Thread: Fuel Stabilizer

Total Downloaded
    123.46 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Fuel Stabilizer

At 128 oz per US gallon thats 512/1 if my maths is correct.

So one litre will dose over 100 UK gallons.

That should last me a while.

Join the Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

Total Downloaded
    1,018.7 KB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bought a small bottle of fuel stabiliser from my local H-D dealer - treats 10 gallons (approx 2 tankfulls) and keeps fuel fresh for up to 12 months. £7 a bottle and worth the money in my opinion for peace of mind and easy starting and trouble free running.

Total Downloaded
    21.02 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can buy a small 500ml bottle of isopropyl alcohol from your chemist, tho they may have to order it for you. In the past, I have used it to thin down epoxy glue, when working in the Balsa Dust Factory, making aeroplanes. At a pinch, a drop of meths works on the glue.

Assault'n'Battery Guest

if you do go for isopropyl/isopropanol for anything - it's useful just to have for cleaning - avoid the denatured stuff aka rubbing alcohol (they make it undrinkable for alkies!).

90% of the minimum wage morons working in chemists these days will not know the word, never mind the difference (and possibly not even English).

Yes, like acetone, isopropanol can be used as a fuel additive and is safer/less volatile to handle.

Best not to waste time and just buy online. I find a) most chemists don't stock the real stuff, and b) treat anyone asking for any non-prescription stuff as a hassle or even with suspicion.

Total Downloaded
    123.46 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mr. pitts View Post
    You can buy a small 500ml bottle of isopropyl alcohol from your chemist, tho they may have to order it for you.
    Just orfered a litre for under a fiver from ebay. I recon a shotglass full will do a full tank.

Total Downloaded
    1,018.7 KB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Approx 2 fluid Oz's (60 ml) will treat 5 US gallons. Note; a US gallon is slightly less than ours - in metric a US gallon = 3.7 Litres where as ours = 4.5 Litres.

sportsterchop Guest

Will get some in as need to fill my tank up,

Total Downloaded
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rick et al,

Have a look at this website.

Fuel Cat - Improving fuel efficiency - The Ultimate Fuel Solution. Stops Stale Fuel, Lower Emissions

Bought one of these little beauties probably 5 plus years ago and its still in use in my 1982 Katana.

I don't believe the cost has changed in that time as it is still available for £29.95 for engines up to 1250 cc and for £34.95 it will be sufficient for engines up to 3 litre.

I went for the in tank scenario as I couldn't be bothered plumbing it in. Just throw it in its that simple.

Haven't got around to putting it in the FXDF yet as I have had no problems with it.

Part of the reason I bought it for the Kat was the petrol was going off in the float bowl and becoming a problem to start. Don't have that problem any more at all, just duff batteries......but that's another story.

One thing that I would say is that cheaper products are on the market which claim to be produced from the same material, however they are more like stamped out sweets in shape rather than the intricate casting which you get with this product. Therefore you do not have the same surface area which interacts with the fuel in your tank and (in my mind) will not be as effective.

This product is good for if I remember correctly up to 100,000 miles so the cost over the life of your engine is negligable.

Hope this helps

Foxster Guest

Fuel Cat = Snake Oil.

They were investigated by the RAC and found to do nothing at all. The Office of Fair Trading was involved and they got the makers to pull all their adverts after they were unable to prove any of the benefits claimed.

Total Downloaded
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This may well be true, however I know that my bike which I has owned maintained and rebuilt since 1989 starts easier now with a Cat fitted.

This is more important to me now more than ever because unfortunately I do not have the time to ride it as often as I would like.

So unless it is because of the higher quantities of ethanol in the fuel now, I suspect that my Fuel Cat is doing something to the chemical makeup of the fuel in my tank and float bowls, which enables an easier start.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast