The Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

+++ HARLEY-DAVIDSON RIDERS CLUB GREAT BRITAIN - ESTABLISHED 1949 +++

Go Back   The Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain > Serious Discussion > Virtual Rally
©2000-2012 Harley-Davidson Riders Club

Virtual Rally Serious Discussion and Talk Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18-01-2008, 05:02 PM
Club Member

Original 1938 B S A C10

Hi there

Is there any B S A enthusiast out there that could give me some advice on a 1938 B S A C10 side valve with girder forks, hand change three-speed gearbox, 6 volt coil ignition "which I was told is original",

The bike is in fantastic condition, it’s not been restored as far as I can see, just a well looked after bike that is still being used to this day!! It also has the original number plate,

Apparently there aren’t that many with girder forks and hand gear change around,

The story is this is one of the first C10’s B S A produced, production started just before the war, then stopped for the war, then when the war was over the C10 was re-produced but with slider forks and foot gear change (please don’t quote me on this information I'm only going on what I’ve been told!!) if you know better please feel free to put me right.

I would love to own something like this but personally I think the person (A very nice old man who has been riding motorbikes all his life) is offering it for sale to Cheaply “yes you did read that right” I’m sure he could get a lot more for it, so if there are any knowledgeable B S A enthusiast out there that could give me some idea of what it may be worth, I would be very greatfull,

I’ll come back once I have had some idea of value and let you know how much he is asking for,

If you need any further information please ask,

I did try to upload a photo but it diddn't work however if anyone would like to have a look at it please send me your email address and I'll send you some pic's of the bike.

Dave Cox

1550 03 55k + Road King

Last edited by Ukkid76; 18-01-2008 at 05:06 PM. Reason: No photo!!!!!
Old 18-01-2008, 05:21 PM
Non Member

Re: Original 1938 B S A C10

You may find the old guy may sell it cheaper to someone who will cherish the bike as he did. I would think it may be worth more in it's original state rather than if it had been "restored" I hope it goes to someone like yourself a rider and not a collector.
you should get talking to the old guy and let him open up to you, some of these old riders have great stories to tell and he'll have all the bikes history.
possibly the old buff log book with the owners names and addresses on it.
something I find fasinating.
Old 18-01-2008, 06:18 PM
45Brit

what you have been told is essentially correct. The original C10 was a girder-fork, rigid frame bike with coil ignition and 3 speed hand-change gearbox. It replaced the Model X, a 150cc lightweight ohv model designed by Val Page.

It was new for the 1938 model year, and was due to be followed by a sv 350cc version called the C11, which was never produced due to the war.

after the war, it was re-introduced and lingered on for years attracting a small but loyal following. There was a plunger version with the Bantam cycle parts, a later version with 4 speeds, and finally one with tele forks from the C15. They are all totally gutless, making about 10bhp, but quite fun in their own way and very reliable.

the next development was the C11, the ohv one with wierd crossed pushrods, developed from a pre-war model originally designed for Francis-Barnett . The final C11G had 4 speeds, swing-arm suspension, ohv and alternator electrics ( G = generator )

there is a group for fans of them on MSN, if you do a bit of hunting about.

I would say that if you like these old bikes, grab it. The previous owner will probably be delighted to see it go to a good home, and they are nicely engineered little machines, with the qualities which made BSA world leaders in their day
Old 18-01-2008, 06:40 PM
Club Member

Great replies but what I would really like to know is, what would one value it at??

Dave Cox

P.S

I would like to post a picture but I can't get it to bloddy work!!!

Help Baza

1550 03 55k + Road King
Old 18-01-2008, 07:07 PM
Non Member

David just a sugestion,, would it not be worth giving the Beauleigh motor museum or cannot remember the name but the one in the New Forest that just does motorbikes,, I think it is Millers.. I am sure these guy`s know the value of these old steeds. I am sure in my youth I used to say like youn`un`s do " bet that cost a bit mister" and always got an answer, worth a try..
Old 18-01-2008, 08:58 PM
Club Member

Bin ferreting through me old copies of "The Star", the BSA owners club monthly magazine, lookin out for C10's in the classified section.
Good original examples £800-£1200.
Your rarer, therefore more sought after, pre-war model I'd say £1500-£1800.
Although I could be miles out !!
Old 18-01-2008, 09:17 PM
Club Member

Millers price guide in 1999 stated for a 1945 model rigid,girder with speedo near headlamp £800 -£1400

A 1934 B1 250 ,s/v , hand gearchange £1600 - £1900 (1999 prices)

Wouldn't think they would have gone down in price.

Good luck

Chill
Old 18-01-2008, 09:44 PM
45Brit

£1500 plus for a C10 of any shape and type is too much. The B1 would make a good deal more because of age and rarity

I'm not sayin that individual bikes don't make top money, sometimes for no visible reason, but you should be patient rather than pay top whack for a C10
Old 19-01-2008, 01:31 AM
Club Member

Well thanks for all the replies very interesting, I do like asking interesting questions!!

Thanks for the PM 45brit

The old guy wants about £1200 for it and somehow I thought it should be worth more than that, the registration number would be worth at least £500 or so if it could be transferred I suppose, isnít there a problem taking number plates off old bikes??

If anyone is interested let me know, Iíll see what I can do.

Dave Cox

1550 03 55k + Road King
Old 19-01-2008, 06:56 AM
45Brit

£1200 is an upper-range price for a good bike, but it's not silly. Genuinely original machines will always command a premium which is difficult to assess. The days of little old blokes with cheap BSAs in sheds are long gone, I'm afraid. Ebay killed off the last of that, and dwindling supply was doing it already by the early 90s

You have to remember that a C10 is little real use for anything.. it does about 35mph happily, top whack is about 45mph. Fuel consumption is also quite heavy, for what it is. Electrics are 6v and you can't do much about that, either, so it has lights like a candle in a beer bottle.

that's why I said somewhere else, that the 45 is the ultimate development of the vintage-style sidevalve. BSA, Norton etc stopped developing their sidevalves around 1930, and it shows. The Big Twin H-D sidevalves were eclipsed by the Knucklehead and its successors, and suffered from too-close associatio with the 45 anyway, and that shows a bit as well. The 45 benefitted from ongoing development into the 1950s

there may be a problem with the number, if he doesn;t have a V5 for it. If there is no V5 it may well not be on the computer and you will need to get it re-issued. This isn't hugely difficult for a bike like that, but once re-issued, it can't be transferred. Same goes for age-related numbers.

Last edited by 45Brit; 19-01-2008 at 07:08 AM.