Thread: M8 oil migration from transmission to primary

Total Downloaded
    46.79 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: M8 oil migration from transmission to primary

Rob Gunter in Region 7 has fitted one and is trialing it.

Join the Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

Total Downloaded
    109.89 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The problem seems to be a vacuum that draws gearbox oil into the primary. This is the major issue still being experienced by some 2019 models but **ONLY** those with the hydrauic clutch i.e. touring bikes.

There are three current fixes, each of them have fans that say they work.

1/ A fatter clutch pushrod being made by Macomb County Choppers in Georgia (pictured earlier in this thread, look them up on Facebook). They seem to have sold several hundred. This fix blocks the ''pathway'' through the mainshaft by simply offering less room for the oil to move in.

2/ removing metal from a boss inside the gearbox side cover, as described by xr1000 above, which prevents swirling gearbox oil from accumulating at a high level in the sidecover and (apparently) being sucked down the pushrod in the hollow mainshaft and into the primary

3/ new H-D part 94100065, inner primary vent kit, (Pictures below) not available to the public yet but being offered by dealerships as a fix. And it apparently also works. Many good reports. Amusingly, this returns the Milwaukee 8 primay to a similar set-up to the stock Shovelhead primary. LOL

I am awaiting #3 from my friendly dealer who have two other customers who are similarly experiencing migration, as I am. They will fit for free under warranty, naturally. I showed them videos of the migration I experienced on my 2019 FLTRX after checking levels before 1000 mile service. No issues, they are happy to fix.

No panic here. Bike runs awesome. I have done 3000km in the first month and I love it. And after years of working on Shovelheads, a little oil migration isn't going to turn me into a crybaby. The bike is incredible. Yes it shouldn't be happening, but the dealers are stepping up. And there are non-dealership alternatives with similarly good feedback for those who prefer that route.

H-D vent kit details: (new at end of January 2019)

Last edited by kiwidave; 05-05-2019 at 01:01 PM.

Total Downloaded
    49.01 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kiwidave View Post
    I showed them videos of the migration I experienced on my 2019 FLTRX
    Oh no - sorry to hear this Dave. Here I was thinking that they'd finally got their shit together for the 2019's . Should have known better.

Total Downloaded
    109.89 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It’s really not a big deal to me. Whole lotta shouting going on, on the Internet, but it’s just a slight inconvenience at this stage. There’s a Vent kit with my name on it.

When i I read about the issues so many buyers have with new cars, I feel pretty relaxed about this. Maybe it’s because I’ve had so many issues with old bikes over the years ... :-)

Total Downloaded
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kiwidave View Post
    It’s really not a big deal to me. Whole lotta shouting going on, on the Internet, but it’s just a slight inconvenience at this stage. There’s a Vent kit with my name on it.

When i I read about the issues so many buyers have with new cars, I feel pretty relaxed about this. Maybe it’s because I’ve had so many issues with old bikes over the years ... :-)
    How do Dave like your goodself I love my M8 I have mine booked in at Preston on Wednesday afternoon for the recall as I have previously said my CVO street Glide is superb and without any migration and as you have said its not a huge deal more of a niggle but then again tell me about a vehicle of any description that has not suffered either a recall or a common fault the twin cam had a few issues over the years

Total Downloaded
    75.17 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've just had my M8 back after having the 0173 clutch recall done, also as i'd noticed oil level in Transmission didn't even register on the dipstick, so they drained out the primary and replenished primary and transmission oil .
    So after having it back and done 197 miles, dipstick low on transmission , topped up to halfway on dipstick , done a further 163 miles , dipstick low again.
    So called dealer and told them i'm not happy and mentioned the H-D vent kit but all this done on email , phone call back from dealer said he's ordering the part in for me , and will rectify this issue , so just have to wait now .

Total Downloaded
    29.27 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It really isn't good enough is it?

Total Downloaded
    49.01 MB