The Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

+++ HARLEY-DAVIDSON RIDERS CLUB GREAT BRITAIN - ESTABLISHED 1949 +++

Go Back   The Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain > Technical > Evo Sportsters
©2000-2012 Harley-Davidson Riders Club

Evo Sportsters
For Ironhead please post in
Vintage & Classic Section

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2009, 04:19 PM
tatmac

urgent. idle mixture screw

help. took out idle mixture screw as there was no tension when turned, and i now have the screw, the spring and the washer.
what order do they assemble in prior to insertion? (no rude comments please)
just want to make sure i put the washer the right side of the spring.
as always many thanks, steve.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:11 PM

Re: urgent. idle mixture screw

I've had a look at the HD parts manual and it's not shown, because it's set at the factory and you shouldn't touch it, haha. I seem to think you should have a spring, washer and an "O" ring on the screw. It should not be tight as it needs to be adjustable. somewhere probably between 1 and 2.5 turns out from fully screwed in. The spring providing enough tension to stop it vibrating loose. If you've only got the spring and washer, hopefully the "O" ring is still in place, put the spring on the screw, then the washer and screw it back in. set it say 1.5 turns out and take it from there. hopefully it won't leak cause your "O" ring is still in place. Look on here or google to find out how to adjust it.
good luck.
Old 13-03-2009, 05:37 PM
DickDastardly

Have you considered one of these, I believe there may be a couple on the market, he also does ‘repair kits'.

Keihin CV and butterfly carburetor EZ-Just idle needles

Makes the job of adjustment a little more controllable and if you do turn it too far out you are actually holding the ‘screw’ and are less likely to drop it and loose parts.

Just a thought!
Old 13-03-2009, 11:59 PM
Club Member

A very handy bit of kit that DD, does anyone know if this or something similar is available from a UK source? I find adjusting mine a right royal pain in the arse.

Tatmac, as already mentioned by Bonio be very careful when screwing the adjuster in; you only need it to gently seat when fully inserted- over tightening can cause damage to carb and needle.
Old 14-03-2009, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steppenwulf View Post
A very handy bit of kit that DD, does anyone know if this or something similar is available from a UK source? I find adjusting mine a right royal pain in the arse.

Tatmac, as already mentioned by Bonio be very careful when screwing the adjuster in; you only need it to gently seat when fully inserted- over tightening can cause damage to carb and needle.
These don't list them but may be worth a phone call.

http://www.allensperformance.co.uk/index.html
Old 14-03-2009, 12:34 AM
Club Member

Cheers Dave
Old 26-03-2009, 10:50 AM
Club Member

I use a small screwdriver with a rotating end to adjust the idle mixture. Hold it with one finger and turn with two fingers of the other hand. It's also been marked with coloured lines so I know how much it's been turned and where I started from.

Old 26-03-2009, 06:44 PM
Non Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatmac View Post
help. took out idle mixture screw as there was no tension when turned, and i now have the screw, the spring and the washer.
what order do they assemble in prior to insertion? (no rude comments please)
just want to make sure i put the washer the right side of the spring.
as always many thanks, steve.
I have a spare carb (don't ask why) and have taken it apart to see how it all hangs together. This one had a problem with the idle screw and upon close inspection I found that the rubber 'O' ring was stuck in at an angle stopping the screw seating properly. The 'O' ring is tiny and I have not seen another this size.

You are correct in the order but there is also the rubber 'O' ring so from the top (screw head) it's Screw, Spring, Washer and 'O' ring. You'll probably need to remove the carb to get the 'O' out to re-seat straight on the washer. I did this on my spare carb and the screw then seated correctly although I have never used this carb so not sure if it still seals OK. All these 4 parts are not listed as parts by HD.

I'm not sure whether the 'O' ring is there to stop gas coming out or extra air going in as the engine is sucking gas in from that point and the 'O' ring looks like it's above the float level.

I hope this helps a bit..........

Last edited by OrangeR; 26-03-2009 at 09:10 PM.
Old 27-03-2009, 10:28 PM
Folkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickDastardly View Post
Have you considered one of these, I believe there may be a couple on the market, he also does ‘repair kits'.

Keihin CV and butterfly carburetor EZ-Just idle needles

Makes the job of adjustment a little more controllable and if you do turn it too far out you are actually holding the ‘screw’ and are less likely to drop it and loose parts.

Just a thought!
I've got one of those. Got mine from J&P Cycles.

It makes it so much easier to adjust the idle mixture! I made a little modification to mine. I added a spigot to the face of the knob, to make it easier to turn. Well, to count the turns really. I screwed the needle in all the way (gently seating it), and marked the side nearest the air cleaner (right of bike). I then took the needle out again and drilled and tapped (10 BA) for the spigot I'd made:

Old 28-03-2009, 06:41 AM
kriss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folkie View Post
I've got one of those. Got mine from J&P Cycles.

It makes it so much easier to adjust the idle mixture! I made a little modification to mine. I added a spigot to the face of the knob, to make it easier to turn. Well, to count the turns really. I screwed the needle in all the way (gently seating it), and marked the side nearest the air cleaner (right of bike). I then took the needle out again and drilled and tapped (10 BA) for the spigot I'd made:

hi folkie, fancy meeting you on here, got my rear end sorted now (at last) off to buy wheel/ytre today

« New Engine | Coil »