Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The Advantages of Synthetic Oils over Mineral oils

Total Downloaded
    1.26 MB

Re: The Advantages of Synthetic Oils over Mineral oils

Quote Originally Posted by mightytharg View Post
    and my local dealer still insists there's no benefit to Synthetic.....

I'll be switching at next oil change regardless.
    Mine does as well (Guildford HD) - which is strange as the synthetic oil is more expensive so you'd think they would want to sell that instead.

Join the Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by adm View Post
    Mine does as well (Guildford HD) - which is strange as the synthetic oil is more expensive so you'd think they would want to sell that instead.

Synthetics or ester based semi synthetics ie Mobil 1 or silkolene comp 4, cling to metal bits better after engine stops running. Mineral oil runs off in comparison. After a few days of rain, the sun comes out and you start your bike. Which do you think may be better for your engine? They made synthetics as a technological advance to minimise engine wear in the same way rubber compounds have been developed for better tyre grip/ wear. Harley do not make oil as Mobil etc does, but they do make a nice earner on their branded cheap mineral oil. Your bike, your choice.

Total Downloaded
    46.79 MB

Evening Spicy,

Great thread, been running synth in the Evo for years. Originally Mobil but now Red Line.

Plus side, longer between changes, no oil pressure drop off even in hi-temps, lower running temps.

Minus side, expensive initially, but no real difference once you take into account the extended servicing periods.

Decided on using synth after speaking to a Canadian with a similar age Evo to mine who had been on synth for years and had 250,000Km on his bike.

Total Downloaded
    270.4 KB

Yup, another vote for Redline in the engine and trans. I also use oil filters that use Donaldson Synteq XP filtering media because it combines some of the best 5 micron absolute efficiency oil filtration with the lowest pressure differentials of any filter media, so the oil flows better and cleaner. Oil pressure is instant on starting my 28 year old Sportster.
    Last edited by Four Speed; 03-04-2016 at 10:44 PM.

Total Downloaded

As OP intimated, plenty of evidence when you turn it over what clings to metal moving parts?
    I was once told: it doesn't matter how good your ride is, only two things touch the road.
    I apply that same logic to the oil, IMO get the best, hang the expense.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234