Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: M8 oil migration from transmission to primary

Total Downloaded
    232.56 MB

M8 oil migration from transmission to primary

I was asked to post up this issue following conversations at the AGM.

Some of you may already be aware, others not, that there is a known issue with SOME model families and SOME bikes within those model ranges. Note I am saying SOME...that means not all. The problem is worse if you ride at higher rpm's. 3500 are mentioned by H-D.

The problem with affected (or should that be afflicted) bikes is that oil is migrating from the transmission to the primary in various amounts from a 'little' to the 'whole lot'! I am sure the techies amongst you are already thinking you know why that is happening...maybe you do but H-D HAVE NO KNOWN FIX FOR THIS ISSUE. They have tried and are trying several things...some have worked on some affected bikes but not others. The dealers were made aware in September 2017 via a H-D technical announcement TA0022 (attached). Bear in mind this list os from mid-2017 and many more M8 models are out since then...I have no idea if they are potentially affected. Don't ask me ask your dealer.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TA0022.jpg 
Views:	401 
Size:	13.3 KB 
ID:	30346

TA0022.pdf

I have ridden over 5,000 miles on my 2017 Ultra Limited and enjoyed every one of them with no thought or cause for concern...until I did some Googling. If you do the same you will find LOTS of scary stories. A few of the links below. Upon checking my transmission oil level there was nothing registering on the dip stick! So, the dealer dropped all the oils and refilled at the 1,000 mile service but no checks since then, I do check my engine oil level regularly but not the tranny.

I asked my supplying dealer to collect my bike and 'check it over' which they did without hesitation, accepting that this was now a known problem. I was informed that "...some oil had migrated...but not as bad as some bikes where upon removing the derby cover the oil had poured out...", If you read TA0022, the official H-D advice is for the dealer to "...oil fill to the correct levels...send the customer away...get them to come back if/when the tranny level drops...". Some US owners are reporting full migration in less than 500 miles! I don't know about how many miles I have to ride...time will tell.

The US authorities know about the issue but because it is not deemed to be 'life threatening' are not requiring H-D to do a recall and a voluntary recall is not forthcoming or likely. This bit I don't understand (well to be fair I don't understand the techie bit either), riding a bike without the required oil level in the gearbox is an issue...riding the bike with too much oil in the primary is an issue. I can only imagine riding down the road and the gearbox malfunctions and/or the clutch does not operate effectively...neither sounds too good to this rider.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwa...fluid-201.html

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwa...fix-is-in.html

http://harleytechtalk.com/index.php?...&topic=96613.0
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails TA0022.jpg  
    Last edited by Ulysses; 19-03-2018 at 11:29 AM.

R19 Asst. Rep.

Join the Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

Total Downloaded
    499.41 MB

Re: M8 oil migration from transmission to primary

Not great for owners (especially if tours are planned), but I guess the benefit of this is..........those affected will get Free of Charge oil changes until HD solve the issue on a future recall
    Darren Thomas
    Member No:010141

Total Downloaded
    23.58 MB

Can't believe HD do not have a solution after 6 months. Talking to Geoff at the AGM there are a lot of folk looking do for a fix (not HD) so hopefully there will soon be a solution.
    A.K.A. Spankey
    Region 19 Representative.
    FLSTF 2007

Total Downloaded
    49.01 MB

The latest from HD on January 31st this year is what they're calling a 'Transmission oil deflector kit'. It's a plug that you push into the end of the mainshaft. Instruction number J06703, part number part number 36300028.

https://estore.chester-harley-davids...8-p138135.html

Yep - they want you to pay to fix their shit design.

Total Downloaded
    232.56 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Lane View Post
    The latest from HD on January 31st this year is what they're calling a 'Transmission oil deflector kit'. It's a plug that you push into the end of the mainshaft. Instruction number J06703, part number part number 36300028.

https://estore.chester-harley-davids...8-p138135.html

Yep - they want you to pay to fix their shit design.
    Alex, I heard that this 'fixes' some bikes but not others.

Interestingly, the HD techserviceinfo bulletin has been taken down concerning this part when HD realised that it was out in the public domain rather than just to their dealers but I copied it before it was taken down if anyone is interested. . Chester HD and one in Germany seem to be the only source of this. The US forums I quoted earlier are all over this and confirm it has helped some bikes but by no means all...

R19 Asst. Rep.

Total Downloaded
    109.89 MB

M8 owners might find this useful.....

Last edited by kiwidave; 21-03-2018 at 03:01 AM.

Total Downloaded

Happening to mine.
    checked tranny dipstick at 2700 miles having been serviced at 1000 by dealer. Dry as a bone....

Took 250 ml to top up to dipstick level. Reported issue with HD Swansea and Cheltenham.
    Advice is to monitor.....and top up as necessary..... which is not what you want to hear!
    Reported officially to HD Customer Services UK....

I would urge others with similar to do likewise.... otherwise Harley aren’t going to know how common problem is.
    Word of mouth means nothing.... get it officially recorded!!
    If enough complaints are registered Harley will have to come up with answers.

By the way..... when Harley get to look at my bike, whoever removes the Derby cover are going to have oil spew out of it..... coz I’m not touching it whilst under warranty!!

Total Downloaded
    49.01 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Gunter View Post
    Harley aren’t going to know how common problem is.
    I dare say they do know but they don't care. They've had your money.

Total Downloaded

Fine.... until one seizes up and kills someone!

Total Downloaded
    232.56 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Gunter View Post
    Fine.... until one seizes up and kills someone!
    I agree with you. Fecking disgrace of a company...

R19 Asst. Rep.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast