+++ HARLEY-DAVIDSON RIDERS CLUB GREAT BRITAIN - ESTABLISHED 1949 +++

Go Back   The Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain > Technical > General
©2000-2012 Harley-Davidson Riders Club

General Non-model specific technical queries

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21-01-2009, 07:15 PM
eggar

harley leather fake or real

Hope i've got the right forum for this question which is, i've seen some harley davidson leather jackets for sale on ebay, how do you tell if ther'e real or fake. thanks
Old 21-01-2009, 07:25 PM
Club Member

Re: harley leather fake or real

Moved you to here as the section you were in is:
Quote:
Assistance Please
Occasional, non-registered posters asking non-technical questions. If your query is technical, please register and use the appropriate forum.

Personally I would ask the seller the question and if it turns out not to be H-D then the price should reflect that.

But it would be interesting to see the link to the ebay items.

If you don't know how to do that give us the item number.

Old 22-01-2009, 09:38 AM
OrlandoMad

Probably shouldn't be owning up to this , but I bought my Harley jacket from eBay last year . . couldn't afford the real thing, so the eBay item seemed like a good choice. I was expecting a fake as the price was VERY low indeed.

Anyway, it arrived from China, opened up the package, and you could have knocked me down with a feather . . the quality of the jacket was superb. All the detailing was there, and all the labels etc. Now, I know that fakes are supposed to have the details but crap materials - but this jacket is quality, and the leather is soft and supple. I was EXTREMELY pleased.

Since then, a mate of mine has the exact same jacket, only he bought his from a Harley dealer in Florida (for 5 times the price, and that was in dollars, so it would have been more over here) . . and comparing the two, there is NO difference at all.

So, I can only presume that this particular range of Harley jackets were actually produced in a factory in China (officially) and they either clear old stock or a few of the "workers" are light fingered

Now . . I don't know if all the jackets are the same quality, and whether they all come from the same factory . . perhaps I was just one of the lucky one's. By the way, my jacket cost £80 (new) including shipping
Old 22-01-2009, 09:04 PM
wizhard

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoMad View Post
Probably shouldn't be owning up to this , but I bought my Harley jacket from eBay last year . . couldn't afford the real thing, so the eBay item seemed like a good choice. I was expecting a fake as the price was VERY low indeed.

Anyway, it arrived from China, opened up the package, and you could have knocked me down with a feather . . the quality of the jacket was superb. All the detailing was there, and all the labels etc. Now, I know that fakes are supposed to have the details but crap materials - but this jacket is quality, and the leather is soft and supple. I was EXTREMELY pleased.

Since then, a mate of mine has the exact same jacket, only he bought his from a Harley dealer in Florida (for 5 times the price, and that was in dollars, so it would have been more over here) . . and comparing the two, there is NO difference at all.

So, I can only presume that this particular range of Harley jackets were actually produced in a factory in China (officially) and they either clear old stock or a few of the "workers" are light fingered

Now . . I don't know if all the jackets are the same quality, and whether they all come from the same factory . . perhaps I was just one of the lucky one's. By the way, my jacket cost £80 (new) including shipping
Hope it was'nt made from dog skin if its from china!
Old 22-01-2009, 09:16 PM
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizhard View Post
Hope it was'nt made from dog skin if its from china!
If it was I bet it was a bit wruff

Stealth Glide

www.morduebrewery.com
Area 51
Old 07-02-2009, 10:52 AM
eggar

I took the plunge and bought the one i saw on ebay from a uk sellar, it is in the brando style with an embossed live to ride ride to live eagle on the back enscribed with harley davidson( never seen this particular one on a jacket before ) harley label inside made in Indonesia, harley studs and even a spare packet of studs. it is unworn and cost £112 including postage, think i've been lucky, can't see a fake having spare studs. cheers
Old 08-06-2010, 12:10 PM
Cotswold Harley

I bought my Enthusiast 3 in1 from a uk website, not ebay; The Biker Shack - £150 cheaper than a dealer and it's perfect - took it into Cheltenham Harley and they have the very same jacket - same quality etc ... you need to be aware that Harley manufacture the vast majority of their jackets in China anyhow .... I am sure there is a fair proportion of over-run finding it's way to other outlets, be it ebay or private dealers ..... you buy the Harley brand you get quality but you also pay over the odds, their margins on clothing must be massive
Old 08-06-2010, 02:39 PM
Club Member

Question Re: harley leather fake or real

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoMad View Post

take a look at alibaba.com its all Chinese products, type Harley Jackets and they will bring up a multitude of leather and Cotton. They even quote HD part numbers so you can check them aganst the original (although these maybe original as all HD jackets are made in China)

Ive just ordered a cotton one...
Old 13-12-2011, 05:45 PM
jason32

Red face How to check if a leather jacket is fake or real?

Hi,

I ordered a leather jacket from HApparel.com, they claim that they only sell genuine products and work from USA. I just received my jacket after 14 days of ordering and I was shocked to see the jacket was shipped from CHINA, did not come in original harley packaging and labels look cheap.

I want to know if anyone has bought anything from them? and how to check if the jacket is genuine not fake?

I got this jacket **Classic Cruiser Harley-Davidson Mens Leather Jacket For Sale 98118-08VM - $309.95 : Harley Davidson Jackets, Vintage Mens Jacket, Vests, Leather Jackets, harley jacket, Chaps, motorcycle gear

Please help!!!
Old 13-12-2011, 06:28 PM
Club Member

Re: How to check if a leather jacket is fake or real?

Doubt it is genuine at that price. Look at Harley USA website at their clothing section or any dealer site.