Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: M8 oil migration from transmission to primary

Total Downloaded
    232.56 MB

Re: M8 oil migration from transmission to primary

I have just sent some of my research and notes on this issue to two member’s with this issue on their M8’s. I am certainly no legal expert but have done a lot of research and taken professional legal advice since January concerning my bike.

I have now legally rejected it under Section 9 and 10 of the Consumer Rights Act 2015 after a year of use and 7,500 miles covered. This Act dictates the supplying dealer is in breach of contract and not the MoCo.

I have agreed a replacement bike (not an M8!) plus inclusive service, extended warranty, parts & accessory transfer and a cash payment to me to make up the refund the dealer legally has to make. The actual refund amount is not stated in Law but the process to negotiate a figure is.

It took a while and rejecting several of their offers before they finally agreed what I asked for. There is no substitute for knowing the Law, your rights and obligations and following guidance. The Law was and is on my side and anybody else with an affected bike since we have done nothing wrong. To be fair neither has the dealership who have to supply the bikes the MoCo provides and follow what their service/repair instructions are...despite being shit.

If any other M8 owning member with this Oil Migration Issue wants to receive my notes just send me a PM.

This long running dispute is coming to an end for me but I suspect a few of you will have to go through similar trials and tribulations over the coming months. Good luck.

R19 Asst. Rep.

Join the Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

Total Downloaded
    81.16 MB

What new bike are you getting geoff?

Total Downloaded
    232.56 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Halal Tim View Post
    What new bike are you getting geoff?
    Ultra Limited, 103" Twin Cam

Going 'backwards' to go 'forwards' and simply ride my bike and not worry...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	H-D-UltraLimited-2016.jpg 
Views:	275 
Size:	110.7 KB 
ID:	30762

R19 Asst. Rep.

Total Downloaded
    46.79 MB

Afternoon.

Well done Geoff. They depend on people rolling over and not taking things to their rightful conclusion. The car trade would never get away with it. Our rear discs failed on our car after about 20k and they were changed under warranty and they gave us a free five year warranty extension as compensation.

Total Downloaded
    81.16 MB

Nice choice. Done 27k on mine with no real issues.
    The only advice i would offer is get it set up on dyno, as they come lean in stock form. I had mine done as soon as i got it, by boz. Ran a lot better. Then i sent it to alex last winter, for some minor head work, and re-dyno..
    Runs a damn sight better.

Total Downloaded

How do Geoff apart from the oil migration what were the other issues with the M8, I love the bike and for now I can live with the oil issue in fact the main issue that annoys me is the top end restriction that affects the M8

Total Downloaded
    232.56 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Army View Post
    How do Geoff apart from the oil migration what were the other issues with the M8, I love the bike and for now I can live with the oil issue in fact the main issue that annoys me is the top end restriction that affects the M8
    I did not experience these on my M8 but other owners have seen and reported on US forums:

1. Oil “sumping” where an excessive amount of oil is suspended in the crankcase and the flywheel has to get through all this Oil with potential loss of power or worse. The MoCo do have a fix for affected bikes (see attachment). Note this can affect ANY M8 model, including Softails.

2. Loose valve seats. See the video highlighted by Fast Lane Headworks https://www.facebook.com/10015779218...4969685867181/

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DE9216B6-3F27-4B06-A878-D6DD01B3CBD2.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	9.7 KB 
ID:	30765

R19 Asst. Rep.

Total Downloaded
    109.89 MB

I do wonder how prevalent these issues are. In percentage terms of overall models shipped since 2016.

*Most* problems seem to have emerged with hot-rodded motors.

Not all. And yes, I have read this thread fully. And US forums extensively.

I'm a prospective buyer and I am watching very closely to see what happens with 2019 model upgrades.

As a personal point of reference, I'm not adverse to a used model, but I would probably prefer one built after October 2017, when the oil pump was upgraded.

YES I am aware that some owners of stock bikes have been affected.
    YES I believe the owner anger on here
    YES I am aware that some factory ''fixes'' reportedly did not work.

But I am also asking: ''Did every 1999 Twin Cam grenade because of the cam bearing and cam chain tensioners?''

Answer: NO.

But even in those early internet days, it sure read like it.....

Total Downloaded
    81.16 MB

Quote Originally Posted by kiwidave View Post
    I do wonder how prevalent these issues are.

But I am also asking: ''Did every 1999 Twin Cam grenade because of the cam bearing and cam chain tensioners?''

Answer: NO.

But even in those early internet days, it sure read like it.....
    Theres a danger with reading the US forums.
    When i bought my rushmore, i used to read the US sites daily, for info. Plenty of tales if woe, cam bearings, wheel bearings, oil pumps, electrics.
    You can scare yourself stupid believing all the crap posted.
    Not had any issues in 27k.
    I got alex to change the cam bearings and shoes.
    No wear at all. So as dave says, dont believe everything you read. I would also suggest a lot of problems stem from idiots modifying the bikes incorrectly, or plain bad servicing.
    However, any new model, as the M8 motor is, is allways a risk.
    I feel sometimes your doing part of the R&D for the company you get the vehicle from.
    Last edited by Halal Tim; 13-07-2018 at 10:12 AM.

Total Downloaded

This is something that I have said for long enough, all models through out the ages have had issue and that goes for every company I remember 2 shovel owners in the 1970s who vowed never to own another Harley I do remember their bikes being off the road for a very long time but hey others will have had a trouble free ride, I had a twin cam and a Rushmore that had many trouble free miles and up to now I think my M8 CVO is superb I aint keen on the top end restriction but I suppose that will be bypassed by someone and HD will resolve the oil issue.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast