Total Downloaded
    334.6 KB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Sidecars no longer insured!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul P. View Post
    In the early sixties (I think) there was a big controversy in the motorcycle world over the "Cronin Bill", which was a politician getting pillion insurance made compulsory for motorcycles. Loads of single seat bike owners were up in arms - guess who won, the bike owners or the government.
    You're correct-ish. In 1961, The Motor Vehicles (Passenger Insurance) Bill was a Private Member’s Bill proposed by the MP for Loughborough, John Cronin, who subsequently withdrew it as he acknowledged that it would place “a very heavy burden on the insurers of motor cars, motor cycles and motor scooters in the lower income groups.” It was proposed that it would apply to cars and motorcycles, so it wasn't specifically anti-motorcyclist, and it was withdrawn anyway.

Join the Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

stevel Guest

From Carole Nash Insurance:
    Your motorcycle insurance policy will also dictate whether you can be accompanied on your bike. Many bike insurance policies consider pillion passenger cover as an optional extra, so consult your insurance documents or contact your insurer before you start the engine to check that you are covered. Remember, it is illegal to take to the road without sufficient insurance cover.
    From MCN:
    One of the biggest motorbike insurance underwriters has decided to refuse cover for a range of bike models unless the rider agrees not to carry passengers.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/insura...cycle-insurer/
    Last edited by stevel; 27-05-2015 at 07:50 PM.

Total Downloaded
    17.25 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am sure this did go through later on maybe not as late as I thought, but I do remember the passenger liability law being brought in.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12