The Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

+++ HARLEY-DAVIDSON RIDERS CLUB GREAT BRITAIN - ESTABLISHED 1949 +++

Go Back   The Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain > Technical > General
©2000-2012 Harley-Davidson Riders Club

General Non-model specific technical queries

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14-11-2011, 09:20 AM
Club Member

Sealed wheel bearing ref number wanted...

Does anyone have a Timken or similar number for the late style sealed wheel bearing for 19in front wheels.......not the Harley part number but an actual bearing supply number.

This is for 19in cast wheels as fitted on any Sportster or Dyna Low Rider / Super Glide in the last ten years....

Even a reading of the number on the seal part would be useful.

Thanks!
Old 14-11-2011, 10:28 AM

Re: Sealed wheel bearing ref number wanted...

I suspect you will find these are Harley special parts, so not available from other sources. I haven't found an alternative source yet. The explanation for that is they use three bearings, all with the same OD, but 3/4", 1" and 25mm ID.

I have some 3/4" ID bearings with the following various numbers on them: INA 45 (the manufacturer), H-D 9267, which is self explanatory, F-390589, presumably the INA part number.
Old 14-11-2011, 08:42 PM
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidave View Post
Does anyone have a Timken or similar number for the late style sealed wheel bearing for 19in front wheels.......not the Harley part number but an actual bearing supply number.

This is for 19in cast wheels as fitted on any Sportster or Dyna Low Rider / Super Glide in the last ten years....

Even a reading of the number on the seal part would be useful.

Thanks!
Dave found this on another forum, could be what you're after.
Wheel Bearings Replacement, Cross-Reference, Timken, Wheel Wobble - Harley Davidson Forums
Old 14-11-2011, 09:28 PM

Exclamation Re: Sealed wheel bearing ref number wanted...

Something doesn't compute here! That link is for a bearing that has a 25mm ID, whereas the bearings I have numbered 9267 are definitely 3/4" ID. So take care to ensure you get the correct size.
Old 14-11-2011, 09:32 PM
Club Member

I found a couple of different bearings for H-Ds along the way, usually you can find something the same. However, they do change from year to year and model to model.

Might be best if you can measure the thickness, outside diameter and inside diameter (not confusing 1" with 25mm, H-D have used both and they aren't interchangeable). If you can get those measurements then I'll try to help you find some.
Old 14-11-2011, 11:05 PM
Club Member

Thanks.

I just need one......it's a late style wheel and one bearing has a stuffed outer seal.....and I know this wheel courtesy of Bad Name Mike came off an early 21st century Sportster, and they all use H-D 9267.

But you guys are correct, there are three different sealed bearing part numbers used on 2000-up 19in cast front wheels, various models at various times went from 3/4in to 1in and then 25mm. Sheesh, for decades there was just one bearing used on all wheels, front and rear!!!

Jersey H-D's excellent website gives you the choice, depending on model, of:

9276A ....... ''ball bearing 25mm deep groove''
9267 ......... "ball bearing deep groove sealed'' (yep, 3/4in)
9247 ......... "ball bearing 1inch deep groove''

To save time and avoid error, I will go to the dealership in this case and not the bearing shop.

I am fitting the late-style 19in cast front wheel on to the 1980 Wide Glide.

I hate 21in front wheels and while the whole valve train was being renewed recently, I finally decided to do something about it.

And I'm fitting original NOS FXWG fork sliders (left original 1980, right side 1984, as I am only running one disc and the Shovel Wide Glides had twin discs except for 1984) and a polished Tokico caliper off a rice rocket....it's been quite a job.... pix to follow...

UIPDATE: I got the 9267 3/4in bearing this afternoon from a dealership. Pleasant surprise, $37.75.....which is equal to around 24 quid. Jersey H-D wants quids 29.50....and that's with no VAT! That's about the first great deal I have seen here on an official factory part.

Last edited by kiwidave; 15-11-2011 at 05:18 AM.
Old 15-11-2011, 09:39 AM

The 3/4" and 1" bearings are specials,I don't think you'll find them at a bearing factors.The OD is 52mm,so they're very odd.
The late c2009 non ABS bearing is 25mm ID x 52mm OD,which should be 6205-2RS.
The bearing for the ABS side of the wheel is the same size,but diff number,as it has the reluctor built in to it.
Try fitting one of those without the tool.
Old 15-11-2011, 10:07 AM

Thumbs up Re: Sealed wheel bearing ref number wanted...

Thanks Daves, I reckon we've created the definitive wheel bearing thread here! I understand Harley started using these 52mm OD bearings on touring models around 2000 and adopted the various bastard sizes across the entire range, before settling on metric. It almost looks as if they planned to eventually go metric back in 2000!

I currently have a Deuce rear wheel with (and I have checked!) 9267 3/4" bearings, which I am planning to fit in my 2007 swingarm (on my 1990 bike), for which will clearly require 9247 bearings.

I love this stuff. The US Government signed off a law to go metric in 1975. They just forget to say when! Seems Harley may be setting an example to the rest of their industry?
Old 15-11-2011, 10:45 AM

Yes,2000 = 52mm x 3/4"
2002 on = 52mm x 1"

Up to 1999 the Timken bearing was 45,3 mm OD nom.
I'm guessing they used the 52mm bearing to corner the spares market,and made the big jump in OD,as they knew they were going to 1" spindles.
PM aftermarket wheels were using the 6205 from around 2000,but as a small producer,they bought off the shelf.

There is a standard Timken,but the makers spec is 0.002" under the nom OD I've seen quoted for the MoCo bearings.

1.7810" x 3/4" LM11949/LM11910. (They always quote two numbers for taper bearings,though they come as a set.)
Old 15-11-2011, 12:03 PM

Talking Re: Sealed wheel bearing ref number wanted...

I think those tapered roller bearings are Imperial old chap, not metric! They have a smaller OD simply because ball races are naturally larger for a similar load rating.

When I shopped around for replacement bearings on my 70s shovel I visited the local motor factor. He took one look and declared them to be for a Ford 100E outer front wheel!