Thread: Belt Monkey

Total Downloaded
    409.10 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Belt Monkey

Just come across this drive belt adjuster tool...

https://www.tru-tension.co.uk/belt-monkey/

The chain version was on Dragon Den.

What do you think, thoughts, suggestions

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Join the Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

Total Downloaded
    95.99 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Belt Monkey

Think i will stick to my motion pro tension checking tool.
    Looks like you do the same amount of work using either tool.

Total Downloaded
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks to me like u do less stress to ur belt with the standard spring loaded plunger.
    Also the video add says u adjust it at the tightest spot. Attach the tool at the tightest spot tighten up the plunger, ie put you 10 lbs of play there, adjust ur wheel till there’s no play in the belt, tighten up the axel and release the tool thereby adding your 10lbs of deflection.
    Factory service Manual clearly says set looses spot to measurement in table.
    tighest spot for a chain.
    Last edited by howo; 03-03-2018 at 08:56 PM.
    OMG it started !!!!!

Total Downloaded
    523.92 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Halal Tim View Post
    Think i will stick to my motion pro tension checking tool.
    Looks like you do the same amount of work using either tool.
    +1 on that
    Darren Thomas
    Member No:010141

Total Downloaded
    72.04 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So how tight is "until the belt goes tight" I think it's easier with the stock 10lb tension tool myself.
    A.K.A. Spankey
    Region 19 Rep.
    FLSTF 2007

Total Downloaded
    409.10 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Belt Monkey

I find belt drive adjustment overly complicated when it should be simple..

Link to PDF document.. Harley Davidson wheel alignment made simple:

https://tinyurl.com/yay595ur

What a load of faffing about! That’s why I don’t adjust the drive belt myself, it’s too easy to get wheel alignment wrong when measuring or using a length of bent coat hanger wire or whatever, I leave complicated and dangerous jobs like that to the dealer.

I spent years adjusting chains on Jap bikes visually, just using guesswork and feel and aligning with the guide marks on each side of rear wheel adjuster. Never had a problem, maybe that’s more down to luck, but it would be better if Harley used this method.

I like drive belts, they’re much cleaner, less maintenance and supposed to be quieter, but they’re just so complicated. That’s why I prefer shaft drive, it’s straightforward and maintenance free. I find it strange that Harley doesn’t offer shaft drive, especially on the big tourers.

Re. belt adjustment, I don’t know exactly what is meant by loosest and tightest part of belt, why not just go for the middle. Theoretically if only 10lb pressure adjustment is required then I would assume that the correct way would be to just set the tool to 10lb, then attach it to the belt anywhere along an accessible part of the belt, preferably the middle, then adjust rear wheel until belt is tight with no more play up or down. After tightening everything up and removing the adjuster tool surely this would leave the required amount of play in the belt?

Re. the difference between the instructions from Harley and the tool manufacturer, I think it is just terminology. Using the Harley “loosest point” method would surely be exactly the same as above if the tool is attached anywhere along the horizontal part of the belt. Once everything is tightened up then surely the belt is completely tight with no slack at all and “the loosest point” only becomes “the loosest point” once the adjuster tool is removed creating a slight slack visible by applying 10lb pressure? But then again, I don’t know what i’m doing, that’s why I leave it to the dealer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Psycho; 04-03-2018 at 11:31 AM.

Total Downloaded
    248.40 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its very very good. Why, coz it saves time. Is right, the normal 10lb plunger tool is fine and actually, as you only have to push it not fit it, is easy. If the bike is on a lift fine.

BUT, the plunger tool involves grovelling around on the floor, reading glasses on and worse, is a trial/error exercise. If when you measure you see you need adjustment you have to stand up, slacken or adjust, measure again and maybe do this a few times.

easy life comes from having both. Use the plunger for the occasional check to see if adjustment needed. If it is, loosen up the axle and adjusters, pop on the monkey, take up the slack with the adjusters, tighten up the axle and job done.

AND while throwing money around get their laser alignment tool (which is unbelievably easy to use) so once slack taken up you can check you did it straight before tightening the axle.

you can actually ditch the plunger altogether for checking by using the finger and thumb technique so if you haven’t bought one already, save the dosh and just go for the monkey.

Dont be a Luddite

Total Downloaded
    523.92 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

+1 on the Pro Tension tool Easy to use

Wheel alignment. Bought a very similar tool to that shown on this video from EBay for under a fiver https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=X8wCO5pbd6M
    Darren Thomas
    Member No:010141

Total Downloaded
    248.40 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzlin View Post
    +1 on the Pro Tension tool Easy to use

Wheel alignment. Bought a very similar tool to that shown on this video from EBay for under a fiver https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=X8wCO5pbd6M
    very nice at a good price and it doesn’t need batteries either

but that’s coz its a rod not a laser beam. I like the way you can run the laser beam up and down the belt or chain and don’t have to position yourself exactly behind the bike to get the line of sight needed to use the rod. With the laser you can be at any angle and still get accuracy.

Having done all this for decades could wonder why now I spend money on such stuff, is it really needed. Could say same about a smartphone I guess