Thread: M8 oil migration from transmission to primary

Total Downloaded
    266.18 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: M8 oil migration from transmission to primary

I rode a TC Road King for 10-years before buying the M8. So when I moved to the M8 there were obvious big differences.

Ultra Limited M8 cf. Ultra Limited TC
    - the 'ride ability' of the M8 is very noticeable
    - the power delivery is much better. The M8 roll-on power was excellent on overtakes...just twist and get more speed. The TC needs more of a handful or drop a gear which does not suit my riding style
    - the handling is noticeably better (for me). The M8 feels very planted when you tip into a corner and happily goes where you steer it, even if corrections are needed mid-corner (yeah, I know). The TC certainly goes where you point it but seems more determined to go where you initially put it rather than where you now need it to be
    - the weight distribution seems better tuned to my style than the TC. It just feels right and balanced. I think there is only 2 or 3 Kgs difference in weight so not down to that
    - 1st gear engagement was slicker
    - vibration through bars almost non-existent...though not that bad on Rushmore TC

Of course some of this could be down to my disappointment at moving 'back' to a TC from the M8...a move I did not want to make and on a 4-year old one at that...

R19 Asst. Rep.

Join the Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

Total Downloaded
    409.10 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The M8 sounds much better, glad I decided to wait. The 2019 model also has the 114 engine and improved boom box.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Total Downloaded
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do Vic over the years I've owned a few different offerings from HD including the Twin Cam and I loved the twin cam but this M8 motor is just sweeter its quicker on acceleration the characteristics are very different to the twin cam, the new bikes do handle much better and the latest boom box is superb the sat nav took us to the 4 corners of France without a single recalculate recalculate. The choice will always be the buyers and my advice is ride a couple of the new bikes and make your own mind up.

Total Downloaded
    115.46 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

H-D believes they have sorted the problem on the 2019 models with upgrades to the oil pump and transmission input shaft
    Oil Pump:
    62400125 COVER, oil pump assembly replaced with a modified part 62400206, which includes an oil seal p/n 62400205
    Transmission:
    p/n 36300026 OIL DEFLECTOR fitted on end of input shaft 35467-06C

Total Downloaded
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    H-D believes they have sorted the problem on the 2019 models with upgrades to the oil pump and transmission input shaft
    Oil Pump:
    62400125 COVER, oil pump assembly replaced with a modified part 62400206, which includes an oil seal p/n 62400205
    Transmission:
    p/n 36300026 OIL DEFLECTOR fitted on end of input shaft 35467-06C
    how do Roger any idea if this will be on a recall basis

Total Downloaded
    109.89 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Army View Post
    any idea if this will be on a recall basis
    No. They are design ''improvements''. But the informed owner will want them retrofitted at the next service.

A dealer offered me a test ride on a 2018 Road Glide yesterday......''exactly same as 2019s but without the upgraded stereo/satnav system''

I told him I would wait until the 2019 demo bikes came in, as the improved clutch engagement field made for a far better ride, reportedly, thanks to the new spring part (mentioned above).

He appeared not to know about that.

Total Downloaded
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yep it was odd that at a local dealership the desk didn't know F$£k all about the issue but the mechanic did, no lets rewind the fitter did, I say fiiter coz they wouldn't know how to rebuild a gearbox or anything really. I had a nasty incident a few years ago when a certain fitter and one of the better ones at that fitted a set of apes on my softail custom I rode for over a 100 miles back home and I braked at my garage door and the apes turned into café racer clips ons the bars didn't have any knurling so he just bolted them up cracking a clamp and he thought it was ok but they had no grip whatsoever

Total Downloaded
    49.01 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This appears to be the fix - getting great reviews ...

https://m.facebook.com/groups/566029...37490579787059

Total Downloaded
    409.10 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Lane View Post
    This appears to be the fix - getting great reviews ...

https://m.facebook.com/groups/566029...37490579787059
    I thought the Harley had sorted the problem now as mentioned by Roger in Post #84 in this thread.

Total Downloaded
    109.89 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The problem seems to have vanished with all 2019 models. The fix mentioned above by Alex is being recommended on USA forums for owners of 2017 and 2018 Milwaukee Eights that have the issue. There's not many, relatively speaking, but they make a lot of noise. And rightly so. Despite what one owner claims in that Facebook link thread, H-D did address the issue, by fitting its own version of that aftermarket fix to all hydraulic-clutch 2019s.

They also changed the oil-pump cover to fix the wet-sumping. I detailed these changes in a previous post on this thread.

I may be missing something, but as of today I still have not seen one report anywhere that 2019s have had any of the issues that affected a few 2017s and 2018s.

Which is why I have a 2019 on order.
    Last edited by kiwidave; 25-01-2019 at 03:21 AM.

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast