Go Back   The Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain > Technical > General
©2000-2012 Harley-Davidson Riders Club

General Non-model specific technical queries

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2011, 12:33 PM
nbaker

Layback plate, what size?

Hi,

Just ordered a layback license plate bracket for my 08 Sporty but would like to know what size number plate to order?

Want to go a bit smaller than legal but not that small that I draw too much attention from the plod, my V&H Straightshots will probally do that though

So what size plate do you have?

Cheers

Nige.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:39 PM
Club Member

Re: Layback plate, what size?

This is one of those "How long is a piece of string?" questions. First things first - have you got a luggage rack fitted to a sissy bar? If so, what's your clearance? In any event, you'll be best advised to wait until you receive and fit the layback mount - what's the hurry?
Old 05-03-2011, 12:43 PM
nbaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ming the Merciless View Post
This is one of those "How long is a piece of string?" questions. First things first - have you got a luggage rack fitted to a sissy bar? If so, what's your clearance? In any event, you'll be best advised to wait until you receive and fit the layback mount - what's the hurry?
No rack or sissy bar fitted.

Just keen to get rid of the bar door that on atm.

Old 05-03-2011, 01:24 PM

Mine is 7x5 and looks about right with my chrome layback bracket. I have never been stopped yet but there's always a first time. Looking at your bike I would say 7x5 would be perfect.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:06 PM
Non Member

Mine is 1" shorter than legal in both directions......... Looks about right on the layback plate. I think my numbers/letters are legal size, but it's still not 100% legit.........
Old 05-03-2011, 02:19 PM
Club Member

Just don't burn your bridges with the old, legal plate. You will need to refit it to pass the MOT.

My local tester is a nice bloke and fairly flexible but non-legal plate/letter size is a real no-no because he would lose his license to do MOTs if he passes dodgy plates.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:49 PM
Club Member

+ 1 on keeping the old plate.

Use velcro to hold them on, not only looks better with no screw heads visible but can then swap to the MOT plate in seconds

Anything looks better than the "air brake" they are fitted with as standard.

Old 05-03-2011, 04:18 PM
Big-Ed

Ive got the original older layback mount (has a reflector that says harley davidson in it) & my plate fits inside the edges pretty well, but its way to small tbh.. Ive not seen the new layback license plate bracket, do they still have the edges the plate has to fit in?

Ive got a small plate & a moddified original size plate that I stick on top of the small plate for mots.. If your plates letters look the correct size(ish) & look the correct shape & dont have any stupid stuff on the plate (the hologram branding behind the letters, side flags, brands, logos etc.) You normally wont be stopped.. Just depends on the cops...

One thing is, you will need to refit a reflector if you dont have one fitted when you fit the layback plate mount!.. That can get you stopped more than a number plate sometimes!!..
Old 05-03-2011, 04:47 PM
nbaker

Thanks for the info so far guys

I think I will use the velcro idea to mount the plate, thanks Urrell.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:42 PM
Non Member

Just fitted one myself and went for 1" under length x breadth but standard size lettering and it looks just right to me.