Thread: Importing stuff from usa

Total Downloaded
    231.74 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Importing stuff from usa

My previous experience via ebay was hassle free but the latest two items appear to be held by customs at uk border force. Anyone know how long these jobsworths take and does it mean i will be getting an extra bill?

Join the Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

Total Downloaded
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Importing stuff from usa

i had some stuffs from Jersey held for 2 weeks before it arrived even though there was nothing to pay. Last stuffs i got from the US of A came from ebay and the seller sorted the tax out through there shipping agent. No hold ups.
    OMG it started !!!!!

Total Downloaded
    556.71 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last items I bought from USA took about a week to clear customs, but an e-mail arrived from them to settle import duty before they would be released.
    Darren Thomas
    Member No:010141

Total Downloaded
    123.46 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Usually takes less than a week. They may have requested additional information about the contents from the suppler, or just want to check the paperwork matches the goods. It will not cost you any more. It happens fro time to time.

Total Downloaded
    57.56 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

had something purchased on Friday 5th Feb, arrived in Heathrow Monday 8th.
    The site updated the status to say is was HM Customs and stayed that way until Friday 12th Feb where it said it couldn't be sent out as there was fees to pay.
    There was no customs tax or excise tax to pay, just VAT on the item and the shipping. £24 on an item that cost £48 plus shipping grrr why should I pay VAT on shipping?

Total Downloaded
    556.71 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Copied off a web site:

In general, import duty is a tax that the importer has to pay to bring foreign goods into his or her country. Import VAT (Value Added Tax) is a tax charged on imported goods and services.

Duty and VAT are calculated as a percentage of the value of the imported goods, consisting of the product value and the freight & insurance costs.

For importing into the UK, duty and VAT are normally due when a minimum value threshold of £15 is reached. Duty is not paid on consignments shipped within the EU.

Import duty rates vary depending on the type of goods; many goods are duty free. Relief from duty and VAT may apply in special cases. Also, in some cases additional duties may be charged, depending of the country of manufacture of the goods

1. Overview

Anything posted or couriered to you goes through customs to check it isn’tbanned or restricted and you pay the right tax and ‘duty’ (customs charges) on it.
    This includes anything new or used that you:

• buy online
    • buy abroad and send back to the UK
    • receive as a gift

Your responsibilities

You may have to pay VAT, Customs Duty or Excise Duty on goods sent from outside the European Union (EU) before you can collect them.
    You don’t pay VAT or Customs Duty when your things are sent back to you – they must be described as ‘personal belongings’ on the customs declaration.

You must also check that the sender:

2. Tax and duty

You’ll be contacted by Royal Mail, Parcelforce or the courier company explaining how to pay any VAT, duty and fees for dealing with customs.
    They’ll normally hold your parcel for about 3 weeks. If you haven’t paid the fee by then, it’ll be sent back.
    VAT

You pay VAT on goods sent from non-European Union (EU) countries and EUspecial territories (eg the Canary Islands) if they’re:

• gifts worth more than £34
    • other goods worth more than £15
    • alcohol, tobacco products and fragrances (eg perfume, eau de toilette and cologne) of any value

You have to pay VAT on all goods sent by mail order from the Channel Islands no matter what their value.

You’ll be charged at the VAT rate that applies to your goods. VAT is charged on the total value, including:

• the price paid for the goods
    • postage, packaging and insurance
    • any duty you owe
    Darren Thomas
    Member No:010141

Total Downloaded
    49.01 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mac1 View Post
    does it mean i will be getting an extra bill?
    If you ordered through the Global Shipping Programme then you won't get any nasty surprise bills as the shipping and import charges are shown on the listing ....

Total Downloaded
    231.74 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thats what i did and thought Alex. So far there is 6 entries on the usps logistics site for customs alone from 9th till today. Me thinks the are have a game of pass the parcel...farce!

Total Downloaded
    123.46 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dont get too obsessed with tracking data. Half of it is autogenerated cobblers.

Total Downloaded
    231.74 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For the record I got charged vat on both items and an ?8 handling fee for each item for Parcelforce.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast