Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 34

Thread: 40 Year MOT Exempt Status Announced

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    488
    Total Downloaded
    320.70 MB

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    2,007
    Total Downloaded
    93.80 MB

    Re: 40 Year MOT Exempt Status Announced

    Wow that's interesting 3 bikes not requiring a test from next May. How will that affect your income Fuz?
    Sussex Coaster

    Join the Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    488
    Total Downloaded
    320.70 MB

    Re: 40 Year MOT Exempt Status Announced

    Not that much Simon.
    Most is pretty newish stuff.

    Join the Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,405
    Total Downloaded
    334.6 KB

    40 Year MOT Exempt Status Announced

    Three of mine are 40 and over. I appreciate a fresh pair of eyes giving them the once over however won't miss the will it won't it pass feeling.
    Mixed feelings on this one.
    Thanks Fuz.

    Join the Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,723
    Total Downloaded
    50.93 MB

    Re: 40 Year MOT Exempt Status Announced

    Result!! i have 3 bikes already over 40 years old

    Join the Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,887
    Total Downloaded
    29.27 MB

    Re: 40 Year MOT Exempt Status Announced

    Cheers Fuz, just talking about this with friends on Tuesday night!

    Join the Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    10,347
    Total Downloaded
    40.75 MB

    Re: 40 Year MOT Exempt Status Announced

    Like Chaz I have mixed feelings on this. I was involved in the consultation for the existing pre-1960 cutoff a few years ago; the options on the table then were pre-1919, pre-1945 and pre-1960. I opted for 1945 and set out my reasoning as being, that virtually all vehicles from that point onwards are basically the same as today in the matter of controls and layout and therefore were testable with one set of skills; however there are virtually no vehicles dating from before 1945 which are still in daily use.

    Pre-1960 though is a different matter altogether; whilst I concede that most are classic vehicles which only come out for special occasions, you're starting to venture into scenarios whereby stuff like old Land-Rovers, originally built in the 1950's but so modified that they're unrecognisable from the original but still legally a pre-1960 vehicle. Under the new legislation this fast-forwards to 1978 and it becomes obvious that this can be open to abuse; not only is there the potential to save over £200 on RFL but now another £40 on MOT plus the cost of getting a vehicle through it. I accept that the onus is still on the user to keep the vehicle roadworthy but give people a chance to save money and they'll do it.

    I do accept that bikers tend, for fairly obvious reasons, to look after their machines more carefully than drivers do their cars, but then again we're also more likely to be the victins of other peoples' badly-maintained vehicles; for this legislation to work properly, DVSA (previously known as VOSA) will need to up their game, start spot checking more than HGV's and by doing so raise the standards of vehicle safety for ALL of us. I'd be interested to hear from our own tame "man from the Ministry" as to whether this is likely to happen.
    Much less involved.....

    Join the Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    3,233
    Total Downloaded
    123.46 MB

    Re: 40 Year MOT Exempt Status Announced

    Quote Originally Posted by kevscrivener View Post
    you're starting to venture into scenarios whereby stuff like old Land-Rovers, originally built in the 1950's but so modified that they're unrecognisable from the original but still legally a pre-1960 vehicle. .
    This is already covered under modified vehicles. It could affect custom bikes that are being ridden on old V5s but with modern frame and engine....

    https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...e-guidance.pdf

    Join the Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    112
    Total Downloaded
    0

    Re: 40 Year MOT Exempt Status Announced

    Disagree with this concession. A person was recently charged when causing death by riding a pushbike with no front brake and hitting a pedestrian at about 18 mph. Motorcycles are still potential killing machines if not maintained to their design however crude. Each bike should to be tested at least to its manufacturing standard.

    Hopefully this wont filter to vintage aircraft.
    Last edited by Beagler; 15-09-2017 at 11:35 AM.

    Join the Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    1,311
    Total Downloaded
    24.94 MB

    Re: 40 Year MOT Exempt Status Announced

    Quote Originally Posted by kevscrivener View Post
    Like Chaz I have mixed feelings on this. I was involved in the consultation for the existing pre-1960 cutoff a few years ago; the options on the table then were pre-1919, pre-1945 and pre-1960. I opted for 1945 and set out my reasoning as being, that virtually all vehicles from that point onwards are basically the same as today in the matter of controls and layout and therefore were testable with one set of skills; however there are virtually no vehicles dating from before 1945 which are still in daily use.

    Pre-1960 though is a different matter altogether; whilst I concede that most are classic vehicles which only come out for special occasions, you're starting to venture into scenarios whereby stuff like old Land-Rovers, originally built in the 1950's but so modified that they're unrecognisable from the original but still legally a pre-1960 vehicle. Under the new legislation this fast-forwards to 1978 and it becomes obvious that this can be open to abuse; not only is there the potential to save over £200 on RFL but now another £40 on MOT plus the cost of getting a vehicle through it. I accept that the onus is still on the user to keep the vehicle roadworthy but give people a chance to save money and they'll do it.

    I do accept that bikers tend, for fairly obvious reasons, to look after their machines more carefully than drivers do their cars, but then again we're also more likely to be the victins of other peoples' badly-maintained vehicles; for this legislation to work properly, DVSA (previously known as VOSA) will need to up their game, start spot checking more than HGV's and by doing so raise the standards of vehicle safety for ALL of us. I'd be interested to hear from our own tame "man from the Ministry" as to whether this is likely to happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beagler View Post
    Disagree with this concession. A person was recently charged when causing death by riding a pushbike with no front brake and hitting a pedestrian at about 18 mph. Motorcycles are still potential killing machines if not maintained to their design however crude. Each bike should to be tested at least to its manufacturing standard.

    Hopefully this wont filter to vintage aircraft.
    Pretty much agree with these comments, all you have to do is speak with MOT testers - they see some real problems with badly maintained bikes.

    This likely doesnt include most real classic bike enthusiasts though.

    Join the Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •