The Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

+++ HARLEY-DAVIDSON RIDERS CLUB GREAT BRITAIN - ESTABLISHED 1949 +++

Go Back   The Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain > Technical > Twin Cam, TC88, TC96, TC103 & TC110
©2000-2012 Harley-Davidson Riders Club

Twin Cam, TC88, TC96, TC103 & TC110
Twin Cam

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14-12-2009, 01:16 AM
PKellyMc

Re: Inner Primary Bearing Failure

Greetings from the Pacific Northwest;

I found this site and thread from a bearing number search at Yahoo. I'm an active member on the US "HDFORUMSdotCOM" website. We've had much experience and discussion regarding the '06 Dyna IPB issue, and I've become one of the site's better resources for IPB info and how the MoCo is handling it, at least stateside.
I signed up for this site so I could reply to some of the questions I read in some of the thread's first page of posts. That was before I realized this was a GB site, so my "help" may not be all that helpful for you.
My first IPB fail occurred at 3900-mi. I was still under warranty, so I was just happy to get a new bearing and race, and all labor costs covered by HD. When I started hearing that distinctive sound again at 12K, I undertook a crash course educating myself on the growing '06 IPB issue. By then, many more owners had posted to the above Forum, their experiences and MoCo's treatment of their problem. Some had had multiple failures, and were only getting new bearings/races each time. Soon we started getting members with multiple failures, and the MoCo's tired explanation about a bad batch of bearings from the supplier, was getting pretty threadbare...it's an alignment issue, not bad bearings and/or races. Multiple failure members were raising enough hell with Milwaukee, that some started getting '07+ IP and Transmission Cases, along with the bearing/race. Withthe '07+ cases, HD returned to having case alignment dowels, something the '06 cases were lacking.
We learned that the "pink letter" that HD gave to early '06 Dyna buyers was a major drop trou that the lawyers (solicitors?) later rescission letter couldn't undo. The cat was out of the bag, as we say. When my second failure occurred this last May, my 2-yr warranty had expired, but I called HD Customer Service and referenced the pink letter. They half-heartedly tried to counter that it had been rescinded, but knew that we had them by the "short-and-curlys".
Since this was my second failure, I got them to cover all parts and labor for what I came to call "The Full Monty" fix (yes, borrowed from you chaps). I carefully documented my experiences with my shop, Milwaukee, a friend and dealership owner who funneled me drawings and information, and others' information I collected from HDForum threads/posts. I even worked with my shop to get a free upgrade to a chrome IPCase in the process...others now do this upgrade as part of their Full Monty fix.
My IPB thread, with all its helpful data, is now the "go to" link for any member with a whirring noise in their primary. I don't know how much it might help those of you in the UK; different laws, warranty, etc. If you think it might help, or if you just want to avail yourself of the information it contains, PM me or shoot me an email and I can send you a link to the thread on the HDForum. Maybe it is searchable by its title "Finally, Good News - Inner Primary Bearing", or this link (if allowed here)......
Finally, Good News - Inner Primary Bearing - Harley Davidson Forums

Patrick (PKELLYMCatYAHOOdotCOM)

ps - A poll I posted on our Forum asked whether and/or how many IPB failures '06 owners have had; so far, over 1/3 of respondents have had one or more IPB failures.

Last edited by PKellyMc; 14-12-2009 at 08:42 AM.
Old 14-12-2009, 03:16 AM
Club Member

I read a little of the link.

Even if you are on your first failure & you have that low a mileage on your bike, it is a matter of measurement. If your mainshaft isn`t centered in the outer race & you have the correct build VIN, have your Dealer apply to tech in Oxford for an autho for a new inner primary & tranny case. It is a known issue.

If you are having any difficulties or they are unsure as to this, pm me your VIN & mileage. I will run it on the HD database & pass it through channels.

Last edited by Phil; 14-12-2009 at 03:24 AM.
Old 15-12-2009, 01:48 PM

Some good info the Patrick. Thanks.

Phil, are you saying that the outer race is not concentric with the inner race because when you fit the inner primary case over the mainshaft it has to line up dosen't it? Or does the bolting up pull the case over a few thou causing the bearing to load up?

Or is it that there is run out on the mainshaft causing the failure maybe?

I changed mine at 10,000 miles and I'm now on 16,000. It's fine at the moment. I was careful to line everything up so I'm just hoping it's going to be OK. I also ran Loctite 290 down the rotor threads (on your advice Phil thank you). I see the primary chain tensioner has been revised as well now. It's been beefed up.
Old 15-12-2009, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilslick View Post
Some good info the Patrick. Thanks.

Phil, are you saying that the outer race is not concentric with the inner race because when you fit the inner primary case over the mainshaft it has to line up dosen't it? Or does the bolting up pull the case over a few thou causing the bearing to load up?

Or is it that there is run out on the mainshaft causing the failure maybe?

I changed mine at 10,000 miles and I'm now on 16,000. It's fine at the moment. I was careful to line everything up so I'm just hoping it's going to be OK. I also ran Loctite 290 down the rotor threads (on your advice Phil thank you). I see the primary chain tensioner has been revised as well now. It's been beefed up.
See #26
Old 17-12-2009, 07:38 AM
Non Member

Interesting information indeed, I am progressing a complaint about mine with HD UK. Been the expected slow journey so far, however now they have sent me their correct phone numer (...) and also conceded to talk to me rather than me talk to a dealer - I should have some news soon.

Will post back when I have spoken to them,

Cheers, ROy
Old 18-12-2009, 05:36 PM
Non Member

I spoke to HD UK Customer Service today about my IPB complaint.

This is the 1st step, so was more about gathering information on their part - getting a feel for history of my bike etc. They seemed concerned about me having bought my streetbob privately (albeit, 1700 miles, 10 months old) rather than from a dealer and kept on about the advantage of a dealer service is the diagnostics side. Which, I suspect would not have picked up a mechanical issue like the IPB.

So, anyway, Tom has trotted off to investigate. I'll let you know how it goes

.. Roy
Old 30-01-2010, 01:08 PM
Non Member

Okay, my IPB complaint has now been resolved with HD.

They have not accepted any liability of the IPB failure or said they know off other failures, however they have given me a voucher towards my next Harley (new or used) which more than covers the expense of when I had my IPB replaced.

All I will say is it took quite a lot of persistance; however far play they gave me this token to keep me as a HD customer.

PM me if you want any details.

Still looking for a 1584 nightrain if anyone knows of one ...

Cheers, Roy
Old 31-01-2010, 11:24 AM
Club Member

Thanks Roy have sent PM. I have still not heard from HD despite the guy at Chester HD telling me that he has spoken to head office twice so far. Not sure whether vouchers towards another Harley would cut it for me especially as this f*cked what was supposed to be a Holiday of a lifetime for us. I always thought if I ever got to buy a Harley I would be keeping it not buying a new one every three years Anyway I guess I will persist, any response from HD would be better than being ignored

Back in League 2 Next season twas good whilst it lasted but very stressful
The great way is not difficult for those who have no preferences

06 FXDBi Dyna
52 XT600 Yamaharley
Old 31-01-2010, 11:48 AM
Club Member

Yes, it's a result Roy, but a very Harley result.
How any responsible Company can issue a recall for something, withdraw it, even though the problem still exists, and then back away from taking responsibility for the consequences beggars belief.
Vouchers are a result, but no substitute for them paying for the defect they built into your extremely expensive machine.
Old 31-01-2010, 01:13 PM
Non Member

Absolutely agreed.

They have not addressed the original complaint at all and in the letter have not referred back to my complaint.

I am in a process here, this is step 1, I will continue to persue it however have another issue to work through which is taking higher priority.

I know they are going to find it hard to admit any liability as the financial implications are enormous. The only reason they have issued the voucher to me is better to lose a little money than a customer, which was part of my angle to them.

Will keep you posted.

Cheers, Roy