The Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

+++ HARLEY-DAVIDSON RIDERS CLUB GREAT BRITAIN - ESTABLISHED 1949 +++

Go Back   The Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain > Technical > Vintage & Classic Era
©2000-2012 Harley-Davidson Riders Club

Vintage & Classic Era
Vintage Section
Side-Valves, Knuckles, Pans
Ironhead Sportsters, Shovels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27-10-2008, 03:57 PM
Club Member

From my friend in Chicago: Panheads forever and a sectret location in .......

...............North Suburban Chicago.

You’ve heard the stories. “pulled it outa’ a barn”,.... “ it was buried under some junk in a basement”,.... “my uncle’s friend gave it to him to take care of right before he shipped out”. Countless versions of stories depicting the find of a rare antique. Most are true, some have been embellished and taken on a life of their own. Lee Hartung has countless stories, but in Lee’s case, he has the physical evidence to prove it.

Tucked inside a huge metal building located in a secret area in North Suburban Chicago is all the proof Lee needs to back up his stories. Crammed inside his ‘barn’ are his finds just the way he found them. From his record collection of license plates to Model As, Model Ts, Harley Davidsons, Excelsiors, Popes, Indians, Hendersons, Super Xs, and countless other nic-naks. Big shots from Dale Walksler to Jay Leno know Lee. His collection is highly coveted but is not for sale. Lee has turned down countless offers and is content to hold onto his ‘junk’.
A couple times a year we visit Lee and are spellbound as he spins his tales about collecting things his whole life. Lee was a junk man along with being an avid motorcycle enthusiast.
Sunday we rode out to Lee’s place again and got the ‘tour’. It was cold & windy and with no lighting inside the barn the camera flash was all that illuminated the treasures within. Inside there’s stuff piled on stuff and it takes real study to ‘see’ what you’re lookin’ at. Every time I go I notice something ‘new’ that’s been there all along. I submit these pix as proof that the ‘barn find’ is alive & well. Take your time and enjoy.

Last edited by BaZa®; 27-10-2008 at 04:00 PM.
Old 27-10-2008, 03:58 PM
Club Member

Re: From my friend in Chicago: Panheads forever and a sectret location in .......

PANHEADS FOREVER !

Old 27-10-2008, 04:06 PM
maid in cornwall

Re: From my friend in Chicago: Panheads forever and a sectret location in .......

Kin Awesome, thanks for sharing those pics, they are truly amazing. I love places like that
Old 27-10-2008, 04:24 PM
Club Member

What a great place
Old 27-10-2008, 05:26 PM
Club Member

Fantastic pictures and story ,
what a way to be able to spend the day.
Old 27-10-2008, 08:11 PM
Club Member

Amazing place, credit to the man for keeping it like that.
Thanks for the piccys Baza. I like the old B&W pics and that pan with the red art deco tank looks real nice.
Old 28-10-2008, 05:50 AM
Flying Dutchman

Kin Awesome, thanks for sharing those pics, they are truly amazing

Harry

can I go there for shopping
Old 28-10-2008, 10:35 AM
Non Member

fantastic, a slice thru american automobile history
Old 05-10-2009, 09:18 AM
Club Member

Thumbs up Road Stop: Lee Hartung’s Museum

Road Stop: Lee Hartung’s Museum
Harley Hartung's Auto Museum 3623 W Lake Ave. Glenview IL 60025
Quote:
...Ironworks Magazine

The most recent Hartung story tells of Jay Leno visiting the museum to buy a Flying Merkel boardtracker that was, as the story goes, “just sitting on a shelf.” The story has the usual Hartung ending, too—like everybody else, Leno couldn’t cinch the deal.
There’s also the tale about how the folks representing the Pebble Beach automotive concours d’elegance sought one of Hartung’s cars for the California classic. Turns out that the Hartung collection includes the very first car to win Pebble Beach. Hartung chose not to attend, and the car stayed home, too.

Here is a slide show from my friend Rick in Chicago who went along there at the weekend.

BaZa

Beautiful day, good turn out for our visit to Lee Hartung's time capsule.
A Knuck, four Pans and three Shovelheads made the ride to Glenview.
Here's a slideshow.

Enjoy
Rick

Old 24-07-2011, 02:55 PM
Friend/Hartungs

Re: Road Stop: Lee Hartung’s Museum

RIP Lee Roy Hartung and your amazing Museum, I imagine all the motorcycles will be the first to go. Lee knew this and stashed the gem way in the back to make the removal a bit difficult. July 24th 2011 Sunday now has a huge Semi Tractor trailer waiting to begin the cherry pickin process and the fire sale begins