Thread: The Advantages of Synthetic Oils over Mineral oils

Total Downloaded
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: The Advantages of Synthetic Oils over Mineral oils

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cross View Post
    Surely a synthetic 20/50 is as thick as a 20/50 mineral. The difference being the synthetic does not break down due to heat so easily.
    yes thats true Tony, it also last's longer than mineral oil and it has been proven that the engine will run cooler.

Join the Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

Total Downloaded
    201.61 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T140V View Post
    It isnt suitable for a lot of older and not so old aircooled engines. You'll find a very high oil consumption if its unsuitable.
    I take it by unsuitable you mean because air cooled have more "hot spots", if so it's much more suitable than mineral as it's much better against heat degradation and fractions evaporating out.

Also the "high oil consumption" theory was disproved years ago. I have never added oil in between changes apart from when exhaust valve stem oil seals in Ford CVH engines failed (and as they could be replaced in about 40 minutes it was no problem) since using totally synthetic oil 27 years ago.
    Urrell , Rep Region 23

T140V Guest

If your engine is suitable for synthetic oil you wont better it. But a lot of older aircooled engines have larger tolerances on the bores in particular compared to modern engines. Does have very high oil consumption in most old british bikes for example. Tried it in an aircooled trailbike XR600R in the desert and it drank loads , standard 20/50 didnt use any at all. Still sticking to the normal oil in the sportster for the time being and regular changes !

Total Downloaded
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T140V View Post
    If your engine is suitable for synthetic oil you wont better it. But a lot of older aircooled engines have larger tolerances on the bores in particular compared to modern engines. Does have very high oil consumption in most old british bikes for example. Tried it in an aircooled trailbike XR600R in the desert and it drank loads , standard 20/50 didnt use any at all. Still sticking to the normal oil in the sportster for the time being and regular changes !

Just to clarify this was the synthetic also 20/50 ?

Chugga 1340 Guest

I might be going mad but I seem to remember in Citroen 2cv engines we were told by a club technician that we had to change oil seals if we wanted to use synthetic oil something to do with swelling seals (Maybe I am imagining it)
    Last edited by Chugga 1340; 15-08-2013 at 06:04 PM. Reason: typo

Total Downloaded
    97.67 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chugga 1340 View Post
    I might be going mad but I seem to remember in Citroen 2cv engines we were told by a club technician that we had to change oil seals if we wanted to use synthetic oil something to do with swelling seals (Maybe I am imagining it)
    That was probably the case years ago, but sealing technology has moved on a lot in the last few years. Seals nowadays are made from Nitrile, which withstands almost anything or Viton which also withstands anything and is also suitable for high temperatures.

With new seals, you can put in whatever you like, unless it came from an old gasket set from years ago.

Getting back to synthetic oils, I run my TC on it, but waited to get 5,000 miles on it first. I wanted shit dinosaur oil in it to let things bed in. I want my bearings to turn...not skid.

Brian.
    100 Anniversary Road King Classic.

Anglia Region 15 member.

My old man always said if it has tits or tyres...it'll be trouble...and he was right.

Chugga 1340 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
    That was probably the case years ago, but sealing technology has moved on a lot in the last few years. Seals nowadays are made from Nitrile, which withstands almost anything or Viton which also withstands anything and is also suitable for high temperatures.

With new seals, you can put in whatever you like, unless it came from an old gasket set from years ago.

Getting back to synthetic oils, I run my TC on it, but waited to get 5,000 miles on it first. I wanted shit dinosaur oil in it to let things bed in. I want my bearings to turn...not skid.

Brian.
    Cheers Brian you jogged the old grey matter, I think it was Viton seals that were recommended.But next question...........Anyone know when they changed to Viton etc in Harley engines and has a 1996 engine got these seals, In other words can I use it in my Evo as it is a "few years old" and with my luck I just don't want to end up with a leaky lump.Sorry if this pisses anyone off (signed by Frightened from Suffolk)

Total Downloaded
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My 1989 Evo has lived very happily on semi and full synthetic for most of it's 80,000 miles.

Chugga 1340 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cross View Post
    My 1989 Evo has lived very happily on semi and full synthetic for most of it's 80,000 miles.
    Thanks Tony,Just put my mind at rest.(signed not so frightened from Suffolk)

JohnVining Guest

Excellent information.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast