The Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

+++ HARLEY-DAVIDSON RIDERS CLUB GREAT BRITAIN - ESTABLISHED 1949 +++

Go Back   The Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain > Technical > Twin Cam, TC88, TC96, TC103 & TC110
©2000-2012 Harley-Davidson Riders Club

Twin Cam, TC88, TC96, TC103 & TC110
Twin Cam

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2010, 10:40 AM
Club Member

03 Road King injection expected MPG

I was just wondering what the expected MPG should be for my FLHRCI. Yesterday, I started with a full tank...took a note of the mileage, then she died on me as I pulled into a petrol station. I'd covered 179 miles. So this makes it 36 to the gallon. Is this about right, or should I think about remapping it again. It does run strong and I don't ride it too hard.

Brian.

Anglia Region 15 member.

My old man always said if it has tits or tyres...it'll be trouble...and he was right.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:48 AM
Club Member

Re: 03 Road King injection expected MPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
I was just wondering what the expected MPG should be for my FLHRCI. Yesterday, I started with a full tank...took a note of the mileage, then she died on me as I pulled into a petrol station. I'd covered 179 miles. So this makes it 36 to the gallon. Is this about right, or should I think about remapping it again. It does run strong and I don't ride it too hard.

Brian.
Was that after you had turned on to reserve?

How many litres did it take for 179 miles?

It's well out I would say! I'm getting circa 47-8 mpg to the gallon with a Mikuni carb see here.

These figures below are for a Police 2003 Harley-Davidson Police FLHPI Road King bearing in mind the US gallon is smaller than our Imperial Gallon you should get more than these figures:

An imperial gallon is 4.5L and a US gallon is 4L

PERFORMANCE
Engine Torque (ft. lbs./rpms) 86 ft/lbs @ 3500 rpm
Lean Angle (per SAEJ1168):
Right 31 degrees
Left 30 degrees
Mileage: (per E.P.A. test regulations)
City 39 mpg**
Highway 46 mpg **
............USA Gallon

see more here

Last edited by BaZaŽ; 06-04-2010 at 10:50 AM.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:55 AM
Club Member

Cheers Baza for pointing this out. I was forgetting that the spec is US measurements. The tank capacity is 4.9 US gallons, so in English...I am getting more than 36.
I feel a prat for starting this thread now .
I'll run it out and do my sums again.

Brian.

Anglia Region 15 member.

My old man always said if it has tits or tyres...it'll be trouble...and he was right.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:00 AM
Club Member

Quote:
Cheers Baza for pointing this out. I was forgetting that the spec is US measurements. The tank capacity is 4.9 US gallons, so in imperial...I am getting more than 36.
I feel a prat for starting this thread now .
I'll run it out and do my sums again.

Brian.
Just look at the receipt and tell us how many litres you bought for the 179 miles.

Forget the tank size the only way to work out your mpg is to fill the tank zero the speedo and ride either a decent ride or urban try them both and when finished one or the other fill to same brim as before divide your litres by 4.546 to get how many gallons you have used and divide that number into the mileage between fill ups. Read my link in last message.

Simples

Old 06-04-2010, 11:40 AM

That's about right without a passenger, I look for juice at about 160 miles. (2000 FLHRCI). Pillion and luggage, or prolonged 70MPH+ can drop my range to about 130 miles. I've given up on MPGs use in miles per litre, so 10 miles per litre is about right. Handy for when you're 'tother side of the water.
Dai
Old 06-04-2010, 08:20 PM
Bleiglass

a very good question, I tried to find it out, and got conflicting results. See my detailed post on the problems, as mpg is not mpg at all. as Grampa Simpson said: My Harley gets forty rods to the hogshead, and that’s the way I likes it!
Old 24-04-2010, 11:28 AM
Reaper

Bit late reading this one
I dream of 179 miles out of my tank, I've got a 51 plate Road King ( carb )with a stage one and if I keep it below 65 mph I can get about 40 mpg if I let it go to around 70 mph I get around 35 mpg. These are mainly solo motorway miles and it's been like that since I bought it 12 months ago.
Old 24-04-2010, 11:38 AM
Club Member

Brian something else that would increase your fuel consumption is the lower gearing you had been using.

Is it still geared low or have you put it back to normal?

Old 25-04-2010, 12:51 PM
Club Member

That reduced gearing came out of my bike faster than it went in. The consumption was like tipping petrol out of a bucket. I'm back to factory gearing now and getting 36mpg at my riding style.

Brian.

Anglia Region 15 member.

Old 25-04-2010, 01:01 PM
Club Member

Quote:
That reduced gearing came out of my bike faster than it went in. The consumption was like tipping petrol out of a bucket. I'm back to factory gearing now and getting 36mpg at my riding style.

Brian.
Getting close to 200 miles on tank on my 2009 Ultra Classic that I've had for a couple of months. That's about 39 mpg, Lots better than the 30 - 32 mpg I was getting on my Sportster. And this one I can use the torque at down to about 1500 rpm without it snatching. Waiting to see what the consumption is on the TGWToS, 1800 is miles of 2 up touring.