Total Downloaded
    123.46 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: 40 Year MOT Exempt Status Announced

Quote Originally Posted by Paul P. View Post
    Though I don't consider myself the paranoid type (unlike those bastards who keep following me) I do think there are plenty of people in positions of authority or responsibility (judges/politicians/bureaucrats) who let their disapproval of motorcycles influence decisions they have to take which effect us.

(..and they also come into my house and hide my stuff..)
    I am not quite so paranoid. I can see the distinction between authentic vehicles that are being preserved or historic value and those that have been hacked to bits to make a custom vehicle. Up to now the radically modified vehicle classification has been around a while and a substantial number of bikes on the road would already fall fowl of this with VIN numbers transferred onto custom frames, Old V5 documents being used on modern customs etc. So far this has not been aggressively enforced. Also bikes that would blatantly fail a road side inspection being ridden with complete impunity... long may that continue, for now at least!

The MOT thing is a bit weird right from the outset but having gone this far it seems they are trying to get the age related issues and vehicle modification standards into some kind of order.

90% of riders it probably won't make that much difference but those with slightly "dodgy" paperwork may start to feel a bit exposed. Its already causing major ripples in the custom car community.

Its not too difficult to weed out the ones at risk. Modifications have to be declared on insurance forms and electronic V5 documents have been around for decades so any recorded modifications to bikes will have an electronic paper trail of some sorts.

The libertarian element of motorcycling is finally coming to an end though.
    Last edited by Gizmo; 20-12-2017 at 11:22 AM.

Join the Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

Total Downloaded
    11.81 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'll happily take that all onboard, I acknowledge there are plenty of piss takers (bit like those with number plates the size of fag packets who have caused some of the tightening of plate sizes which ends up including those of us with a half inch here or there shorter) but I am thinking of such examples as when the European Court of Human Rights upheld the right to commit suicide but agreed bikers should be made to wear lids for their own good..!!??

(many years ago I was involved with AMADL - "the Association of Motorcyclists Against Discriminatory Legislation", later called Bike Free - which sought to fight unfair laws with facts. At that time the motorcycle accident rate was calculated on an average annual mileage of 2,300 which must have been lifted from some group of VMCC owners of pre-WW1 bikes. Cars were calculated at I think I recall nearly 10,000. After our campaign they altered it to 3,200, if you wonder did someone just switch the digits well all our interactions with them made us conclude it could be that simple and arbitary. Our huge petition campaign over a broad spectrum of riders was showing 8,000 which would have radically changed the m/c accident rate.)

Total Downloaded
    38.76 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
    The libertarian element of motorcycling is finally coming to an end though.
    Perhaps; but it has to be said that certain sections of our community have contributed to its downfall. Put simply the burgeoning trade in old V5's is fraud. We shouldn't really be surprised or pissed off that the powers that be are clamping down on it.
    Much less involved.....

Total Downloaded
    230.04 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kevscrivener View Post
    Perhaps; but it has to be said that certain sections of our community have contributed to its downfall. Put simply the burgeoning trade in old V5's is fraud. We shouldn't really be surprised or pissed off that the powers that be are clamping down on it.
    Not really related but when I started looking around at trikes I was amazed at the number of 'home builds' that had Reliant Robin V5's just because it had a reliant back axle and some others that had been further modified with V8 and different axle still on a Reliant V5

Total Downloaded
    123.46 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TomG View Post
    Not really related but when I started looking around at trikes I was amazed at the number of 'home builds' that had Reliant Robin V5's just because it had a reliant back axle and some others that had been further modified with V8 and different axle still on a Reliant V5
    My favorite site for checking V5 details and MOT history. It can throw up some hilarious results for highly modified bikes.

https://cartaxcheck.co.uk

Total Downloaded
    10.73 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fuz View Post
    Hi Kev

all the best for the new year
    just tried to tax my old triumph registered 1972 without an mot
    an got knocked back by DVLA
    is the 40 year rule in place or are they still talking about it.

David Kiberd

Total Downloaded
    669.1 KB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Proposed to start 20th may 2018, it' on the first page, next year you will be fine.

Total Downloaded
    10.73 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MOT exemption

According to DVLA it doesn't come in until May 2018

Total Downloaded
    17.30 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MOT exemption

from what I have heard this is correct
    Region 15 Anglia assistant rep

2011 street glide

if I don't remember it it didn't happen

Total Downloaded
    38.76 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

As I understand it Dave the vehicle has to have its taxation class changed to "Historic vehicle"; if yours was registered in 1972 and says so on the log book then you qualify for the tax exemption; but as said above the MOT exemption (currently set at 1960) does not come into play until May 2018.

Why DVLA did not set it at 1 January 2018 is beyond me, since it would have made the logistics a lot simpler and reduced the risk of a log jam in the system in a few months time.
    Much less involved.....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast