Thread: New brake fail alert.... by model & year

Total Downloaded
    18.98 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: New brake fail alert.... by model & year

Its been my understanding that all vehicles that use DOT4 need regular fluid flush. The maintenance schedule for my current BMW car is every 3 years and previous was every 2 years.

Join the Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

Total Downloaded
    123.46 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Battersea View Post
    Its been my understanding that all vehicles that use DOT4 need regular fluid flush. The maintenance schedule for my current BMW car is every 3 years and previous was every 2 years.
    That is true but the vast majority of cars not required to undertake dealer servicing, especially when the warranty runs out, don't (And that's the majority of vehicles on the road). And they do not suffer catastrophic ABS brake failure as a result.

It seems to be a problem unique to some ABS equipped HDs

Total Downloaded
    230.04 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
    That is true but the vast majority of cars not required to undertake dealer servicing, especially when the warranty runs out, don't (And that's the majority of vehicles on the road). And they do not suffer catastrophic ABS brake failure as a result.

It seems to be a problem unique to some ABS equipped HDs
    Absolutely. It's a fault with one particular piece of equipment and that should be remedied with a modified part.

The thought of bikes in the future that still have this faulty part fitted and do not get regular flushes is scary.

Total Downloaded
    123.46 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TomG View Post
    The thought of bikes in the future that still have this faulty part fitted and do not get regular flushes is scary.
    My thoughts exactly... It would be interesting to see if ABS can be removed. The valve body is ugly as hell sat on front of the frame. There would need to be some kind of CAN cheat to cancel the warning light.

Total Downloaded
    230.04 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
    My thoughts exactly... It would be interesting to see if ABS can be removed. The valve body is ugly as hell sat on front of the frame. There would need to be some kind of CAN cheat to cancel the warning light.
    To be honest Phil it beggars belief that HD are willing to allow a bike on the road with a faulty braking unit and argue that a regular flush will 'sort' the problem. This could cause real issues in the future, even injury.

The only real fix is to have modified units fitted. Anything else in my view is short changing paying customers and jeopardising rider safety.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12