Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Horrible Noise On Start Up.

Total Downloaded
    3.17 MB

Horrible Noise On Start Up.

I have a 2001 1550 Twin Cam with 55000 miles on the clock which has always started fine apart from one dead starter clutch which was replaced, but a few weeks ago there was a horrible noise coming from the primary chain case when I tried to start the bike, when the casing was removed I found 1 tooth broken off of the jackshaft & 6 teeth off of the starter ring gear.

These parts were replaced & all was fine until the 6th time I went to start the bike it happened again only this time the jackshaft was ok but 2 teeth were broken off of the starter ring gear.

Has anyone had anything similar or have any ideas what the cause could be.

My thougths are:- Battery dieing under load, starter motor not producing enough power to turn the engine but enough to knock the teeth off the starter ring ??

Assistant Rep.

Join the Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

Total Downloaded
    23.58 MB

Re: Horrible Noise On Start Up.

Hi Feather, last time I had a battery problem I found this post for testing the charging etc. Link
    Read down the thread as well some other ideas to try, battery, earth connections etc. Might be worth a try.
    Last edited by spakey; 25-04-2018 at 06:08 PM.
    A.K.A. Spankey
    Region 19 Representative.
    FLSTF 2007

Total Downloaded
    21.02 MB

Possibly a bad contact on the starter solenoid. These used to be rebuildable, but prob not nowadays. Had a similar prob many years ago on me old shovel. It was all down to the starter switch, a part about as big as yer finger end. A poor contact on the switch meant that the starter mech was engaging/disengaging any old how. This caused many problems further down the line. The solenoids used to have 2 copper contacts about the size of a 2p piece & over time they got blackened with use. It was possible to dismantle the solenoid & clean these contacts & away you go. In my case, the bad switch meant that the jackshft was going in & out like a fiddlers elbow, which wore away the ring gear, which lead to steel splinters working their way around the oiling system ( most shovels shared the primary lube with the engine oil) & eventually fect my oil pump. Replacing that was fun. NOT! Hope you have better luck.

Total Downloaded
    113.35 MB

The big concern is what keeps causing teeth to break, which indicates a mechanical rather than electrical problem.

The only other thing i can think of is the solenoid has a coil that both engages the solenoid and starts the motor spinning at low torque at the same time. This means the motor has some momentum when the teeth engage and the gears do not hit end to end. A fault in that circuit may cause the gears to not engage correctly. I have never actualy experienced this failure mode though.
    Last edited by Gizmo; 25-04-2018 at 08:56 PM.
    There are two kinds of people in this world
    1) Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data.

Total Downloaded
    49.01 MB

As I mentioned in the email, try holding down one of the decompressors as you start the bike. If this eliminates the problem then it indicates that the cranking pressure is too high. Do the head breathers feed into the intake and which cams do you have in there? Does it use any oil?
    Last edited by Fast Lane; 27-04-2018 at 05:56 PM.

Total Downloaded
    3.17 MB

Many thanks to you all, I now have a list of things to go through & will post on here when I hopefully find the cause & solution.

Assistant Rep.

Total Downloaded
    178.87 MB

I have this problem on my 07 Dyna and posted the very same question. Mine fine on cold start but a hot start results in the engine smashing itself back to life. I was give a myriad of suggestion and I'm gradually working my way through the list starting at the easiest or cheapest first
    Region 17 Assistant Rep to Steve Morris

To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

Total Downloaded
    178.87 MB

Also check out my post 'Bugger To Start' for more answers to this problem.

To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

Total Downloaded
    11.00 MB

i had a similar problem with the clattering and banging on a hot start and (touchwood) cured it by fitting the screaming eagle compensator. 2010 street glide. no problems at all last year since fitting it.

Total Downloaded
    178.87 MB

Still kicking this problem around, and having You tubed 'Harley hot start problem'? it keeps coming up with the compensator assy. So now do I go Screaming Eagle or the Baker conversion? The bikes 07 Dyna FXDC and I'm led to believe I don't just need the compensator assy at $499.00 but more! later models may not? Anyone whos gone this route who can give advice would be much appreciated

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast