Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Harsh ride

Total Downloaded
    11.14 MB

Total Downloaded
    70.59 MB

Re: Harsh ride

Quote Originally Posted by Oldguy View Post
    Well the big question is, did they work?
    Yes, but not a massive difference from the Hagons tbh.
    Definitely give a smoother ride over main road undulations, more of a "floaty" ride than the Hagons. But on some of the rough rural roads where I live there's not much difference.
    I've tried different air pressures and have ended up at only 3psi riding solo. I'm yet to stick the missus on the back and load up with luggage, but it's very easy to adjust them.
    Can't say I've noticed any difference in the handling.
    Seemed to cope well enough down this "road" yesterday though,,,,,,,,,,,

If speed kills,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, buy a 2CV and live for ever

Join the Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

Total Downloaded

Go for UK built Nitron shocks, I've had plenty of Hagon's in the past, and they are excellent value but behind the game now, sadly. Progressives are overpriced junk, only slightly better than stock HD crap.

Total Downloaded
    11.14 MB

I have to say replacing the Progressives with the air shocks has improved the ride, not so vicious on the rough roads we have here.
    Running at 2psi is still firm but there is more give over speed humps and potholes. Now the gel pad for the seat ---

Total Downloaded
    270.4 KB

I get a bit of carpel tunnel syndrome and suffered most from the front forks having a harsh ride. I fitted Ricor Intiminators to the forks which made a huge difference. Very easy to fit.
    I fitted top caps with filler plugs so it is easy to adjust the oil. I found that combining the Ricor inserts with a high VI fork oil like Silkolene RSF pro 2.5w oil gave much better compliance in our cooler climate
    (although not so cool now!) than the Amsoil lube Ricor suggest.

At the rear I fitted Progressive 444s mainly because I picked them up half-price a fews years back. They are 1/2 inch taller than standard, so I ride with an inch of rear suspension sag. They took
    an age to bed in (harsh ramping) but ride pretty well now.
    Last edited by Four Speed; 22-07-2018 at 12:33 AM.

Total Downloaded
    70.59 MB

Time for an update,,,,,,,,,,,,
    the air shocks were great,,,,,,,,,, two up or loaded with luggage, perfect on a trip to the Picos Europa in June.

BUT, I still found them a bit hard riding solo.
    My bike has QD luggage and screen, so when I'm not touring it's just me and a naked bike.

So today I've fitted a pair of BITUBO shocks, having trawled t'internet for recommendations.
    Only done a quick 10 mile test ride, and I've set em pretty soft to start, but 1st immpressions are very good.
    Hopefully I'll get a chance for a decent run over the weekend to set em up properly.

Which means I have a pair of RK shocks available (from a 2015 bike) in perfect nick.
    Drop me a PM if interested.
    I'll post em up in the for sale section later.
    The only snag might be the cost of postage, as I live in France, I've not checked it yet but if it proves prohibitive I will be back in the UK in December so I could always post em then.

Total Downloaded
    70.59 MB

"Hopefully I'll get a chance for a decent run over the weekend to set em up properly."

Well I sneaked an early ride, covered 150 miles today on all sorts of roads, and I'm well chuffed.
    When you order these shocks they ask for your weight and whether you carry a pillion regularly. Then the shocks are sent out set to what BITUBO think is the correct preload.
    After my initial quick blat round the block I thought they were a bit hard, so I wound off the preload to give 20mm sag with me on board.
    Riding today I found that wasn't too far out, I have taken off a little more preload during the day until I reached a point where the rear end started to get slightly bouncy. Number 2 on the rebound damping cured that.
    tbh, I never thought I'd get a decent ride quality on a Sportster, but honestly, I've owned 4 Softails and an Electra Glide Sport over the past 30 years, and now the Sportster is as good as any off them.
    This is the link that persuaded me to try these ;-
    http://www.dkcustomproducts.com/overview-of-performance-rear-shocks-r-shk-faq.htm
    but there's no need to order em from the states, they're available on ebay.

Total Downloaded

Nice to hear you are now sorted. I'll have to have a look at these.
    Air shocks are a massive good leap over the stock bits of cheap metal they used, but are a little numb if i'm honest.
    Keep us up to speed if anything changes with them.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345