Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The XL883R to XL88R project

Total Downloaded
    102.10 MB

Re: The XL883R to XL88R project

Getting it running

With everything done it was time to have a play with the Power Vision. I had only flashed the ECU with it a couple of times prior to now, but had spent several winter evenings going through the software, reading up about how it works and what it can do, editing maps and trying things out. I felt pretty confident that all would be good. I had also been in touch with the Australian owner of a 90" build who had authored one of the leading articles on XLF. She was able to go through the initial issues she had had so I was able to avoid them. Thank you Trace.

Hammer Performance are recognised experts when it comes to performance sportsters. They are probably the leaders in this field. Aaron provided a base map for me to use. It came with the correct timing for the build. He then gave me the single most important guide to starting off. "Think of the displacement setting as the main jet. Its a giant knob on the airflow model and the airflow model is used directly to calculate how much fuel to inject. Moving the displacement up or down is going to make the motor run richer or leaner respectively".

Trace had used the same timing map in her 90" build and her displacement setting was at 115. I had an 88" build so it made sense to start around 112. I flashed the ECU and fired it up

It ran nicely for 5 seconds and then died. I could smell fuel so reduced the figure to 110 and tried again. It ran for three second and died. A worse result then the first time - go in the opposite direction. Up to 118, flash the ECU, start the bike and around 10 seconds before it was a bit lumpy. Up to 120 and it was cooking on gas. Happy days. Once up to temperature, I ran the autotune with the stock sensors and the readings settled on 122 for the displacement. How that works compared to a 90" build running happily at 115 seems odd. It just goes to show that just because a tune works on one bike, it isn't going to be perfect for another and you do need to do a bit of playing to get up and running sometimes.

Finally it was time for a little ride on the bike for a shakedown. As you can see, its a bit dull and boring. I'm rather pleased it is. It doesn't get any attention whatsoever. In fact it gets over looked everywhere. It isn't any louder than a stock one with a stage one tune and given some of the exhaust systems that are popular, it is a hell of lot quieter than most. Once it is going though, there really is no comparison.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	150.2 KB 
ID:	29369

The nice thing for me is that I think I've finally built a sleeper that really doesn't look anything like how it goes.
    Last edited by Simon; 16-08-2017 at 09:10 AM.

Join the Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

Total Downloaded
    102.10 MB

Luggage

At the beginning of this thread I said I wanted to build a bike that would cart my lardy arse and my luggage around Europe. As with most of you, I've tried different sets of luggage over the years. They have done the job but after years of touring, I knew I wanted to go for hard luggage that was lockable, waterproof, able to withstand knocks, not cost the earth, easily removable, easy to manhandle off the bike and could be used in any configuration depending on what I am doing at the time or the trip I am under taking.

I looked at loads of different setups at rallies and trawled various website and forums. In the end I decided to go with a setup that has been used by a few people on the XLForum. This design is not my own, but there is one slight difference in the way I've done it. Both ScrewLooseDan and SportyTrace on the XLForum have gone down this route but they have the top box running length ways.

Pelican cases. They met all the criteria I was looking for and when I looked at the cost, I was pleasantly surprised when I compared it to other solutions. I see they have gone up in price now, but by registering on their website and calling them, I got a reasonable discount.

For the top box, I used the 1560 Protector case.
    For the panniers I used 2 off 1430 Protector cases.

To mount them, I used EasyBrackets for the panniers and an HD Tourpak rack found on eBay with some box section aluminium for the top box. For locking I bought a set of four padlocks with matching keys.

I made the box section to fit into some troughs on the bottom of the pelican case. The prevents any forward/backwards/sideways movement. The box section bolts onto the quick detachable Tourpak rack.

Name:	rackUnderRear.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	86.7 KB 
ID:	29370

Name:	rackUnderSide1.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	99.8 KB 
ID:	29371

Name:	pelRackRear.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	71.8 KB 
ID:	29372

Name:	pelRackFront.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	65.5 KB 
ID:	29373

I am pleased to report, the boxes do exactly what I wanted them to do. They got a thorough testing on their first trip through Normandy to Bruges. It pissed down every day but the boxes didn’t leak a single drop of water. Also, being an old git with a wonky back, I really appreciated the wheels on the 1560. I had plenty of room using all three boxes. I can use one or two of the panniers at a time. I can use the top box as part of the set or in isolation. The boxes can attached or removed from the bike in seconds once unlocked from their mounts.

Name:	wet1.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	71.3 KB 
ID:	29374

Name:	wet.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	70.2 KB 
ID:	29375

Total Downloaded
    102.10 MB

Must get around to updating this some time.

There have been a few changes over time but it is still a complete brute. The most noticable changes are the tank is now a 4.5 gallon abomination covered in £8 worth of stickers because I didn't like the colour and because I don't give shit what it looks like. The other major change was moving away from the Supertrapp exhaust to a D&D Bobcat. Somewhere along the way the bike picked up some fog lights that are ridiculously bright.

I have done a few short trips over the last year but to be honest, I've struggled since my triple bypass operation. I'm ok in myself but the physical demand, not to mention the swelling legs, has been difficult. I'll see how this coming year goes but having purchased a VW California, I'm not sure I'll be getting much riding done. Lets see how it is after it gets an MOT.

I cant add a picture like I used to, presumably because my membership has expired. Cant say I'm happy about that restriction given my thoughts on freedom of information and previous deletion of threads on here.
    Last edited by Simon; 13-03-2019 at 03:25 PM.

Total Downloaded
    20.38 MB

Good to see you posting Simon, always interesting stuff.
    Time is precious, waste it wisely.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234