The Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

+++ HARLEY-DAVIDSON RIDERS CLUB GREAT BRITAIN - ESTABLISHED 1949 +++

Go Back   The Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain > Technical > Revolution
©2000-2012 Harley-Davidson Riders Club

Revolution
V-Rods
VRSCA, VRSCB etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22-05-2008, 09:04 PM

High Mileage V-Rod

A mate of mine is thinking of getting a V-Rod. He asked me what are they like in terms of reliability?. Truth is I don't have a clue. I have ridden Rod Bods and the engine struck me as being German engineering at it's best. Effortless power. What are they like to live with?. Has anyone out there done 50,000 miles or more on one. Any information please?.
Old 23-05-2008, 10:43 AM
Non Member

Re: High Mileage V-Rod

Tony,

There are a few rods running around with that sort of mileage now and no real long term problems reported.

Loads of info on here 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum

Would check the obvious things like regular servicing etc and the valve lash has been checked / adjusted as per the maintenance schedule (manual says every 12,000 miles but I think this has been raised to 15,000 now ) and I think dealers quote 4 hours for this (but Phil might be able to clarify this )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Cross View Post
He asked me what are they like in terms of reliability?
Quite interesting reading taken from one of the early reviews American-V Roadtest

“To qualify the strength of the engine, the story was told to me that in a testing base in the US, H-D tests bikes to destruction on a special rig which allows them to be run at, or near to flat-out until they go bang. In this controlled and harsh environment a Road King made 200 hours before letting go, while an unnamed Softail managed 150 hours. With the V-Rod they switched the machine off at 500 hours because it was showing no signs of doing anything other than carry on. If 150 hours on a Softail doesn't sound much, bear in mind that is equates to more than six days, non-stop ... flat out! Even if that was cruising at 80mph, it would work out as 12,000 miles - and seriously outside its scheduled service intervals. If we can find the full story on that we'll bring it to you, if only because I want to know why the Road King had 50 hours over the Softail: could it have been the extra half-litre of oil it carries? If so, how did the Dynas fare with another half a litre less? “

Quote:
What are they like to live with?
Others prob better qualified to say long term as Ive only had mine a 07 aw couple of months now but best bike Ive ridden in 25 years bar none

For me ......... comfy and quick as f*ck but forget taking a pillion out with the stock seat

Only other things are Pre 07 bikes have a 14 litre tank (fuel range of about 100 miles) post 07 onwards 19 litre so approx 150 mile range. If needed you can get a larger aftermarket Ricks tank for the pre 07 bikes if it becomes a problem. .......... thats if it isnt an R which has 19 litre on all models.

Last edited by Mark-Bursledon; 23-05-2008 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Forgot R has a 19 litre tank as standard ........ doh
Old 23-05-2008, 09:49 PM

I've had my vrod since October 2002, I still love it, it's the best bike I've ever owned and I've had quite a few. I've just bought the third battery though, thats the only downer I can think of.
The small fuel tank is a nuisance on a long trip so I've just had a bigger one fitted. I'll be able to say more about that when I get back from my holiday.
Old 28-06-2008, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liz View Post
I've had my vrod since October 2002, I still love it, it's the best bike I've ever owned and I've had quite a few. I've just bought the third battery though, thats the only downer I can think of.
The small fuel tank is a nuisance on a long trip so I've just had a bigger one fitted. I'll be able to say more about that when I get back from my holiday.
I'm back.
The bigger fuel tank is brilliant. No more worrying if I'll make it to the next petrol station, I just fill up when everyone else does. Luxury!
Old 28-06-2008, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liz View Post
I'm back.
The bigger fuel tank is brilliant. No more worrying if I'll make it to the next petrol station, I just fill up when everyone else does. Luxury!
What is the difference in size Liz?.
For the same reason I am hoping to put a custom model tank on an XLR.
Old 29-06-2008, 08:28 PM

Quote:
What is the difference in size Liz?.
For the same reason I am hoping to put a custom model tank on an XLR.
Hi Tony, I would say at least 30% bigger.