Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: M8 oil migration from transmission to primary

Total Downloaded
    518.31 MB

Re: M8 oil migration from transmission to primary

Quote Originally Posted by adm View Post
    I have not heard of this problem happening on the newer Softail M8 motors with dual balancers - they have a cable operated clutch.

So it seems it may only affect bikes with the hydraulic clutches.

Checked my tranny oil yesterday after a 1000 mile trip to France with lots of redline riding and it's absolutely fine.
    At the start of the thread the TA0022 is posted outlining the bikes affected....the FXFB is not :-)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Trans.JPG 
Views:	242 
Size:	39.2 KB 
ID:	30598
    Darren Thomas
    Member No:010141

Join the Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

Total Downloaded
    29.27 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Boy View Post
    A Friend of mine bought a second hand Honda, had it a few years and the alternator failed. It was a known fault and Honda had extended the warranty out to three years on the alternator.Unfortunately by now the Honda was now six years old and well out of warranty. My friend however had read that Honda would consider a claims on an individual basis so the dealer asked and Honda supplied the alternator free of charge and he had to pay for labour.Comparing Honda's response on an old bike to HD's on a brand new shows just how far adrift they are when it comes to customer service, sell you a T shirt though.
    Yeah, but it's harder for a T-shirt to break down!

Total Downloaded

Having just bought a new Electra Glide Ultra Anniversary, I'm a bit worried now Does anyone know what percentage of affected bikes HD think may have this problem?

Cheers,
    Dom.

Total Downloaded
    81.40 MB

All of them, with the hydraulic clutch.

Total Downloaded
    49.01 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Halal Tim View Post
    All of them, with the hydraulic clutch.
    Yep - agreed.

Total Downloaded
    266.02 MB

To be clear not every individual bike from an affected series has the problem, only a certain percentage. That makes it even more of a lottery. You could be OK or not.

Unfortunately you won’t know until you check your transmission oil and it has gone down on the dipstick. If it’s not on the floor, it’s in your primary!

The only thing I suggest, is to add checking the tranny regularly before each trip. It is what I now do. Does not stop the migration of course but alerts me to what is happening.

R19 Asst. Rep.

Total Downloaded

well I thought it was starting to happen to my 2017 Street glide CVO due to the point that a couple of weeks back the gear box started to play up and stick in third upon checking the box the oil wasn't even on the stick so ive filled it to the correct level and 500 miles later its still at the same level so fingers crossed that it was just low on oil, I aint removed the Darby cover on the primary yet to see if the oil had moved house to there but hopefully its at the correct level in the primary. There was a guy on youtube who had the migrating problem and he checked the oil in the primary whilst on the jiffy stand which is in correct if I'm not mistaken the bike should be up right but I may stand to be corrected if I'm wrong

Total Downloaded
    266.02 MB

Had a long chat with Robert Gunter at the International...who has the same problem on his Street Glide Special. We shared 'notes' on how we are approaching the dealers/H-D and will keep in touch on progress.

On my way back to my tent one day, I walked passed a 2017 M8 Ultra Limited (same as mine) and decided to have a chat to the owner. He thought I was taking the piss and had not heard of this issue. I tried to assure him IT IS REAL. Anyways on Sunday I was packing up to leave and he comes up to me and thanks me for alerting him...he had checked his transmission oil level and it was not showing any on the dipstick! He has had the bike 2 months and told me he was going back to his suppling dealer this week...hope you work something out buddy...

Anyone who has an M8 with hydraulic clutch (therefore NOT Softails) PLEASE CHECK YOUR TRANSMISSION OIL LEVEL

R19 Asst. Rep.

Total Downloaded
    266.02 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Army View Post
    well I thought it was starting to happen to my 2017 Street glide CVO due to the point that a couple of weeks back the gear box started to play up and stick in third upon checking the box the oil wasn't even on the stick so ive filled it to the correct level and 500 miles later its still at the same level so fingers crossed that it was just low on oil, I aint removed the Darby cover on the primary yet to see if the oil had moved house to there but hopefully its at the correct level in the primary. There was a guy on youtube who had the migrating problem and he checked the oil in the primary whilst on the jiffy stand which is in correct if I'm not mistaken the bike should be up right but I may stand to be corrected if I'm wrong
    Service manual says upright not on jiffy stand.

R19 Asst. Rep.

Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by Ulysses View Post
    Service manual says upright not on jiffy stand.
    yep I thought the primary should be checked in the up right position, ive kept an eye on mine over the last 600 miles and everything seems ok but we will see

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast