The Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

+++ HARLEY-DAVIDSON RIDERS CLUB GREAT BRITAIN - ESTABLISHED 1949 +++

Go Back   The Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain > Technical > Twin Cam, TC88, TC96, TC103 & TC110
©2000-2012 Harley-Davidson Riders Club

Twin Cam, TC88, TC96, TC103 & TC110
Twin Cam

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2008, 08:04 PM
billytwobags

Red face Update on bike wont start !!!

Bike got piked up and started at my garage explained to the driver and to the shop explaining THAT IT ONLY WONT START WHEN REALLY COLD. Anyway phone call off the shop saying that theres nothing wrong and no history off fault codes showing went to pick bike up charged 65.00 and advised to wrap it with a blanket ! Was not a happy bunny was also advised to add a winter fail additive to the bike was given this free .Could not be do on warranty as no fault found.Also advised to keep it on trickle charge over nite i think that they missed my point as i was of to Scotland and not many pine trees have electric sockets, so its a blanket for my hog if i go camping when its cold.God knows what the owners of Harley's who live in Alaska do .
Old 04-03-2008, 10:12 PM
Club Member

Re: Update on bike wont start !!!

what stealer did you let rip you off so i dont use them,do they think you emagined the problem or what.if the bike dont start in the cold then there is a problem full stop,i feel so angry about so many dealers attitude towards problems after you have spent thousands of pounds with them,youve got a problem that isnt normal they should fix it no charge under gaurantee do they think you dreamt it._ankers
Old 05-03-2008, 12:14 AM
Club Member

Seen a similar problem once on a sporty, would not start when cold and by the time i got it picked up and back to the workshop and started work on it the bike had warmed up slightly and it started fine. It turned out to be the ignition module. Found out by use of freezer spray and hot air gun. I know yours ain't a sporty but you could get hold of a hair dryer or something similar and some freezer spray and have a prod around the ignition system.
Of course, if it's under warranty, prod the shop with something.
Hope this is of use to you.
Old 05-03-2008, 10:41 AM
Club Member

It's maybe a long shot, but I had an identical problem some years ago on what was then a new Suzuki (wash my mouth out!). To cut a long story short, I nailed it down to the fact that following its first warranty service the dealer had set the valve clearances with the bike warm, and whenever it cooled down overnight (in winter) and everything contracted, the valves were lifting off their seats, there was no compression, and she wouldn't start without a lot of pushing, swearing and sweating. Once I reset the clearances with a cold engine it was fine. Couldn't be the same in your case could it?
Old 05-03-2008, 12:14 PM
Club Member

Did the Suzi have hydraulic lifters? I think this one is more than likely an electrical issue.
Good deduction on the valve thing though, bet that made for some head scratching.
Old 05-03-2008, 05:37 PM
danpie

im not a mechanic so im only going on what ive read on here and from my own experience.
when i had a sporty, i used to have cold running issues all the time due to carb icing. i used the winter fuel additive and it solved it. i believe this is a fairly common thing on carb model HDs.
as far as i know, it shouldnt happen on a FI model, because the map should adjust the fueling for cold weather automatically. i have the exact same bike and set up as you and when i did the stage one using the settings from the v+h manual, it was running a little rich. i took it to silverstone hd and the mechanic there adjusted the settings, and since then the bike has been faultless.
these are the settings he gave me for a 2006 fxsti with SE filter, fuelpak and v+h shortshot staggered
1 0
2 -6
3 2
4 -2
5 0
6 20
7 2
8 0
9 0
10 0
11 3
12 -4
13 0
14 1
15 1
16 1
17 -4
18 0
19 calibrate
give these a try on your bike, if it still doesnt work right after that then you must have a fault somewhere on your bike, but as the dealer has checked and said there isnt one, i would say it is 99% down to your fuelpak settings.
hope this helps
dan
Old 05-03-2008, 08:11 PM
billytwobags

Smile Re: Update on bike wont start !!!

Thanx to all of you and for the advice i live in the North East of England cheers
Old 09-03-2008, 07:50 PM
Non Member

Keith

Just looked back at your original post, your have a 06 that cranks over okay but does not start when cold.

Think the advice you have been given from the stealership is shocking. Trickle charges are good for people who don't ride their bikes very often but keep the alarm going and anyway, your bike turns over and spits out 12 to 13 volts. There is no problem there!

These bikes start in the cold without additive. I use my 06 streetbob each day and I have had no problems at all throughout the winter. If you add additive your only going to cover the symptons.

With the EFIs I do not know what part of it acts in the quivalent way to a choke on a carb bike, on the wiring diagram of the ignition system for a dyna there are 2 pins of interest (it should be roughly the same for your bike) - intake air (air filter) temprature (pin 7) and engine temp (pin 6) - I bet these on the dyna contribute to the choke effect.

In my area there are HD stealerships who have good mechanics and ones that are not reputably as good ; is it worth you taking your bike along to another dealer for a 2nd opinion or going to a reputed indepdendant for some advice? North East has plenty of HD shops or there is hogdoc in Manchester ....

Cheers, Roy
Old 12-04-2008, 08:08 AM
Club Member

I run a2004 dyna on start up weather hot or cold these bikes add 12%

extra fuel regardless of how hot the bike is.

i don't now if it's changed on newer models, this is done by the .

You might have seen here that i am removing all this technical dealer reliant

over complicated injection EFI ,and fitting a carb for the reason of not

beholding to the stealer's

john
1980 FLH80 the old one
Old 13-04-2008, 03:09 PM
Non Member

I know this sounds stupid, but next time it wont start, pop the plugs out and warm the electrode end of em with a blow torch/gas cooker and it will fire right up.
Not a cure i know, but it works.
Convert to a carb, get rid of that overcomplicated injection junk, to many sensors and gubins to go tits up.
And they run to hot, which aint good for any air cooled motor.....Just my 2p worth