Go Back   The Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain > Technical > General
©2000-2012 Harley-Davidson Riders Club

General Non-model specific technical queries

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13-12-2008, 06:03 PM
Sammy

repositioning the number plate

hi guys,

im planning to do this to a rocker 08 and put the plate on the left side. Anyone done this before?

Im guessing one of you has already done this.

Sammy
Old 20-01-2009, 09:20 AM
Non Member

Side mount plates

Hi there,
New here so i assume this has been asked before !
I am fitting Heartland kit to my fxstc.
This means i need a sidemount plate.
Whats the chances off avoiding being constantly pulled over by bored coppers as we all know they have nothing else to do around here as no real crime...
Old 20-01-2009, 09:55 AM
Club Member

Re: Side mount plates

I moved your thread/question into this General section here.

Our search engine is a good place to start but I have just had a look and there is plenty of talk on side mounted plates but not anything covering legality.

I reckon if you fit one you take a chance because the wording say's fitted to the rear. Not the side.

But like a lots of our H-D accessories and helmets we are not all legal anyway. It's a £30 fine for a black and white plate so I expect it's the same for that.

Thanks to Foxster.
Quote:

The law says that a plate has to be visible from both sides at an angle of 45° from the centre of the plate. Like this...

So if your plate is so far forward that you can't see the centre of it from a 45° angle on the other side its illegal. The plate doesn't have to be very far forward for this, just a couple of inches, near the axle being too far usually.

Basically they want the plate somewhere near to being in-line with the rear-most point of the bike. So an offset isn't a problem, its sticking it too far forward that will get you pinched.
Untitled.jpg

Last edited by BaZa®; 01-12-2010 at 07:35 PM.
Old 20-01-2009, 10:14 AM
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaZa ® View Post
It's a £30 fine for a black and white plate so I expect it's the same for that.

DVLA pdf here:
http://www.dvla.gov.uk/media/pdf/leaflets/v796.pdf

Baza I notice on the DVLA pdf you link to that yes you are liable to a fixed penalty notice from the police of £30 as you say. But you are also liable for prosecution, in which case the MAXIMUM penalty is £1,000. I would imagine this is for repeat offenders or someone who really annoys a copper and refuses to accept the £30 spot fine.
Old 20-01-2009, 10:23 AM
Club Member

Yes Jon you're correct I got a £30 ticket for a B&W plate.

There is another thing you can ask the copper for is that you take your vehicle to a MOT centre with the fault corrected and then you do not have to pay the fine you get a cert for the police to cancel the ticket. (something like that)

BUT I wonder how much you have to pay the MOT station.

Hopefully someone can come in and explain this one?

Old 20-01-2009, 11:14 AM
Club Member

I'm not sure you're right BaZa.
The regulations apply to a rear-facing number plate, and the point is made that you don't need a front one any more. I have seen no regulation that says it has to be placed centrally on the vehicle. A side mounted plate of the correct size, layout and colour and mounted substantially at the rear of the vehicle should not be cause for an infringement. For example, tractors have a centrally placed plate, which is mounted forward of the rear of the rear wheels, so not the furthest back point of the vehicle, and many trucks, Land Rovers, etc. don't have the number plate in the centre. I think that the main problem is that side mounted plates do not usually comply with the colour and especially character size and placement, as people tend to go for a tall narrow one. The other key issue is with lighting. One of the local guys took his chop along for an SVA, and they made him fit his number plate centrally, not because he wasn't allowed the plate offset, but because he wasn't allowed the light offset (for obvious reasons).
From what I understand, it would have been OK with a side mounted plate, as long as there was:
a. A centrally placed rear light and brake light that complied with regulations, or
b. A pair of lights, equally spaced about the vehicle centre line, so if you had an offest plate, with the rear light affixed, you would need another rear light, equally spaced to the other side.

Having studied various regulations, I am constantly surprised by just how vague they are. You expect regulations to be precise, specific, and not open to ambiguity or interpretation, but many are as woolly as an Australian sheep farmer's grilfriend...

However, this ambiguity works two ways: it can protect you, if what you are doing is not specifically described as illegal. On the other hand, eager police, bored and unsure of their facts, can pull you, on the assumption that you must be doing something wrong, even if they are not actually familiar with the law concerned.

I remember getting pulled by a complete barsteward of a special constable long, long time ago. I had an old Hillman Imp, headlamps disconnected, and two Cibies for main beam, another pair for dip. All four were at a legal height and spacing, and there is no law that says your main beam and dip must come from the same lamp. But that didn't stop him from stopping us, on a freezing winter night, whilst his long-suffering (full time) colleague squirmed in embarrassment as the twat got out his tape measure, and spent forever measuring the light positions.
Once he's finished, I ask, "Well, does it comply?", and he goes, "I don't know, but you'll be getting a ticket once I've been back to the Station."
So he doesn't even know what the regulations are, but he pulls us, just in case.
Of course, the ticket never arrives, but I was forever getting stopped in that car, just because it looked like the kind of car that must have something illegal about it.

It's a sad fact that no Policeman can be expected to know every detail of motoring regulations, and that a small proportion of them will stop you, and cause hassle and inconvenience, even if you have broken no law at all.

This is a long way of saying it would be worth checking the detail of the law, although you can be certain that you would need to fit a full size yellow plate, with correct font numbers and letters placed in 2 rows, as specified, otherwise it's a non-compliance.
Old 20-01-2009, 11:53 AM
Website Administrator

Had a heartland kit on my Softail and a side mount plate, was on there for a couple of years and never had an issue, also have had side mounts on almost all of my harleys and again have never had an issue with any of them. As always with these things it depends on the person you get pulled by or the MOT tester etc.
Old 20-01-2009, 12:01 PM
Club Member

Good point Jake but it does not give any regs as to what side you can fit it either.

So for instance if you fitted the plate on the right hand side, the chances are it would be obscured from a gatso. (GREAT)

The Sportster 1200N Nightster from H-D has the side mounted plate in the USA but not for the UK specification.

That must say something as to how plod/courts read the legislation?

XL1200USA.jpg
UK spec.jpg

Old 20-01-2009, 12:55 PM
Non Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
Had a heartland kit on my Softail and a side mount plate, was on there for a couple of years and never had an issue, also have had side mounts on almost all of my harleys and again have never had an issue with any of them. As always with these things it depends on the person you get pulled by or the MOT tester etc.
i am putting heartlands sidemount plate with rear light/brake light..its LED and super bright..my concern is its gotta go on lhs off bike as exhaust on rhs just conerned that spent small fortune on Heartland ez200 kit plus new paint job, just to have probs with bloody plate...
Old 20-01-2009, 12:58 PM
Website Administrator

Yep mine was the heartland one as well and on the left, it was fine.