The Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

+++ HARLEY-DAVIDSON RIDERS CLUB GREAT BRITAIN - ESTABLISHED 1949 +++

Go Back   The Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain > Technical > Evo Sportsters
©2000-2012 Harley-Davidson Riders Club

Evo Sportsters
For Ironhead please post in
Vintage & Classic Section

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2010, 06:44 PM

Running too lean?

Hi

I have a 2006 XL883C, with stage 1, K&N air filter and V&H slip-ons. The bike ran sweet all last summer and fine after overwintering for the first few weeks this year. Over the last couple of weeks the bike has developed a small problem, could anyone help? Here's what's going on; the bike starts fine, idles fine with the choke out, and runs sweet with no choke for around the first 30 to 40 minutes of riding until the bike is fully warmed up. After that the bike runs fine with the revs on, under normal riding conditions but when I stop at the lights or junction etc, the bike tries to die and stall and sometimes does stall. The only way to stop it from stalling is to give it a fist full of revs, the bike will splutter until moving then pull away and ride as normal. This only happens when the bike is warm after say 30 minutes of normal riding. I first thought there might be some crap in the main jet but that does not really add up with what's going on. Could the bike now be running a bit lean?

Thanks for any advice you could give..
Hills
Old 05-04-2010, 07:10 PM
Club Member

Re: Running too lean?

If it starts and runs OK for the first 20 mins or so sounds to me something is breaking down under heat. Coil or even the infamous CPS (Crank Position Sensor) spring to mind.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:51 PM
Club Member

+1 on the CPS - classic symptoms.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:31 AM
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hills View Post
Hi
After that the bike runs fine with the revs on,
Hills
that would rule out the coil.

Have you tried something as simple as adjusting the IDLE SPEED setting on the carb? Perhaps you or someone who has serviced the bike previously tweaked it when cold...and carb settings should always be adjusted only when motor is hot.

is there a VOES hose between carb and VOES switch? Check it has not come adrift or is holed. That makes for poor or no idle.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:01 AM
Non Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidave View Post
is there a VOES hose between carb and VOES switch? Check it has not come adrift or is holed. That makes for poor or no idle.
I don't think our '06 bikes have VOES. (Of course I maybe wrong here )

I'm with the others (Urrell & Foxy) and I would try the CPS first, although you'll need to buy another unit to check this out unless you can borrow one. You could check the diagnostics first just to see if you have any error codes.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:55 AM
Club Member

You may be right. I am stuck with the dinosaurs
Old 06-04-2010, 03:41 PM

Thanks all, is the CPS an expensive job? If it is the CPS, can the job be done at home or is it best to let the stealer do the job? I'll check the diagnostics when I have time too. The idle speed has definitely not been touched Dave, there's only me been near the bike for the routine oil and filter change a month ago.

Thanks again
Hills
Old 06-04-2010, 04:00 PM
Club Member

You are probably aware. The CPS is just below the oil filter, held in by one nut.
Old 06-04-2010, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urrell View Post
You are probably aware. The CPS is just below the oil filter, held in by one nut.
Aaah, embarrassingly, no I wasn't aware but I am now. It should be an easy job to change then, thanks Urrell.

hills
Old 06-04-2010, 04:29 PM

I've just done lots of reading up on the CPS and it seems you may be bang on Urrell (I know he thinks ) the problems people have when the CPS is buggered/melted are the exact same as I'm experiencing. I'll swap it out as soon as I can and let you know the outcome.

Cheers
Hills