Thread: Paul Morgan Knight's Sporster stolen

Total Downloaded
    201.61 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Paul Morgan Knight's Sporster stolen

Pauls Sportster was stolen from the car park at the Hallmark Inn Derby last night.
    Alan the Alien also had his bags broken into and sat-nav, helmet etc stolen.
    Name:  Pauls Sportster.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  132.3 KB
    Urrell , Rep Region 23

Join the Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

Total Downloaded
    256.94 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: Paul Morgan Knight's Sporster stolen

That's a shit. Low life scumbags

Total Downloaded
    507.05 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Although I hope the missing bike and bits are recovered, I don't have a lot of confidence in the eagerness of the Police to investigate.
    Was Hogjob, now Oddjob same $h*t different name.

2015 Street Glide Special FLHXS "Ginger Marmaglide"
    1990 Electraglide FLHTC
    1975 SX250

They say its a fine line between Genius and Madness. I have replaced the line with a banana

Club Membership Secretary.

Join the H-DRCGB CLICK HERE

Total Downloaded
    21.83 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bastards, too much of this going on. Hers's hoping for a happy outcome for them both.
    Time is precious, waste it wisely.

Total Downloaded
    210.2 KB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by M&M View Post
    Bastards, too much of this going on. Hers's hoping for a happy outcome for them both.
    And a thoroughly painful outcome for those responsible !
    Hodgie.

Total Downloaded
    10.24 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

very sad ,,,,, i think now any meeting security has to be thought of as i would now be very weary of turning up to a meeting were i have to leave my bike unattended .

hope your bike is found the word needs to be passed on to any patch MC in that area ,,,, they might help

john
    (old iron ass)

BMW R80GS winter hack
    1978 FLH80 SHOVELHEAD
    1950 EL hydra glide PANHEAD

Total Downloaded
    40.66 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by devon.john View Post
    very sad ,,,,, i think now any meeting security has to be thought of as i would now be very weary of turning up to a meeting were i have to leave my bike unattended .

hope your bike is found the word needs to be passed on to any patch MC in that area ,,,, they might help

john
    It has been passed to "sympathetic ears"; I don't wish to elaborate further.

As to the security; I'm sorry if this upsets some of you but I have to say we've been lucky not to have been hit before. We've turned up at the same hotel on pretty much the same weekend for quite a few years, the members go around Derby to eat and drink, post their departures and the reason for going (as well as their antics whilst there) on Facebook, and whilst they're great ambassadors for the Club it also informs a lot of people that there's a load of Harley riders in town. With great respect to the moderators of Facebook pages (I'm one myself but nowt to do with HDRCGB) you cannot possibly ensure that there isn't one person who joins your group who isn't a bad apple. Or for that matter that all the nice folk you talked to in Derby were simply interested in the fact that you were enjoying the culture of the place.

I feel for Paul having suffered the theft of a bike myself back in the 80's, and also for Alan of course; but perhaps we've overstayed our welcome in Derby, and it's time to find a new venue and be prepared to move around regularly in future. This should not be an extra burden on the RLO, there's enough Reps and Assistant Reps to share the load where research is concerned. Also as John rightly says,we need to be a little more circumspect in future. It's no use blaming the hotel, nicking most bikes takes only seconds and you can't expect even the most vigilant of night porters to react to every shadow, especially in a busy city centre on a Saturday night.

It's perhaps worth pointing out that for all its shortfalls, our previous regular venue in the wilds of Shropshire was not the most likely place to suffer an opportunist bike theft; which I'm willing to bet this was as Alan's lid was nicked as well as Paul's bike.

Lesson learned, I hope; such a pity there had to be two victims neither of whom deserves the hassle and loss.
    Much less involved.....

Total Downloaded
    42.57 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

During the meeting before the thefts had happened we had already voted to move the meeting to another venue. This was down to the poor communication with Stef (RLO) and double booking of facilities / rooms etc. The theft from the carpark was the final nail in the coffin for the Hallmark Inn.

It would be great to see Paul's bike recovered but it didn't seam like the police were going to put a lot of effort into finding it.

Total Downloaded
    1.74 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sincere commiserations to Paul. As someone who's had 2 bikes stolen, I know what a gut-wrenching experience this is. FWIW I agree with everything Kev said. There's no need to become paranoid about 'hiding' our meeting away from the general public, but a change of venue for next year's meet would be a sensible precaution IMO.

Total Downloaded
    40.66 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maff View Post
    During the meeting before the thefts had happened we had already voted to move the meeting to another venue. This was down to the poor communication with Stef (RLO) and double booking of facilities / rooms etc. The theft from the carpark was the final nail in the coffin for the Hallmark Inn.

It would be great to see Paul's bike recovered but it didn't seam like the police were going to put a lot of effort into finding it.
    That (the comms) has happened before as previous RLO's will testify. My point is that we need to pre-empt this sort of thing happening, though I totally agree with Ming that there is no need for us to become paranoid; though it should be noted , without prejudice to the region concerned, that the only previous documented case of genuine bike theft at one of our events happened within the same territory. My words are carefully chosen and it should be noted by those who aren't aware that I used to live in Derby.

As for the police; well they wouldn't, would they? It's a Harley to us, it's just another stolen vehicle to them and they have neither the resources nor inclination to do anything more than wait for it to appear on one of their cameras. The only way it'd ever get pulled is if the thief were rash enough to ride it without a cloned plate and even then probably only if that plate was too small. I apologise if that comes across as cynical, but it's based on experience.
    Last edited by kevscrivener; 23-10-2017 at 12:12 PM.
    Much less involved.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast