It turns out to be the pistons (Wiseco) were damaged and parts breaking off. It was an 883 that at sometime had been opened out to 1200. He hadn't done this work before and photographed all steps and asked for advice (XL-Forum. Totalled my engine). Its very good and the advice he's been getting from all over the place has been very informative. One of the points raised, was that the ignition timing is different between the 883 and 1200 stock being 35 and 28 degrees for the 883, as well as air leaks etc. Before I rush off and purchase a Crane ignition module which seems to be the ignition of choice, I want to find out more about it, has anyone in the HDRC done the same? Opened up to 1200, did you change the ignition, left as before and has there been any problems? Would appreciate some info. Dave

Old 13-01-2009, 02:00 PM
Non Member

Re: 883-1200 Ignition Timing

ive trawled throu the clymer for the 2004/06 (ive got an 883 converted to a 1200) and it says "ignition timing - non-adjustable" in the reference data section.

hope this helps
Old 13-01-2009, 06:53 PM
Club Member

I did my 1200 conversion on my 1999 sporty in January 2001. I haven't changed the ignition settings although I have fitted a sqawkin chicken ignition module at the same settings as a 883 and I haven't had a problem yet ( approx 20,000 miles). Without looking in the manual as I'm working away at the moment. I seem to think the settings are the same. Although the bore has changed, the stroke and cams haven't and that is more likely to require timing changes than bores. I did find the gearing too low after the bore out so that is extra cost for new sprocket and gizmo to set the speedo back up. The 1200 conversion is worth it in my book.
Alan B
Old 13-01-2009, 07:32 PM
Club Member

Hi Dave, just had a look at a 2002 manual, it says 20 degrees BTDC for all models except 1200S which is 15 Degrees BTDC.
Old 14-01-2009, 10:47 AM
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiemac View Post
Hi Dave, just had a look at a 2002 manual, it says 20 degrees BTDC for all models except 1200S which is 15 Degrees BTDC.
Cheers Robbie, I checked my own manual (2003) and it confirmed what you had written. I think it's because the Dutch bloke's m/c is a 92 model and obviously there's been changes since then. I should'ave checked myself before writing on the forum! Doh!