The Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

+++ HARLEY-DAVIDSON RIDERS CLUB GREAT BRITAIN - ESTABLISHED 1949 +++

Go Back   The Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain > Technical > Twin Cam, TC88, TC96, TC103 & TC110
©2000-2012 Harley-Davidson Riders Club

Twin Cam, TC88, TC96, TC103 & TC110
Twin Cam

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17-08-2010, 07:52 AM
fatbobber

thundermax problems

I have been reading for a while this forum, very helpful indeed :-)
Logged on to it finally.
Been having a problem with my Thundermax and i am worried that it will happen again, are there any people out here that had the same expirience? Here is my story:
I have a Fatbob '2008 with a thundermax autotune system on board, remus exhausts and kuryakin airfilter.
Bike was riding like a dream the first 6000 miles, I broke down in Scotland on vacation with the bike.At West-Coast Harley in Glasgow they could not help me out because those guys didn't had the software from thundermax, they were very very helpfull indeed and tried there best to put me back on the road,cheers guys,this is a dealership to remember...
Brought the bike home with the international assistance and looked it over...i found out with the laptop on it,that the thundermax had lost all of his data and was fallen back on his basic program. The bike started very hard and backfired in the airfilter and the exhaust.
After initializing the bike had a very high idle and was not rideable...that were the symptoms when i broke down.
The Smartlink programm also told me that i was running a very old version of software on the bike's module and had to update it!!
I could not even set the six't gear number in smartlink.
I updated the modules software, reinstalled the maps etc...now bike is running fine again!?!?
I e-mailed Zippers with the problem and the told me that i had a 'firmware corruption', a very rare condition ....This is the result of either a spike of current from the electrical system or a loss of clean 12 volt power due to a cable or ground connection that is not secure.

I checked the complete bike for anything like they said... found absolutly nothing that could be wrong !
The bike runs fine again but i am worried , next year i am plannig a long trip trough Russia with the bike and don't want to have this condition to happen again.
Is there somebody out there that had the same thing hapening, and what was the outcome of the problem ??
Old 17-08-2010, 05:14 PM

Re: thundermax problems

i though they where plug and play and mapped themslves
Old 17-08-2010, 05:58 PM
Club Member

The thundermax still requires an input of the initial map which is supplied/downloaded from zippers site thousands of options available to suit many filter/exhaust/cams/throttle body diameter/ injector size/porting of the heads etc etc etc . Basic map uploaded will match your bikes set up about 90% the autotune will then finish off the tuning to nearer a perfect tune , it can't However work out all the hardware upgrades on the engine and instal it's own base map then fine tune it . If any company out there can devise a product like that sign me up for one and some shares in the company would be a bloody goldmine ........... Bert.
Old 17-08-2010, 07:12 PM

I was looking at them the yanks highly rate them.
Old 18-08-2010, 05:18 AM
Club Member

If you are still worried about a repeat performance, then it may be worth taking along with you, a copy of the software on a USB Flash disk (thumb drive or whatever you call them), and any vital cables. Then all you will need in the event of a re-occurence is access to a laptop. you could even probably take along one of them tiny notebook things.

Won't take up much space in your luggage.

Good luck,
Jeb

Someone who thinks logically provides a nice contrast to the real world.
Old 18-08-2010, 08:46 PM
fatbobber

It looks like i am the only one with this sort of breakdown...nice to hear,it helps to reinstall my confidence in the system ;-)
I am also thinking of a small notebook to take along on long trips, it does not take a lot of room and comes in very handy for al kinds of purposes ;-)
Rode the bike again today,it just runs fabulous...hard to believe it broke down in the Highlands .
Old 29-08-2010, 02:40 AM
Non Member

I've been running a Thundermax on my 2008 Fat Bob and never experienced the problem you've had.
Got me worried though! lol
I've done over 10,000 with this setup and all good in the hood mate.
Hope the mini laptop gives peace of mind.

Stay safe
Old 29-08-2010, 09:48 AM
Club Member

If the unit lost the firmware/flash memory upload then I agree this is a pretty rare thing. Most electrical things (cameras, phones, etc) have flash memory and its pretty hard to get it to lose its contents because its designed to only be alterable with special programming conditions. It doesn't need to be powered to maintain the data either.

I'd say there is something wrong with the unit because I can personnally not remember a similar problem with a flash memory device for years expect for one occasion when I had a faulty memory card for a camera and I lost all my photos for a trip.

I suggest returning the Thundermax and have the manufacturer replace it.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:10 PM
fatbobber

Foxster, that's a good point of view, never thought of it that way...email is send to Zippers :-)
Old 02-09-2010, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxster View Post
If the unit lost the firmware/flash memory upload then I agree this is a pretty rare thing. Most electrical things (cameras, phones, etc) have flash memory and its pretty hard to get it to lose its contents because its designed to only be alterable with special programming conditions. It doesn't need to be powered to maintain the data either.

I'd say there is something wrong with the unit because I can personnally not remember a similar problem with a flash memory device for years expect for one occasion when I had a faulty memory card for a camera and I lost all my photos for a trip.

I suggest returning the Thundermax and have the manufacturer replace it.
I lost my old digital camera. Couldnt find it anywhere. Eventually found it whilst gardening. Then I remember I put it by a bush whilst having a barbecue. It had sat outside for over two years. The camera was trashed but the photos where still on the card (once it dried out). Totally agree that flash memory is pretty much bullet proof.