The Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

+++ HARLEY-DAVIDSON RIDERS CLUB GREAT BRITAIN - ESTABLISHED 1949 +++

Go Back   The Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain > Technical > Vintage & Classic Era
©2000-2012 Harley-Davidson Riders Club

Vintage & Classic Era
Vintage Section
Side-Valves, Knuckles, Pans
Ironhead Sportsters, Shovels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29-08-2006, 09:39 AM
SteffanK

Panhead timing

Silly question but .....Is it possible for a 49 panhead to be 180 deg out of timing so that the inlet and outlet valves work in opposition . i.e the petrol splits out via carb rather than being sucked in on a down stroke
Old 29-08-2006, 03:52 PM
Club Member

Re: Panhead timing

Give us some more info, have you had the bike to bits ? ie put the cam back in wrong ? or has the bike just started playing up ?
Old 31-08-2006, 11:54 AM
SteffanK

I have not tampered with the engine but the previous owner may have.
Lets assume they have what could the worst senario be?
could it be wrong ?
Old 31-08-2006, 01:17 PM
Any_Old_Iron

Best to start afresh before thinking about cams e.t.c, check the timing of the engine and valves :-

Pull the spark plugs and set the point gap to .018 for 12volt systems, .022 for 6 volts, on the highest point of the point-cam lobe. Turn engine over until the front cyl point cam lobe (the small one) is coming around and getting ready to open the points. Remove the timing plug on the engine and gently turn the engine on the kickstarter until the timing mark appears in the hole. On most earlier big twins it should be a straight line, get it approx. in the center or slightly before.

Now check your valves - both valves should be closed as you are at TDC i.e. mark in the middle of the hole.

If this is correct continue to rotate the engine with the piston now travelling downwards - you are now on the power stroke. Once the piston starts to rise again then you are on the exhaust stroke and the exhaust valve should be opening. Once the piston get to the top of the cylinder again the exhaust valve should close and the inlet open - you are now on the intake stroke and so on and so on.
Old 04-09-2006, 11:17 AM
SteffanK

Thanks i'll try
Old 06-05-2009, 11:39 PM
buffalobillcody

Talking Re: Panhead timing

Also don't forget to move distributer counterclockwise(fully advanced position). Then check your points cam follower. It should line up with the points arm fiber cam follower. If it does not loosen the nut on the stude by where that spring is attached, and then line up the points with the cam lobe and tighten nut. The spring on this distributer is on there to keep the distributer in the advanced position after the bike starts. You will have to take it off to start the machine and move it to the fully retarded position(clockwise) to start it. Once it satrts, reattach the spring and it should go just fine. You may want to invest in an automatic advance distributer. After riding Panheads since 1974, belive me this will make starting your bike a whole lot easier!! My Panhead is a 1949 on a 1958 frame and it IS my daily driver!!1 Good luck!