The Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

+++ HARLEY-DAVIDSON RIDERS CLUB GREAT BRITAIN - ESTABLISHED 1949 +++

Go Back   The Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain > Technical > Twin Cam, TC88, TC96, TC103 & TC110
©2000-2012 Harley-Davidson Riders Club

Twin Cam, TC88, TC96, TC103 & TC110
Twin Cam

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18-02-2011, 05:59 AM
Trader

Re: Cam recommendations for TC 96"

Take your pick from these ...

Andrews TW26H, Andrews TW48H,

SE 255, SE 204,

S & S 551

Woods TW6-6, Woods TW555,

Remember that the term 'bolt in' when referring to cams only means that they will run with stock compression & valvetrain components. It does not mean that they will run at their best .. All of the above grinds will come alive with more compression and matching air flow requirements

info@fastlaneheadwork.co.uk
Old 18-02-2011, 12:13 PM
Non Member

ok..am a real newbie to this but came across gear driven cams..wtf lol ok so read about them and for my 2007 street bob 96"er it's something I don't need..
Have looked at a few charts from peeps and deciding between an SE204 or an SE255...think the 204 suits more my riding style and most stock 96" builds with these cams are quite respectfull..most coming on cam around 2-2500rpm with max power in the low 90's and max Tq topping 100.

To compare heres a 96" with SE255 cams..max power is less but Tq about the same as the SE204 ??
Old 18-02-2011, 12:23 PM

Evos, shovels and Sportsters all have gear driven cams, but in a TC they need a very tight tolerance on crank run-out, something the stock chain-drive cams are not so fussy about. So even if you would like them you would need to check your engine first to see if it is suitable. Frankly there is enough choice out there to use a chain set-up.

I recently saw some advice on a US forum along the lines of: choose the next cam down from the one that looks like the right one. They always claim to do more than they deliver for most of us! So don't be too ambitious.
Old 18-02-2011, 01:58 PM
Non Member

Apparantly the heads on the newer 96" flow well enough..the SE204 cam is as good as any other in that bracket..looking for a mild bolt in upgrade that delivers ..so you can feel the difference by the seat of your pants... oh yea and keep reliability.
I know the tuning road gets more and more expensive(and unreliable) for every extra bhp..learnt that lesson way back with big bore mini engines and 2.0 ltr MGB motors with kent cams and webbers lol..great fun when they worked.
Old 18-02-2011, 02:22 PM
Club Member

The MoCo offer SE 255 cams with their 103ci kits and in the CVOs, but SE 203 with the 95ci upgrade. If you assume (a big assumption) that this is based on sound engineering principles it suggests that the 255 cam works better with the bigger engines, so the 203 or 204 might be more suitable for a 96 motor. Or maybe it's just a marketing whim
Old 18-02-2011, 03:44 PM
Non Member

From the dyno chart the 255 in a 96 delivers the sam Tq but a little less bhp than the 204 which inclines me to think a 255 is a Bagger cam..just my newbie opinion
Old 18-02-2011, 04:12 PM
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikebandit View Post
From the dyno chart the 255 in a 96 delivers the sam Tq but a little less bhp than the 204 which inclines me to think a 255 is a Bagger cam..just my newbie opinion
They work well in my 103 bagger. It's a pity they don't give cam options with their SE kits, a lighter bike like the Dyna might benefit from a little less bottom end and more in the mid range. From your dyno it looks like the 204 gives the best if both worlds which begs the question why put the 255 in the CVOs, including the lighter models. That's why I wondered whether the 255 works better in the big inch motors.
Old 18-02-2011, 09:30 PM
Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikebandit View Post
which inclines me to think a 255 is a Bagger cam
The reason the 255 works well in baggers is the intake closing point of 25 degrees ABDC. This develops torque early which is essential to overcome inertia and get these heavy bikes moving to a speed that the horsepower output can maintain. Torque is what accelerates the bike & horsepower is what keeps it moving. The 204 intake closes 9 degrees later thn the 255 so it develops torque a little further up the RPM range and holds it for longer. Take your riding style into account. The 255 is strong in the low to mid range & the 204 is more mid range to higher RPM. The 204 has an early opening exhaust so it gives a very nice exhaust note ... The 255 has been known to give hard starting problems in 103 and upwards motors due to it building compression very early. Some do and some don't as stock heads are never the same volume. This can be overcome with compression releases.

Old 19-02-2011, 12:28 AM
Non Member

...so looks like a 204 in a standard 96(+sert+freeflow filter+Big Radius) will give results then...uprate clutch springs maybe same time? Compression releases not needed ??
Old 19-02-2011, 08:32 AM
Trader

You'll get a nice mid range kick with a 204 in a stock 96 .. The heads vary between 86 - 88cc which will give you around 184 to 187 psi cranking compression with stock head gaskets. You won't need releases at that pressure. The exhaust is the weak point though .. Once you have the cams installed it might be worth you trying to borrow another exhaust from a mate to try out .. The clutch spring could hold up or maybe not depending on how throttle happy you are!