Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: M8 oil migration from transmission to primary

Total Downloaded
    409.10 MB

M8 oil migration from transmission to primary

Last week I went to Manchester Harley-Davidson. I mentioned this issue to a salesman to see if anything has been done to rectify it on brand new bikes. He said they’ve never seen or heard anything about this problem and there are no issues at all with the M8 engine!!

I told him to just have a look on the internet on forums etc. He said they don’t go on forums, etc, because there is too much rubbish posted and this is exactly the type of scaremongering to be avoided. He told me to just ask any of their mechanics who would confirm that the M8 engine has no faults and is the best engine Harley have ever produced.

Maybe he genuinely hadn’t come across this or other problems, but as I left the dealership I couldn’t help glancing back to see if his nose had grown any longer

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Psycho; 09-10-2018 at 03:11 PM.

Join the Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

Total Downloaded
    81.16 MB

Re: M8 oil migration from transmission to primary

99% of Dealership sales people are liars.
    The other 1% are still in training.

Total Downloaded
    10.72 MB

FWIW, a couple of months ago I had to visit a very large dealership in Sacremento, California (to rectify a fault on a rented M8 engined bike). I asked the service manager about the oil migration problem and he said that they were aware of it, but had only 1 case come through their workshop despite having a massive client base for servicing, warranty and repairs. He put a lot of the "noise" down to keyboard warriors kicking off. I told him the sad tale of Ulysses and his new bike and his reaction was something along the lines of "that's very unlucky". Just saying.
    As an aside, he went the extra mile for us and got us back on the road 3 hours later. They didn't have the parts in stock but phoned the H-D warranty department and got permission to rob the bits off a showroom bike and fit to our Eagle Rider rental. Not sure if a UK dealer would go that far.
    Life is such a bitch, that's why I sing the blues. :s:

Total Downloaded
    109.89 MB

You're going to have to assume the salesman will not even know about that stuff, let alone confirm or deny. I'm hearing blissful ignorance from the sales person about 2019 bikes every time I go window shopping.

I mean, look at this again!

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho View Post
    Last week I went to Manchester Harley-Davidson. I mentioned this issue to a salesman to see if anything has been done to rectify it on brand new bikes. He said they’ve never seen or heard anything about this problem and there are no issues at all with the M8 engine!!
    If the salesman knew anything at all about what he was selling, he would have run these points past you:

On oil migration from gearbox to primary, the H-D fix available to service depts (that rubber seal) for affected 2017s and 2018s is now standard on all 2019s. I understand this has only been an issue with hydraulic-clutch models.

On sumping, 2018s built after 10/10/2017 have the latest (7th or so) version of the M8 oil pump.
    2019 models also have a new oil pump cap with seal to address the sumping. Sumping has appeared to be most common on pre October 2017 bikes, espcially those that have had long runs at high speeds, souped-up ones, and CVOs

On clutch engagement, 2019s now have a new (thicker) $US12 ''damper'' ring in the clutch pack to silence many complaints from owners of 17s and 18s about clutch engagement. It can be retro-fitted.

I am seeing very few issues reported with 2019 model year bikes so far. But if you hang around the internet long enough, shit will happen.

Seems to me that way less than 1 per cent of bikes have had any issues, and almost all appear to have been 2017 or early 2018 models.

Just an impression I have after a year of reading and interpreting a lot of rider/owner reports. And some inside information from dealers. H-D certainly seems to be working hard to address the issues. Meanwhile, the vast majority of M8 owners are raving about the new engine.

And, lest anyone thinks I am an apologist for the motor company, check my 16 years of contributions here. Let's not blow it out of proportion. Have you READ about the number of new-car buyers across all brands experiencing big issues with month-old vehicles? It's epidemic. Shit is not being built how it used to be, across all forms of transportation.

Oh, except horses.
    Last edited by kiwidave; 10-10-2018 at 05:15 AM.
    1980 FXWG / 1985 FXEF / 1984-2008 UK / now in Melbourne, Australia

Total Downloaded
    251.46 MB

I would buy another M8 in a heartbeat when the MoCo say categorically they know the issues and all are fixed on bikes from a given date!

I absolutely loved my M8 Ultra Limited, apart from the documented issue, and my 'replacement' 2014 TC Ultra Limited is not a patch on the M8. I effectively rode them back to back and the M8 is way better in all aspects that I care about.

R19 Asst. Rep.

Total Downloaded
    115.46 MB

A mechanic at my dealer seem to be happy that the problem is now fixed on the newer models. Hope so, I pick up an FLRT on Tuesday. Will report back on whether or not I encounter this problem.

Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by Ulysses View Post
    I would buy another M8 in a heartbeat when the MoCo say categorically they know the issues and all are fixed on bikes from a given date!

I absolutely loved my M8 Ultra Limited, apart from the documented issue, and my 'replacement' 2014 TC Ultra Limited is not a patch on the M8. I effectively rode them back to back and the M8 is way better in all aspects that I care about.
    How do Geoff I rode my Street Glide CVO over 3000 miles in France without a hiccup ( the bike not me ) and when I arrived back in the land of rain AKA Cumbria I checked the trans and primary and not a drip had moved house I have covered 7000 this year and its a cracking motor I have fitted TAB slips ons and intend fitting headers without the CAT and a cam plus taking it over to Dyno jet at Garstang but up to now not a problem its a great bike. I do like the latest CVO Road Glide its looks a cool dude

Total Downloaded
    409.10 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Ulysses View Post
    Please would you elaborate. What do you mean by “not a patch on the M8”? I’m interested in what the differences are between the M8 and the TC?
    This is the bike I’m interested in but I’ve been putting off doing anything due to all the reported faults. My wife keeps telling me to go for one of the last TCs but I’m waiting for the 2019 model to hit the showrooms.

Total Downloaded
    109.89 MB

The major differences are:

The M8 has twin-plug and four-valve heads on each cylinder....achieving more power and torque (mostly torque) while meeting emissions laws

And one camshaft, just like the Evo and its predecessors. Big thumbs-up for simplicity.

I've read a lot of reports from long-term TC owners who have made the switch. Overwhelmingly, they share the view of Ulysses. Quantum leap.

I'm totally comfortable with a 2019. That's the plan in the new year.

PS: It is *extremely* likely that the touring range will migrate to the monoshock/''softail look'' chassis for 2020 model year, just as the old Dynas have done. That's visually not too appealing to me. The new range of Low Riders/Fat Bobs etc are highly rated but I dislike the higher ''one frame fits all'' aesthetic.
    Last edited by kiwidave; 11-10-2018 at 11:22 PM.
    1980 FXWG / 1985 FXEF / 1984-2008 UK / now in Melbourne, Australia

Total Downloaded
    409.10 MB

Quote Originally Posted by kiwidave View Post
    The major differences are:

The M8 has twin-plug and four-valve heads on each cylinder....achieving more power and torque (mostly torque) while meeting emissions laws

And one camshaft, just like the Evo and its predecessors. Big thumbs-up for simplicity.
    Sorry, I should have been clearer.. I already knew about the 4 plugs and single cam..

With him saying TC wasn’t a patch on M8 what I wanted to know is what are the differences from the perspective of someone who has owned both M8 and TC versions of the same bike.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast