+++ HARLEY-DAVIDSON RIDERS CLUB GREAT BRITAIN - ESTABLISHED 1949 +++

Go Back   The Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain > Technical > General
©2000-2012 Harley-Davidson Riders Club

General Non-model specific technical queries

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30-08-2009, 08:23 AM
Club Member

Softail Side stand - warning

This could be a one off situation but.....

On a ride out yesterday some bikers at the roadside were pointing furiously at my bike as I rode past.

The side stand was in the down position and I was doing about 30mph!!!

The heavy duty spring had detached itself from the jiffy Stand, thankfully the spring was still attached to the frame.

It took 2 of us to stretch the spring enough to tease the end of it back into the drilled hole in the stand, (used cable ties, a must in anyones emergency kit).

The open end of the spiring is too big in my opinion, Ill be squeezing it with a G clamp just enough to stop it happening again.

But more worryingly is that the sensor didn't detect the stand was down when the spring is not attached!!!

Checked it all functions correctly now, and yes the engine cuts out with the stand down.

Just thought it would be irresponsible not to pass this on.

Gary
Old 30-08-2009, 10:32 AM
Non Member

Re: Softail Side stand - warning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary B View Post
This could be a one off situation but.....

On a ride out yesterday some bikers at the roadside were pointing furiously at my bike as I rode past.

But more worryingly is that the sensor didn't detect the stand was down when the spring is not attached!!!

Checked it all functions correctly now, and yes the engine cuts out with the stand down.

Gary
thanks for warning but what sensor???? whar engine cut out ???? mines an 07 is this a new option ??
Old 30-08-2009, 11:49 AM
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogdiver View Post
thanks for warning but what sensor???? whar engine cut out ???? mines an 07 is this a new option ??
Mines an 09, not sure when they introduced this function.

Basically it prevents you from starting the engine if it's in gear by mistake with the side stand down, the display on the tank shows a message - sidetand - as a reminder.

As a test, if its ticking over, in gear with the clutch in and you put the stand down the engine cuts out.
Old 30-08-2009, 01:44 PM

Geez that was close, thanks for the info glad you're OK.
Old 30-08-2009, 02:19 PM
Club Member

Quote:
Gary
It's probably not the angle the stand is at but when it tips into the locked position when weight is placed on it that activates the sensor.

Quote:
The open end of the spiring is too big in my opinion, Ill be squeezing it with a G clamp just enough to stop it happening again.
Gary
Don't bend a spring. Not only will it weaken it but it may break and fly into your eye causing a lot of grief. If it came off something is damaged. Check the jiffystand for damage and fit a new spring if the stand is not damaged. Its only about Ł3:50

Last edited by Urrell; 31-08-2009 at 03:55 PM.
Old 30-08-2009, 09:14 PM
Club Member

Checked the jiffy stand, nothing broken or bent.
Checked the spring, thats ok to. Both of the open ends are exactly the same shape and size.

Cant work out what caused the spring to unhook from the stand, other than the opening is a tad too large and maybe robustly kicking the stand up as I rode off caused it to unhook?

The proximity sensor is located in the bracket to which the jiffy stand pivots. If the sensor cant see the jiffy stand because its "down" the interlock system wont alow the engine to be started if it's in gear.
It has to be in neutral or the stand must be up.

The owners manual cleared up my question as to why the engine didn't cut out when all this happened.
It explains that at 10mph or over it will not cut out but will give a scrolling message in the odometer display.
Old 31-08-2009, 03:50 PM
Club Member

spring jiffy.jpg

Last edited by BaZaź; 16-12-2013 at 10:44 PM.
Old 31-08-2009, 05:44 PM
Club Member

Thanks Baza,
Mines not the same type of assembly.
Just a pin with a shoulder at the bottom end and a spring clip to stop it falling through.
There's a small bronze top hat style bush top and bottom that locate in the bracket.

Today I tried the tip posted earlier which suggested fitting the spring first then the pin, but those bleeding littlle bushes wouldn't play ball and line up.

So reverted to the method used at the roadside yesterday, gave the spring a good tug with the cable tie and it went in easy enough.

Thanks for the suggestions chaps.

Gary