The Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

+++ HARLEY-DAVIDSON RIDERS CLUB GREAT BRITAIN - ESTABLISHED 1949 +++

Go Back   The Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain > Technical > Vintage & Classic Era
©2000-2012 Harley-Davidson Riders Club

Vintage & Classic Era
Vintage Section
Side-Valves, Knuckles, Pans
Ironhead Sportsters, Shovels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29-05-2011, 10:09 AM
Club Member

Re: 1971 Electra Glide.

Funny you should mention the model kits Kev; around the same time I made a Revell 1975 Super Glide and wanted one ever since.

I reckon it'll go for around 8,000, not what it's worth! A friend of mine had his genny shovel e-glide listed and that was only up to 8,000 when I last looked. Seeing the extra pictures the guy's put on hasn't put me off at all.
ANY ONE WANT TO BUY A BONNEVILLE 1981 T140E?
Chaz.
Old 29-05-2011, 11:12 AM

It was on gumtree for a max of 6.5k.
It never sold in 2 weeks.
I thought this was too much, 5.5 max for me.
Not intersted in bidding in an auction, ebay is a showroom for me.
If it sells for more than this, ebay is the best place to sell.
Would you keep it as pink and original or change it to suit your taste.
Is the value mainly the fact that paint etc is original.
Would it be devalued if it was repainted.
I am looking for a black and chrome shovel as my ideal harley bike, this bike would never look the same again.
From what people are saying, I would be the wrong owner for this bike.
Old 29-05-2011, 11:26 AM

I couldn't help but notice you'd offered him 4K. His reply didn't surprise me, in fact many wouldn't have been so polite.

Not wishing to be unkind or disrespectful, but since you've pretty much stated what you're after and how much you can budget for, you've effectively answered your own questions; and until you've actually found your bike we're not going to be able to help you much. Once you have, it goes without saying that this forum will be one of your most useful resources, especially if you actually join HDRCGB and get involved in our activities; Northern Scotland is a growing region as you've probably noticed.

Put simply, to do anything cosmetic to that Glide beyond touching in rust spots and repairing the seat would be absolute sacrilege, akin to restoring an Old Master by stripping all the paint off.
Old 29-05-2011, 12:53 PM

4k was a start because it looked dodgy on gumtree and then I saw it on ebay.
Scams and scammers everywhere at the moment, you have to be very careful nowadays.
My reply was that I was really looking for a reply with a price and phone call or number to confirm it was a proper sale, the guy never put that question on the site.
Guy was not offended by the offer and I would not have been offended with the same offer on my bikes. It starts the dialogue and you go from there. Never be offended by any offer, they are usually the guys who are genuine and buy the item in the end. It happened with 2 of my bikes and the new owners were great to deal with.
The owner of this bike sounds like a good honest guy to deal with and the new owner should have no trouble with the sale.
I spoke to him on the phone and was impressed with the guy.
Old 29-05-2011, 01:58 PM
Club Member

I agree 100% with Kev on any 'customising' of such an original bike. There are so few about these days, even in the states; they should be preserved rather than a bare metal restoration where possible in my view. That done, the stock models, even the much maligned AMF ones, will still be around for future generations.
There are Shovels that come up that have been changed beyond recognition from their original that make a good blank canvas for customs.
Re stock/custom values, take a look on ebay USA and your question will be answered.
So lets keep the stock ones stock and out there on the road where they belong.
Hope this doesn't sound too self righteous.
Chaz.
Old 02-06-2011, 03:11 PM
Club Member

It went for 7,360.00!!! It's still a buyers market but I couldn't stretch to that Still for that money I guess the new owner will keep it stock and appreciate what he has.
Chaz.
Old 02-06-2011, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by last shovel View Post
An interesting point: having looked closely at all the pics,
I discern this one has a 2-into-one exhaust (with no cap-off). That, I think, is now, as then, an altogether rare thing for a Dresser eh?
May not be original. IIRC Police models had a similar 2-into-1 system. I thought of buying one for my '74.
Old 02-06-2011, 05:29 PM
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grbrown View Post
May not be original. IIRC Police models had a similar 2-into-1 system. I thought of buying one for my '74.
I'm fitting one onto mine (84 FXWG) here soon, but haven't decided between a "squash-pipe" type or a 2 piece yet.

I ran a 2-into-one on my 66 "SuperGlided" FLH for a while,
on this bike I ran an Andrews "A" grind with a lightened valve train (Manley S/S valves, real solids [NOT the mushroom adapters that will beat the lifter wheels to death], alloy and tapered push-rods).
Very nice results, rather free breathing at 75 mph and the roll-on from there up was outstanding; she was geared to out-run the flys.
For a baffle I used a 1 1/2 inch "can-opener" style that I rammed a big screwdriver down through the middle of to open it up a bit (ok, a LOT really) and bolted [it] in about 1 3/4 inches from the exit. This satisfied, mostly, the cop who pulled me over for making too much noise and stuck his baton in it to see if I had anything up in there.The bugger!

When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout!

A common mistake made when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:37 PM
Club Member

Re/exhaust, a mate of mine dug out a poster he had as a lad of an early 70's FLH. This had a 2-1 system with a muffler with the zebra crossing detail pressed into the steel around it's end. Same style as the '73 livery. Have seen these mufflers come up on ebay US once. I reckon this is that system although it cannot be made out on the listing photo's.
Old 05-06-2011, 04:28 PM
Club Member

Some interesting points....did anybody else from here go to view this?

I went last week.

The cosmetics looked like it had done 117,000 miles

The motor however looked totally unmolested, and started and ran soooo crisp - no clatter, no wheezing, no smoke, and only a small leak.

Quote:
Dead throttle, Bendix carb, late juice rear......
What more could a body want?

You are bang on the money, sir. 2 part bars, and internal cable

Quote:
"Close to original" I daresay!
An interesting point: having looked closely at all the pics,
I discern this one has a 2-into-one exhaust (with no cap-off). That, I think, is now, as then, an altogether rare thing for a Dresser eh?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
Re/exhaust, a mate of mine dug out a poster he had as a lad of an early 70's FLH. This had a 2-1 system with a muffler with the zebra crossing detail pressed into the steel around it's end. Same style as the '73 livery. Have seen these mufflers come up on ebay US once. I reckon this is that system although it cannot be made out on the listing photo's.
The rear header has NOT been capped. I thought at first it looked Factory, but it's much better than that, and didn't need chrome heatshield to hide it!

That pic also shows the original (factory?) clips on all the oil lines at the pump. A number of other things convinced me it really is an almost new '72.....

NO aftermarket chrome covers (primary, cone, etc)......crosshead screws on covers!!! (and none of them chewed / rusty)

Above is old style tap /petcock (dodgy design, and usually replaced), also the factory clips on the fuel line, rather than jubilees.

As you can probably tell I was much impressed...........

(Disclaimer: Hydra's are my 'thing', I make no claim to be any authority on baggers.... I suspect some of my comments will be corrected by those with greater knowledge )