Thread: Help with error code please

Total Downloaded

Help with error code please

Hi guys was wondering if someone could shed a bit of light on a problem my Heritage has just started with.
    I've just taken it out of hibernation for the winter. She wouldn't start because of a low battery even though shed been on an optimate all winter. I fitted an new battery and she starts fine now but I have another problem

On the ride to the meet last night I had an engine warning light come on on my speedo. My Bike is an 05 Heritage softail 1450 injection.

The light came on when I hit 70mph in 5th gear or 60 in 4th, 40 in 3rd...ect.... if I slowed the reves down it would go out again until I hit the majic speed. Dispite the warning light it ran smooth and would still accelerate to well over 70.
    I've had a fiddle about and a search on the net and found out how to look at the fault codes, the only code it shows is P1353 (Front Cylinder No Combustion)?
    I dont think it's that as the bike was smooth.

Anybody have any other ideas as to what it might be?
    I got the code from this site btw
    https://www.fuelmotousa.com/p-29661-harley-trouble-codes.ht…

Thanks Joe

Join the Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

Total Downloaded
    2.14 MB

Re: Help with error code please

Hi Joe
    Check your front brake light switch,
    If your brake light comes on after some time it brings the check engine light on,
    well it did on my 14 dyna , a bit of wd40 in the switch and it was all good.

Gaz
    The oldest biker in the village.

Total Downloaded

Thanks Gary, one of the lads at the meet suggested this too, but he had been riding behind me while the engine light was going on and off and never noticed my brake light stay on, I did check it but cant find anything noticeable.

Thanks Though

Total Downloaded

Don't take this as Gospel but I seem to remember a post some years ago with very similar probs. From memory it was caused by the Spark Plug/Plug Lead. Might be worth changing Plug and testing then Plug Lead and retesting.
    HTH. Good luck...Pat.

Total Downloaded
    29.27 MB

A few years ago, I had a problem with the engine light on a Cross Bones under warranty. At the time I hadn't linked the burnt out rear brake light/wiring with it and the dealer hadn't either, until there was no other option than to sit back and think about it while they took the opportunity to fix the rear light. The blown rear light had burnt out the wiring all the way back to the ECU if I remember correctly (sounds wrong now though) and was simply an error because of that. Replaced the blown item and wiring and never any problem after that.

Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by wilkyman View Post
    A few years ago, I had a problem with the engine light on a Cross Bones under warranty. At the time I hadn't linked the burnt out rear brake light/wiring with it and the dealer hadn't either, until there was no other option than to sit back and think about it while they took the opportunity to fix the rear light. The blown rear light had burnt out the wiring all the way back to the ECU if I remember correctly (sounds wrong now though) and was simply an error because of that. Replaced the blown item and wiring and never any problem after that.
    Christ! I hope it's just a damp plug lead.
    I've looked a few forum for the fault code and there's a few posts saying that it could be the spark plug and to only use Harley Davidson spark plugs. Do HD make spark plugs?

Total Downloaded
    10.24 MB

Quote Originally Posted by jcmental View Post
    Christ! I hope it's just a damp plug lead.
    I've looked a few forum for the fault code and there's a few posts saying that it could be the spark plug and to only use Harley Davidson spark plugs. Do HD make spark plugs?
    Good topic! I have a similar problem,when I accelerate hard my warning light comes on just as you described. But if I don't thrash it and get up to speed it gets up to top end without problems, I will check out brake lights and ignition system . Thanks for the info!

Total Downloaded

Oh BTW the code was right, I must have knocked my front plug lead lose when I ACF50'd the bike for winter storage. When I checked it the front cylinder plug cap was just resting on the plug, pushed it home and problem sorted, all I can think is at certain revs it was vibrating to far for the spark to jump.

Thanks for the help chaps.

Total Downloaded

Hope this can help for future code readings
    - https://www.fuelmotousa.com/p-29661-...ble-codes.html